Fitbit one or polar loop?

Options
I'm a student so I'm pretty sedentary except for the time when I exercise for around 30min a day. I want to be a little more accurate about my calorie burned so I'm planning on getting activity tracker to eat my calories but I don't know which one to choose... Please give me some advice! Or should I just get a HRM?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't know that any device, from a HRM to an activity tracker, is going to give you an accurate number because they are all based on general formulas and you may be above, or below, the average.

To answer your question though, I have an love my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want a wristband style activity tracker because I want to be able to hide it...waistband, bra, etc. I don't want an ugly plastic bracelet with a suit at work or a spring dress. Having the fitbit definitely inspires me to add more non-exercise activity to my day and I love the damn little thing.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am with Shannon - Love Fit bit. I have the zip. I have used body media however hated it on my arm. Used it through fall & winter as soon as spring came I could not deal with it anymore! The Zip fits on my bra or my waist and no one ever sees it :) My battery died once while I was working and could not get a replacement right away..I was freaking out until i did LMAO I now carry extra batteries in my purse
  • Mommabeeto5
    Mommabeeto5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love my polar loop!!!
  • Sobekins647
    Options
    I've done a lot of research on the activity tracker market before I bought my Fitbit Flex. I'm pretty happy with it. What I'm eagerly awaiting to come out is the Amiigo.

I would say which device depends on you.
    Firstly, do you want something you'll be wearing on your wrist all the time? Polar Loop.
    If you want something easier to conceal then definitely the Fitbit One.

What are the most important stats you want from your activity tracker?
    Fitbit One can tell you stairs climbed while the Polar Loop cannot. On the flip side the Polar Loop is water resistant and the Fitbit One is not. (due to the Fitbit One having an altimeter for reading elevation changes to calculate stairs climbed.)
    If monitoring your sleep is important to you, you might want to look at a Fitbit Flex. As both reviews for the One and the Loop complain about not matching up sleep time to what the user said they had. Plus the Loop lacked accurate break down of sleep analysis. Where the Flex will actually show Sleep, Restless, and Awake time (based on the amount of movement you do).

Also don't forget to check into battery life for each when making the decision. How easy is each unit to charge and how often will you find yourself doing it? Read some reviews see what people that have tried them say the like and dislike.

I think personally if it were me, but my needs maybe different than yours. I'd go with the Polar Loop. The time feature is appealing, it's waterproof (or at least resistant enough to go swimming with), which means I'd just leave the thing on all the time. It gives you reminders when you're idle.

Let us know what you decide to get, and how it works out!
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of research on the activity tracker market before I bought my Fitbit Flex. I'm pretty happy with it. What I'm eagerly awaiting to come out is the Amiigo.

Firstly, do you want something you'll be wearing on your wrist all the time? Polar Loop.

Fitbit One can tell you stairs climbed while the Polar Loop cannot. On the flip side the Polar Loop is water resistant and the Fitbit One is not. (due to the Fitbit One having an altimeter for reading elevation changes to calculate stairs climbed.)
    If monitoring your sleep is important to you, you might want to look at a Fitbit Flex. As both reviews for the One and the Loop complain about not matching up sleep time to what the user said they had. Plus the Loop lacked accurate break down of sleep analysis. Where the Flex will actually show Sleep, Restless, and Awake time (based on the amount of movement you do).

Also don't forget to check into battery life for each when making the decision. How easy is each unit to charge and how often will you find yourself doing it? Read some reviews see what people that have tried them say the like and dislike.

I think personally if it were me, but my needs maybe different than yours. I'd go with the Polar Loop. The time feature is appealing, it's waterproof (or at least resistant enough to go swimming with), which means I'd just leave the thing on all the time. It gives you reminders when you're idle.

Thanks for analyzing it so detaily! Now I think I am going to get a FT7 to track my exercise calories. But I'm not sure. How I should eat my calories....
  • Wingg_
    Options
    However I still do want to get a fitbit but because due to the fact it won't be cheap if I were to buy both so I will stick to getting a hrm first.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I'm eagerly awaiting the Amiigo as well and honestly I'd suggest waiting until its ready for the public market before buying a tracker.

I love my Fitbit Flex. It doesn't do stairs but its waterproof and stays with me no matter what I'm doing. I used to leave my Fitbit One all the time because I'd forget to attach it to my clothes. I have only read one article on the Loop so unfortunately I don't have any information on it.
  • Wingg_
    Options

I'm eagerly awaiting the Amiigo as well and honestly I'd suggest waiting until its ready for the public market before buying a tracker.

I love my Fitbit Flex. It doesn't do stairs but its waterproof and stays with me no matter what I'm doing. I used to leave my Fitbit One all the time because I'd forget to attach it to my clothes. I have only read one article on the Loop so unfortunately I don't have any information on it.

Thanks for the help! I've already bought my polar FT7 !
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Wearable fitness technology was one of the hot items at CES a couple months back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuRiI6nYAuE#t=67
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip, which is only $39 on ebay (I think $49 new). It doesn't count stairs, but it also doesn't give you calories for driving up a mountain in a jiggly car. Integrates beautifully with MFP.

It will give you calories and steps for your daily campus activities, and if you're on a bicycle or something in the gym, you can log that in MFP and it will adjust with your other activities.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I don't know that any device, from a HRM to an activity tracker, is going to give you an accurate number because they are all based on general formulas and you may be above, or below, the average.

I've got to disagree with this. The Fitbit (and most of its competitors, I suspect) uses a 3 axle accelerometer as well as a altimeter to track how you are moving at any point during the day. Because it also knows how much you weigh, it's a fairly easy physics equation to figure out the calories burned to move a body weighing X pounds in various movements throughout the day. So it's really tracking your daily movements and not relying on averages. It's more than a pedometer.

There are limitations, of course, but the Fitbit is a decent activity tracker and TDEE estimator. There's a lenthy thread about this here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/984540-need-help-figuring-out-your-tdee-get-a-fitbit?page=13
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit One for Christmas and loved it! The down side is that I lost it :( Its so small I constantly found myself running into the laundry pile because I forgot to take it off my bra or waistband. I must've not had it clipped on tight enough while shopping and now its gone :(

I bought the loop yesterday but I'm returning it because its too bulky to wear on a daily basis.

Loved the info here, btw. Thanks!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit One. Had it for about a year now and wear it everyday. For me it is almost perfect for calories burned. I also have a Polar HRM that I wear when I run for a bit more accurate calorie burn;)
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. Had two Fitbit Ones before, and they're great, apart from the fact that the first fell off, Fitbit replaced it for free (they have the best customer service out there), then the replacement fell off. They'd probably have replaced that too if I'd asked, but just decided to switch to the Flex. That little rubber open-fronted pouch on the One just isn't secure enough to hold it in all the time.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit one and am pleased at the accuracy of the calories burned - its at least in the ballpark which made me happy, and I'm going to do some more testing later.

Fitbit one also tracks your sleep and has a pretty nice silent alarm - I didn't know that when I got it but it was a pleasant surprise!
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After MUCH research, ended up getting the Fitbit Force. It has been voluntarily recalled due to reported skin irritation, but I haven't had any so I will not be not returning mine because I really like it! So, I am hoping they resolve that issue and bring this back to the market. For me it was between the Force and the Basis B1 Band because I wanted the sleep function and accuracy, but I couldn't reconcile the additional $70 or so for the Basis even though it has an HRM and some other 'fancy' attributes... I love my Fitbit Force and I think it pretty accurately tracks everything except the stairs... Still working on that one... Good luck!!
  • Baconstuffed
    Options
    I bought a jawbone up and took it back in a week to get a Fitbit Force.I have sensitive skin and did have to return mine from the skin irritation.I now have a Fitbit flex and well its not the force it still is nice.Polar Loop seemed very bulky.

Best advice guess could give is try the one you think would work best for you and your lifestyle,if after a few days you don't like it get the other one
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options

To answer your question though, I have an love my Fitbit One. I wouldn't want a wristband style activity tracker because I want to be able to hide it...waistband, bra, etc. I don't want an ugly plastic bracelet with a suit at work or a spring dress. Having the fitbit definitely inspires me to add more non-exercise activity to my day and I love the damn little thing.

I agree :) I like that you can "hide it".
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What about the new Garmin Vivofit? It's waterproof and does all the things the fitbit does
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Now that I've gotten a HRM I will not consider getting a fitbit any time soon. However, I still do appreciate all the reviews given! Thank you for sharing!