Bread & salad free lunches

Options
Hi all, I'm looking for some lunch inspiration!

- I'm trying to cut out bread
- I can't eat salad (raw vegetables) as I have ulcerative colitis and they make me ill
- I'm at the library most lunch times at the moment so it means lunch is prepared in the morning/the night before and kept in my bag, so no reheating etc

So far I'm planning on doing brown rice with cooked vegetables, maybe some rice cakes.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• Cloudfish
    Cloudfish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soup, vegetables with chicken and these! http://www.thefooddoctor.com/Wholesome-Instant-Pots-CPOTS/

They are my staple lunches; I always buy microwaveable bags of steam veg to take to work with ease, and packets of chicken pieces. Works a charm!
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you want a sandwich with out having the bread, try either a meat or lettuce wrap. Take all the ingredients that you would like for a sandwich and either use the lunch meat as the wrapper or large lettuce leaves. Some of the wraps/tortilla are lower in carbs than 2 slices of bread, some are even pretty high in fiber.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do not eat wheat at all. For lunches I have 1/2 cup of green lentils, with some lunch meat ripped up, sunflower seeds, olive oil, lemon juice and acv. Just get creative and mix a bunch of things up. There is no right or wrong just make what you want to eat. I say that because my coworkers think its gross but its yummy and lentils are full of protein.
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My style is to have more of a substantial meal - but one of my friends who is a more of a "grazer" always packs lunch for work at her desk which usually includes: nuts, fruit, protein shakes, deli meats, chips/salsa, hard boiled eggs, etc.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always make myself and extra chicken breast and rice when I do that for dinner because it gets me usually 3 lunches out of it (I only eat half a chicken breast because they're normally huge). It works out great because I'm not taking any extra time to make it. You could also try making soups on the weekend and freezing them, just thaw them went you want to use them and you're good to go. Or you could take the route to have small easy to go lunches, like the lunch meat and nuts that were mentioned. Just be careful with lunch meat because a lot of it isn't really that good for you... Lots of sodium...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Soup is good. You could warm it in the morning before you leave and keep it in a thermos.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Buy thermos containers/bottles... that way you can keep your meal warm until lunch. Then you can pretty much eat whatever you'd eat for dinner.
  • ammeg1234
    ammeg1234 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! These all sound great. I had never thought of buying something that could keep my food warm, definitely going to do this! thanks :)