What would resistance bands do for me?

Options
I currently do strength training 2-3x a week, working my way up to heavier weights eventually. I'm still kinda new to dumbbells so I'm only at 12lb right now. On weekends when i do cardio, i'm not really in the mood to workout with my dumbbells. So i was thinking of getting some resistance bands. Would this be a waste of time/money for me? I'm not sure what the resistance bands would do? Do they help with definition at all?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to intensity and progressive overload. It doesnt matter if the weight comes from bars, bands, dumbbells or your own body. It's very likely the bands wont add anything to your workouts. Especially if you are just hap hazardly doing things.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Static contractions...helps with speed and fast twitch muscle fibers
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I use mine for assisted chin-ups as I can't do big-boy ones yet. I think you can use them for adding resistance to squats and push-ups etc too.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bands are just another training tool, whether you would benefit from them is entirely up to you, whether you enjoy using them and use them often enough to benefit. They can be used for prehab sessions at home as additional resistance when stretching. They can be used to add resistance to bodyweight movements and to bring with you if you travel, so that you can train no matter what. They can be especially helpful for smaller muscle groups, face pulls, rows, curls, tricep push downs, etc.