Going grociery shopping tonight: What is your go to staple?

Options

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light&Fit Greek Yogurt (lowest sugar and yummy - lower than Chobani)
    Fage 0% greek (for cooking substitute like sour cream, making dips or dressing)
    Avocado
    Eggs
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Cauliflower (mashed, cauli-fried rice etc)
    Tofu
    BACON (yeah, I'm not vegetarian)
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not vegetarian here however my staples are:

chicken breast, ground turkey, pork loin chops, tilapia, LOTS of eggs, shredded cheese, green peppers, onions, berries, cucumbers, brocoli, green beans, asparagus, apples, peanut butter and PB2, protein powders, mustard(s), light sour cream, phew....

I don't need to buy all week to week however I do try and keep my "diet" of foods that I can easily prepare for my entire family :drinker:
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Low-fat cottage cheese; ripe tomatoes; miso soup (I add a crushed garlic clove & slice of fresh ginger to it when I heat it); kale with cannellini beans (great Martha Stewart recipe); English muffins broiled with shredded cheddar cheese; fat-free vanilla yogurt with a shredded apple added. More that I can't think of right now!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Boneless/skinless chicken breasts and about 5-6 broccoli crowns. And whatever produce is in season and cheap. I bought 5lbs of green beans this morning because they were $1.50 :)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian too.

My staples are quinoa, rices (brown, white and wild), garlic, onions, tomatoes, lemons & limes (love squeezing these on salads instead of salad dressing), celery, carrots, romaine lettuce, dried legumes (black beans, mixed beans, lentils), Greek yogurt, bananas, clementines, frozen fruit (for my smoothies), edamame, veggie broth, Barilla pasta, green grapes, various cheeses and various herbs.

My other fresh vegetables and fruits change each week depending on cost and what recipe I am making. They include broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, asparagus, escarole, kale, broccoli raab, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, peppers, bok choy, squash (acorn, butternut, spaghetti), apples, oranges, kiwi, mango, avocado, strawberries, berries (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry), fennel, arugula, eggplant and so on.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Broccoli, baby plum tomatoes , cucumber, mini wholemeal bread , bananas , nutella, soups, carrot sticks, clementines , pears (leaving pears to ripen for a few days makes them awesomely juicy) , jam, sunflower seeds, almonds, agave nectar , gherkins, ryvita , black olives, natural yoghurt

just recent stuff I've been eating xD
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My list changes based on the recipes I have chosen to cook that week, however I wanted to share a dry bean idea a friend shared with me recently.

She buys dry beans and cooks up the entire bag (in the crockpot). Once the beans are cooked and cooled, she measures them out into one cup servings and puts them into ziplock freezer bags. When she is making something and needs beans, she can just grab one of her pre-made bags. It is very cost effective and saves time too.

I have a 32 bean mix I bought at Costco that I am going to be making up next weekend and freezing so that I can make quick and easy bean soups, chili or add them to salads, etc instead of thinking about how good it would be if I had them to add....

My friend is also proposing that a group of friends each pick a variety of beans to make up and then meeting to visit and do a bean and recipe swap. This would allow you to try some other varieties without having to buy them. Plus you wouldn't have to cook them all up yourself to stock up your freezer with some options and you'll get some new recipes to try the beans in.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Every time I hit the grocery store, I come home with:

Grapes
    Apples
    Bananas
    Bagged spinach/kale mix
    Yogurt
    Milk
    Peanut Butter
    Tortillas
    Bagels
    Chicken Breasts
    Granola Bars
    Cereal

I fill in the rest with whatever recipes I'm making that week
  • andym27966
    andym27966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, and edamame
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Every week: Fresh coriander, rocket, bananas, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, mushrooms, large onion, spring onions, courgettes, chives, fresh dill, skim milk (only for tea), fish. A full week comes to only 80 USD.
  • melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find mushrooms on my grocery list most weeks, as well as spinach (frozen) and potatoes. I'm not vegetarian, but I usually use these as sides or tie them into my main dish. Favorite mushroom recipe is to saute in butter, add some thyme and a splash of balsamic. :) Yum!

I guess the every week items are:
    milk
    eggs
    mushrooms
    spinach
    fruit (whatever's on sale)

I only buy meat when it's on sale... so right now I have 2 lbs of ground beef, 2 lbs of pork chops, and 6 lbs of chicken breasts hiding out in my freezer. Should make it through until April 12th on that
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    coconut oil, heavy cream, sour cream, eggs, cream cheese, avocados, spinach, broccoli, nuts, seeds
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Low calorie hummus and mini carrots.....feels you up!

Not a single carrot (nor hummus) has EVER felt me up! Now I'm sad. :smokin: :smooched:

My staples each week are
    Cheddar Cheese
    Eggs
    Apples
    Grapes
    Walnuts
    Dates
    Flour (for making bread/flour tortillas)
    Yeast (bread making)
    Salsa (for putting on just about everything)
  • VanillaSmile427
    Options
    Bananas
    Chciken Breast
    Zucchini
    Protein Powder
    Almond Milk
    Cottage Cheese
    Yogurt
    Granola
    Spinach
    Kale
    Tangerines
    Whole Wheat English Muffins
    Eggs
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Barilla plus pasta with whole grains.
    Bertolli tomato sauce with red wine.
    Old fashioned oats (oatmeal smoothies!)
    Skim milk.
    Whey protein powder.
    Yoplait light.
    Plain nonfat greek yoghurt.
    Spinach.
    Whatever fruit I want.
    Frozen chocolate covered bananas.

Edited for writing "Skin Milk" .-.
  • Charisma_Black
    Charisma_Black Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a must in my fridge. I always leave in a big box as they're so versatile with cooking for any time of the day. I also love to have plenty of fresh fruit and veg - my usual suspects would be bananas (banana & eggs blended and cooked - pancakes- on the pan super nom!), apples, grapes, blueberries plus mushrooms, tomatoes, red onions, peppers. Oh and yoghurt - greek yoghurt as well as some weightwatchers yoghurts.

It can be hard each week throwing the same old stuff into the basket while food shopping. Sometimes I try to be a lil adventurous :P I would maybe get butterbeans, kidney beans, mixed beans... some salmon, sardines, tuna. I try to steer clear of bread. I used to be an avid bread eater.

I also love leaving in lil pack of ham and chicken which I would grab a few slices for a snack while cooking. Especially if it's just after work/gym and you're starving while cooking your dinner! I cook everything from scratch. Do not like eating processed foods - my own preference! :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Goatmilk yogurt or full fat greek yogurt

Frozen fruit

Canned beans
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are something relatively unique that are a staple in my kitchen. They're made with either yams or tofu, and provide a low calorie option for noodle-based dishes. I use them in soups and poach an egg in the broth. Stir-frys with tons of veggies and teriyaki or soy sauce. Sometimes I just cook them in a pan with veggies and vodka/alfredo/marinara sauce. They're super versatile and only 40 calories for 1 package (8oz). Great when you want something voluminous for not too many calories, or when you want to spend those extra calories on some cheese! I get them in the produce section of my supermarket, but can find them for cheaper in bulk (6 packages) on Amazon. I buy the House brand in fettuchini shape.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cereal, almond/soy milk, crackers, chips/salsa, tons of fresh fruits and veggies (or frozen veggies especially when they're $1/bag), bagels, steel cut oats, dried fruit
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    "Low calorie hummus and mini carrots.....feels you up!"

What if I want the hummus and carrots but I prefer not to be felt up. :noway:
    Sorry...I couldn't resist!! :smile:

LOL!!!! The funny thing is I am a good speller.