What are good foods that will fill you up

Options
I've been eating better veggies and fruit instead of chips and that., but still feeling hungry all the time. What are some ideas for food that is filling but not a lot of calories??

Thanks!!:happy:

Replies

• kimberlymarie85
    kimberlymarie85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    when I add quinoa to my meals I stay full for much longer... love that stuff!
  • 197Kiki
    197Kiki Posts: 129
    Options
    I've never tried that before I heard its good though! thanks :)
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I use a satay sauce for chicken and rice that just has peanut butter, chicken stock and chilli powder - it keeps me full for ages
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are your friends.

Hummus, cottage cheese, peanut/almond butter, nuts in general, etc.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for food ideas but I drink water before eat meal and don't feel hungry. When I want snacks, popcorn and pretzels work for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Look and see if what you are eating is not balanced as far as macros (make sure you are getting protein/carbs/fat in each meal).

Breakfast: eggs & toast & butter, or greek yogurt, string cheese and fruit
    Lunch: pita wrap, grilled chicken, raw veggies
    Dinner: Meat, side dish like rice or potatoes, and a veggie or salad
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Depends, what are your goals? How many calories do you have to spare?

I find that my morning oatmeal and protein shake keeps me more than satisfied until lunch, where I try to get in more protein to hold me over until my afternoon snack, where I consume even more protein that keeps me full until dinner. In other words, protein!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas.
    Mmmm.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. Cottage cheese is also really good... especially with fresh fruit or preserves. Yum! :love:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Nuts ...

and my favorite of all EGGS :-D
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I second that chickpeas are very filling, also when hungry a snack of roasted sunflower seeds and nuts--no salt, or greek yougurt with a little jam does the trick.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

This. Eating carbs makes me want to eat more carbs. Eating protein & fat makes me feel full.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most people say they find protein most satiating. While I would agree that protein is more filling than carbs, I am never satiated without fat. Fat is high calorie, but without it I am not sated.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like lean protein, egg substitute, cheese sticks and vegetables. One thing that can be great is buying the microwavable bags of veg and have that with some protein for lunch. Very satisfying.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A breakfast that sticks with me for a long time is a fried egg. I mix diced canned tomatoes wit a can of rinsed black beans and add salt, pepper and a little taco seasoning. Top the eggs with the tomato and beans. It tastes better than it sounds like it would.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

This. Eating carbs makes me want to eat more carbs. Eating protein & fat makes me feel full.
    CAAAAAARBS!

But yes seriously, protein!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat and vegetables are really filling for me. Whether it's a salad with full fat dressing and 4-6 oz of chicken, or steak with veggies cooked in butter (like the artichoke last night) or eggs, sausage and cheese with a half a grapefruit for breakfast.

When I eat more carbs, I just seem to want to eat more of them -- even when I'm full. So I restrict them for the most part and focus on protein, fat and non-starchy vegetables (for most of my carbs).
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've found beans and avocado or beans and a little fatty meat like bacon make a really filling combo for not many calories.