Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake -- SOOO GOOD!!!

Options
kksn
kksn Posts: 122 Member
Hi All!

I found this incredible cake recipe (Cooking Light) for an Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake. It is really sooo good, but I have a question about nutrition. A serving is 255 calories and 5 g fat. A single serving is certainly more than enough because it is so filling, but I'm wondering, for a dessert, are those numbers reasonable? I don't have trouble staying within my calorie goal for day, so I'm not worried about total calories, I guess I'm just curious about the proportion of my daily calories going to a dessert. Here's the link to the recipe if you want to see more about the ingredients or nutritional info:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001723427

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I am going home tonight and make it :laugh:
  • leadvocalchick
    leadvocalchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    WOW - I am SOOOO making this over the weekend!!!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I found this incredible cake recipe (Cooking Light) for an Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake. It is really sooo good, but I have a question about nutrition. A serving is 255 calories and 5 g fat. A single serving is certainly more than enough because it is so filling, but I'm wondering, for a dessert, are those numbers reasonable?
    255 calories is not much in the overall scheme of things. If you eat 1200 cals/day you still have almost 1,000 calories left from other sources. More if you exercise!
    If you're within your calories and daily fat goal/cholesterol/sodium/sugar, etc. I'd say go for it.
  • kksn
    kksn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input on dessert cal portions. I'm a distance runner, so I always burn at least 800 cals a day just from my basic workout... so I usually get to eat around 2000 cal/day to meet my 1200 cal goal (a good thing too, because I'd feel like I was starving on any less). I tend to always be a little high on the carbs and low on the protein/fat... but that's probably because runners tend to eat more carbs anyhow, and I'm not really a meat eater. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and having a dessert daily makes me feel like I'm not dieting (even though I am) and makes it a lot easier to maintain... I just wasn't sure how much/little should be allotted for such splurges. I feel better about it now though. Thanks again! :smile:
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipe...sounds wonderful. I try to keep desert under 300 cals