Not losing weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• theineld50
    Options
    I'll try to switch up my workouts. Thanks!

Exercise changes doesn't mean weight loss...switching stuff up will give you a bit more calorie burn but not much.

I suggested switching up workouts as well. Upon looking into it further, I think Stef is right. Periodic cycling of workouts is supposed to speed up lean mass gains a bit, but I don't see anything about it affecting weight loss. Sorry about that.

Stef, do you have any opinions on the leptin reset? The whole biochemical side seems solid, but I don't know if that program actually increases leptin sensitivity. Can't find any actual research.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I guess my point was "changing up" your exercise doesn't do much if anything at all...I have been doing the same exercise for 6months...weight lifting and yes I lift heavier almost every workout but it is the same exercise...if I changed my exercise up everytime I flucuated I would be going nuts..

Actually, switching up your workouts once in a while does do a lot. Why? Because once you get used to a type of exercise, it becomes less challenging and therefore less effective.

When it comes to lifting you (most likely) increase weights, do different kinds of exercises, change the number of sets and/or repeats and so on. That is mixing it up. However, doing the same kind of cardio all the time (like the same workout DVDs, or using a stationary bike), that becomes less effective. Changing a workout routine about once a month is definitely not a bad idea.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I guess my point was "changing up" your exercise doesn't do much if anything at all...I have been doing the same exercise for 6months...weight lifting and yes I lift heavier almost every workout but it is the same exercise...if I changed my exercise up everytime I flucuated I would be going nuts..

Actually, switching up your workouts once in a while does do a lot. Why? Because once you get used to a type of exercise, it becomes less challenging and therefore less effective.

When it comes to lifting you (most likely) increase weights, do different kinds of exercises, change the number of sets and/or repeats and so on. That is mixing it up. However, doing the same kind of cardio all the time (like the same workout DVDs, or using a stationary bike), that becomes less effective. Changing a workout routine about once a month is definitely not a bad idea.

Actually I do the same exercises same # of reps and sets...there are two different workouts and I do squats for every workout...

I only mix it up by adding weight when I succeed at one...but that doesn't always happen.

Your body getting "used to exercise" = you are getting fitter

Increase intensity that is that is required...

Muscle confusion is a marketing scheme.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I'll try to switch up my workouts. Thanks!

Exercise changes doesn't mean weight loss...switching stuff up will give you a bit more calorie burn but not much.

I suggested switching up workouts as well. Upon looking into it further, I think Stef is right. Periodic cycling of workouts is supposed to speed up lean mass gains a bit, but I don't see anything about it affecting weight loss. Sorry about that.

Stef, do you have any opinions on the leptin reset? The whole biochemical side seems solid, but I don't know if that program actually increases leptin sensitivity. Can't find any actual research.

nope...anything I have seen has to do with going paleo or HCG or some other restrictive diet which I don't subscribe too...so to me it's a null.
  • theineld50
    Options

I don't know if I agree with this. Obviously you can make great gains and never have to switch your exercise routine up, but there are whole of of people who swear by muscle confusion for faster gains. That doesn't mean it's true necessarily--they could all be brainwashed--but it makes sense from a theoretical standpoint. Is there a reason you're so sure it's a worthless concept?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I don't know if I agree with this. Obviously you can make great gains and never have to switch your exercise routine up, but there are whole of of people who swear by muscle confusion for faster gains. That doesn't mean it's true necessarily--they could all be brainwashed--but it makes sense from a theoretical standpoint. Is there a reason you're so sure it's a worthless concept?

there are no studies to prove or disprove this...so my reasons are behind the fitness industry constantly using this term in their advertisments...specifically P90X which is a beachbody workout and for me anything to do with beachbody is a gimmick...
  • theineld50
    Options
    Haha, that's fair. That being said, periodization has been around since the 50's and long predates P90x. Keeping it simple can be a good move either way, I just don't think it should be written off entirely.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a marketing scheme, although some companies may use it in their marketing. When you keep doing the same thing for any length of time, the body adapts and becomes more efficient at that particular exercise. More efficient = less calorie burn and less benefit. And yes, it does also mean that you have become more "fit" at performing that particular movement. This adaptation is what causes the body to lay down more muscle tissue as a result of lifting weights, for example. To maximize calorie burn and build more muscle or increase fitness, you need to periodically change and do something new that your body is not yet efficient at doing. I believe there have been studies on this although I cannot cite one right this minute.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

I lost and always have lost a lot of weight just running for 45mins to one hour on the treadmill and eating at a deficit. I did at the beginning of this fitness "journey" and in the past when I didn't log.

I only stopped running on treadmill because now I strength train instead.

The intensity of your cardio will help you lose weight with a calorie deficit.

It has always amazed me when people have several months and years plateau with no weight loss and say they are logging, eating at a calorie deficit, and exercising.

I guess everyone's body and metabolism are different because I never had several months or years plateaus in the past even when I didn't log calories or exercise.

I will say just like the other woman said above that I have went 3 weeks not losing anything but all of a sudden will lose a few lbs. Honestly, this has only been since I have started strength training...if I continued to run I know my weight loss would be steady. But I'm not complaining because my legs are looking oh so great from strength training! lol.. I'm content and patient because I'm at a good weight now..just want to lose more and look better and reveal my muscles. lol

My comment above about not losing weight and being stuck at a plateau for several months or years wasn't aimed at the OP just something that I have always wondered and been amazed by when I hear other people say this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds since December 30th when I started. I've been stuck with the same 1-2 pound variance for almost a month.
    So, that means you have lost 15 pounds in 11 weeks, which averages out to about 1.3 pounds a week.

Did you set up your goals to lose 1 pound a week or 1.5? If so, it seems to me you are in the ball park and doing just fine. If you are not in the ballpark, look into your logging habits for both food and exercise. Often we underestimate calories consumed and overestimate calories burned.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I didnt read through all the posts because im lazy...and i just wanted to give you my two cents - sorry if its already been said!

is your bmr calculation from a doctor? those are the most accurate ones. i was shocked at how low mine is...considering how high the internet calculations told me it was (1430 online and only 1301 from a doctor).

also - get a heart rate monitor for your workouts. its the only way to really tell how many calories you have actually burned. mfp overestimates by a lot (as does the gym machines) and i found that was sabotaging my progress! my hrm lets me put in my weight, height, age, and gender and then it straps around my chest and gives an accurate assessment.

Just some friendly advice - good luck and i hope the scales start moving again!