Hands keep slipping with deadlifts...grrr

Options
2»

Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't do gloves or straps because I can't use that stuff when I compete. I do bring my own chalk and highly recommend it along with mixed grip for heavy deads & putting grip work into the mix. Farmer's walks work well plus they make me feel like a badazz.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Use straps. Ask a trainer how to get started. Basically, you slide your hand through a loop, then wrap the strap around the bar, and hold the end with the bar. The other option is to use hooks, which are attached to a strap. I like the straps. You might also work on some grip-strengthening exercises. Part of the challenge when lifting free weights is the grip. Keep up the good work!

OP, don't wear straps. Just focus on grip strength. I doubt you are lifting a massive amount of weight so you probably don't even need chalk or an over/under grip yet. A towel to keep your hands dry if you sweat a lot might be helpful but just hold the bar with no gloves and a double overhand grip. Squeeze the bar hard like you're trying to crush it in your hands. Your hands will grow stronger very quickly.

Thanks for the advice - I did just read that straps, whilst helping with grip, do not help with grip strength as the wrists take a lot of the flack. Going to play around with grip positions and will definitely start exercises to strengthen my grip, which is something I have always struggled with.

there are some reviews (I take with grains of salt) that I have read that said straps put a lot of strain on the wrists in a wildly unhealthy manner (these have been on sites selling grip pads- so again- grains of salt) so it's made me a little leery.

So while I will use straps for heavy lifts- when I'm shooting for PR's or I'm just obscenely sweaty- or my hands are tired from high volume- I'll go to them- but I am reserved in their use and maybe only use them every couple of months- not regularly.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1: Chalk
    2: Hook grip
    3: If you cant take the pain, mixed grip

ditch straps and gloves
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    In my experience gloves hurt your grip, rather than help it. Liquid chalk is the best solution I've found and, while straps work as well, I'd only resort to them when you're unable to maintain your grip even with chalk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that not all bar's are created equal as well.

Some of them are extremely smooth compared to others that are more like a cheese grater.

Go for the cheese grater. You'll be able to pick up more weight with a standard double over- then more weight the mixed- on those bars I find I don't even need chalk.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Man... everyone hating on gloves, I've only ever lifted with gloves, my grip strength never fails... i think a lack of grip training is going to hurt you alot more then wearing gloves.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Gloves basically make the bar thicker to the user, as you are wrapping material between the bar and your hands. The greater the bar diameter, the more difficult it will be to grip it-- See Fat-Grips as an example of another product that utilizes this same concept. The only thing gloves are really good for is protecting your hands from bar friction. Other than that, they serve no functional purpose.

OP, in this order:

1. Chalk- there's nothing wrong with using it early and it often. Everyone gets sweaty palms, and chalk's main function is to dry them out. It doesn't directly increase grip strength, so it's not "cheating" as some folks might think.
    2.Mixed Grip
    3. Straps- When your mixed grip starts failing, you can use straps.

Hook grip might be good for some folks, but I have a hard time recommending it to most folks. It places the bar directly on a superficial nerve in your palm/thumb, which means it hurts, a lot. There's also the potential of damaging that nerve, which may leave your thumb completely numb indefinitely, though with no loss of function.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My hands sweat like crazy! Once I discovered the mix grip (One hand over the top, one hand underneath) it helped out a lot. also you can buy a spray that makes your hands a little sticky. I also use the preset weights, and there's grips on them so it's a little easier.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Chalk and mixed grip should last OP for a long time. Other accessories are kinda pointless.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Buy your own chalk. It's like three bucks for a block.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I deadlift 225 lbs for 5 reps and can get 2 reps with 235 lbs. I use gloves. My grip hasn't suffered from it. I'm sure once I get heavier, I'll switch to chalk and we'll see.

ETA: I use a mixed grip
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same and I will echo the chalk, wrist wraps and alternate grips advice.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    One thing they recommend for improving your pull-ups until you can do a decent set of 6-8 pull-ups is to practice, using more sets and fewer reps. For example, doing eight sets of just three repetitions each. I suspect that kind of a routine would be perfect for strengthening your grip.
    Maybe try a mixed grip and try that type of routine for a month?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do like to wear my gloves, but don't wear them for a few lifts and Deadlifts are one if them. I use chalk Deadlifting with a double overhand grip for warm ups sets then switch to a mixed grip for working sets. Personally not a fan of straps for myself as they mess up my setup. I do like straps for slow RDLs, though.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Chalk
    Grip strength exercises, the easiest being reset your grip before your last rep and then hold at the top as long as you can.
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mix grip helps me a ton
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I use gloves always. When I get to a weight where my hand starts to slip I'll add in straps but focus on that weight for awhile till I can lift it without straps.

Don't see the whole glove causing loss of grip thing though. I can do the same weight with or without gloves one just lessens the chance of ripping my hands up.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I want to recommend a cheap product you can buy online that i used when i did a lot of pole fitness: Nelson Products Dry Hands. You can order it online and it's totally worth it! Great for pole, pull ups, toes to bar, weightlifting, golf, tennis, etc.