45 year old Mom of 2 determined to lose 108 lbs

Options
Hi all! I'm new to MyfitnessPal and want to say hi to everyone and look forward to having support on my journey. I have slowly gained 100 lbs over the past 8-9 years and had some successes and setbacks. 6 years ago I was treated for thyroid cancer and since that time have had trouble getting any weight off. I'm healthy now and have begun an eating plan about a month ago involving smaller, more frequent meals. Higher in protein, low in sugar and carbs. I have lost 15 lbs thus far and still have a way to go. I look forward to any tips you all have, thanks!

Replies

• mgibbons22
    mgibbons22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, keep it up! Lots of support here.
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I look forward to it!
  • cheekym7
    cheekym7 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    way to go! I am also new here and have created a group of friends with similar goals. I took a week to talk to them, read the forums, track my food to to see what areas needed improvement. I have heard their struggles and victories and find each one of them are inspiring, motivating and supportive. Please feel free to add me :) together we can reach our goals in no time!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Awesome job so far. So many folks on MFP (no offense intended) think that all you have to do is eat at a deficit and you will HAVE to lose weight.

This is NOT always the case. Those with thyroid issues, gut flora problems or even medication issues may find it difficult or near impossible to lose weight.

I do used MFP to track food but many times it just to get used to sizes and portions and find the macros in those.

My doctor has me on a low carb, moderate protein, high fat (healthy). Just getting rid of the carbs has really helped.

Feel free to add me as we are on similar journeys.
  • 1Mrsmcdilbert
    1Mrsmcdilbert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is certainly not easy with thyroid issues, but you can do it.
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and positive thoughts. I do take thyroid replacement now which is always a roller-coaster but generally my numbers are good. I have recently upped my exercise level as I was watching the kids sports more than doing my own! At 6' tall I do "hide" it better but summertime is coming and there is no hiding in a bathing suit....Ahhhh!!