Help me critique my plan to escape skinny fatness!

Options
2»

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not required. You can achieve fat loss through a caloric deficit alone (which is what I recommend for reasons I won't get into here). When fat loss begins to plateau THEN you can/should incorporate cardio if you don't want to reduce cals any further. This is my 8 month progress with ZERO CARDIO. Strength training only. Cardio is great for your heart and in leaner individuals can greatly influence nutrient partitioning, other then that it's really not worth it. Diet is everything. Also, carbs are great..don't fall into the low carb hype.

download_zpse0c8844a.jpg

Hiiiiiiii. :flowerforyou:
  • april34josey
    Options
    good advice
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here, only thing I can add is, if you want to be Skinny Muscular in your words, get Skinny first.

Get as lean as you can, then see how much Muscle you need to put on. Some people will say just bulk early as you know you're Gonna be Skinny fat but you don't know, or know what you will have to work on during the bulk. I'm 5'9 and I was cutting down from a bit of muscle and I still got to 140 pounds lean then decided to bulk, and even that was enforced by my gym closing so I had to move to a Powerlifter type gym, I think I probably could've cut to about 135.

After that bulk until you have enough muscle mass, then cut slower than you're doing now.
  • bugga814
    bugga814 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't understand any of this stuff am I doomed to stay fat:sad:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy more? Start from there. If you enjoy a certain type of exercise, this is the right one for you.
    What is the goal? Look at photos of body builders, runners, swimmers, cyclists etc and see what you would like to look like. Everyone involved into serious exercise will be more muscular than someome who does not exercise, so in this sense there is no right or wrong with any exercise. If you enjoy cardio and find it easier to focus on this, do cardio and add some stength training once or twice a week. If you enjoy weight lifting, make this your main activity and add some runnign or walking in there. If you want to become more athletic, it will take more than e.g. one hour per week, so focus on first finding somethign you can enjoy regularly.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Don't worry about this stuff, this is more to do with how they want their body to look once they lose weight, none of this really matters if you just want to lose weight, just hit the calorie target it sets you, and see where you end up at.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, and I will say the same.

Caloric deficit
    Right macros
    Weigh room more, tread mill a lot less.

I myself do maybe 1 day a week of cardio, about 40 min.

The rest of the time it is weights and diet.

Protein == 0.8 - 1.0 gr / pound of body weight
    Fat == 0.4 gr / pound of body weight (minimum)
    Carbs == Can make up the rest of your calories.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    So when I hear that I should be eating 1g protein for each pound of lean body mass, does that just mean that since I weight 165 lbs, I should be eating 165g protein each day? That seems almost impossible. Any suggestions on how to do this? Even with whey protein supplements this seems almost impossible.

Quite easy to hit 165 gr of protein a day.

I easily down over 230 gr / day>
    I have to make an effort not to go higher myself.....

But chicken, eggs, milk, beef, fish, cottage cheese, greek yogurt etc....
    All good sources of protein
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I'm wondering however if it would be more worth my while to eat at maintenance instead of at a small deficit. What would happen in either case?

Since you have fat to burn, you will want a deficit, while doing weight training.
    You still want to burn off the fat....
    So a combo of deficit while lifting will help accomplish. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Based on the stats you gave, and 5 days a week of exercise.
    Your TDEE is around 2500

So you should target your daily goal to be 2000 - 2100
    Protein == 165 gr == 660 calories
    Fats == 66 gr == 594 calories
    Carbs == 200 gr == 800 calories
    Total == 2054 calories
  • SpecialK1963
    SpecialK1963 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would add weights as others have mentioned. The body weight w/o is good. Break them up into groups of three or four and do rounds of them. Maybe 3 to 5 sets in a 10 to 15 minute cycle.

But get access to some free weights - both barbell and dumbbell. Youtube some different lifts or exercises with weights.

I would go heavy on lean protein including a good, clean protein powder (I avoid powders that add artificial sweeteners).

Good luck.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cptn and ndj...

Small deficet, 1g of protien for every lb of lean body mass is sufficent...and 25-35% for fat depending..I am set at 25%, rest carbs...

compound lifts are the way to go. Starting strength and NROL or strong lifts 5x5 are all great programs.

As long as it's a progressive load compound movement it's all good

SL 5x5 has simplicity on it's side 2 works outs alternating days M/W/F or Tu/Th/Sat

Workout A

Squat 5x5
    bench 5x5
    rows 5x5

Workout b

Squat 5x5
    Overhead press 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5

I often do HIIT on my Tu/Thu and take weekends off completely...

I have in 6months lost 4.5% BF (over the holidays Christmas/Thanksgiving/Birthday and 1 week vacation at an all inclusive) so that is about 1% a month of BF I am losing.

I eat all foods nothing is eliminated...my diary is open if you want to take a look.

Well done on your progress! sorry i'm not of much help to the original poster, I have been working on body-recomp myself since getting down to desired weight by doing the above compound lifts at home twice a week while attending a women's strength training class on another day - this class is to help me get form and technique right. That being said though I think I could like many others benefit from a proper program, going to read more into StrongLIfts and such.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I'll share my experience. Profile is the last pic I shot @ 169lbs. in January, down from 207. I started doing Stronglifts 5x5 a couple of years ago just before I joined MFP but actually gained too much weight (227) since I wasn't already lean and started consuming nearly 3000 cals/ day! I was getting a lot stronger but also a lot flabbier. No cardio was involved, however, I am a runner.

When I realized this error what I did was figure out what my BMR was, set my MFP activity settings to sedentary and then told it that I wanted to lose 1 lb. per week which was a 500 calorie deficit per day. This gave me my base number of cals to work with. I also stayed with the default macro partitioning set by MFP. Then each and every day I calculated and ate ALL of my exercise calories back - a consistent 500 calorie deficit was good enough. It was a slow, steady, healthy pace. During that time I continued doing SL 5x5 but eventually stopped altogether when the expenditure from heavier weights became too great in comparison to what I was consuming. Then I resumed running 3 x's/ week (8-14km)

With the consistent 500 cal deficit and eating exercise cals back, I lost 1 lb./ week like clockwork with a temporary plateau around 190ish and then again around 180. Both times took about 3 weeks before I saw progress again. I just kept plugging along and went to 169 in about 15 months. At 169 my body just told me that was enough and it was starting to show, thus I knew I reached my goal. Anything lower and I would've started started losing muscle and looking unhealthy.

The plan all along however was to lose the weight and most of my BF and then resume SL 5x5 which I'm back on now because weightlifting is what gives you a nicer body composition. Therefore, as much as I love running, I now either go for a 15-20 minute run right after weightlifting or a longer easygoing run once a week for about an hour because recovery and rest days after weightlifting is more important. Plus once the weightlifting becomes a challenge you'll see that you won't want to be doing much cardio afterwards anyway, lol.

I eat nearly 3000 cals again today (after weights) a year later only this time it gets burned off like kindling in a fire! It's easier to sense if I'm gaining unnecessary weight now and can adjust accordingly. So a plan, patience, consistency, rest... let these do their job. For a plan, I read the Stronglifts report as a starting point a couple of years ago and believe it is still there to freely download. I definitely watch form/ technique videos and search for credible advice when in doubt of anything. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmrKmJMQnw
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness.com for other ideas. I don't have access to a gym and am running out of space in my home gym, so i do a lot of bodyweight exercises from that site.
  • hannahbanana0428
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • hannahbanana0428
    Options
    Hey, if you want to start easy, I stopped eating any and all bread, made healthier food choices, and walk, just walk, at least a mile a day. I've, so far lost 2.5 pounds in 4 days.