Anyone Gluten Free?!

Options
MandiK3
MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
Anyone Gluten Free?! Could use help/encouragement as well as yummy recipes. :)

Replies

• shan11180
    shan11180 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed celiac almost 2 years ago. I don't have a lot of recipes, but try to stick with things that are naturally gluten free. (Aside from pasta; I can't NOT eat pasta...) I can add you as a friend - my journal is open for the world to see! :) It may not always be pretty, but I'm a work in progress.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just started Saturday. Dont know too much about it yet
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this means by choice? Just monitor what you eat , you don't have to be gluten free.... it kind of sucks to be honest when you use to have amazing pizza now the stuff you have is just so bland and not the same....

That's just my 2 cents just watch what you eat and you should be fine. Oh it's expensive too, I bought bread crumbs to make meatloaf... $7.00 .... $7.00 Fing dollars for like 4 cups of bread crumbs.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just found corn pasta! In the gluten-free area at Walmart. It's really good. I see they have rice pasta too. More and more grocery chains are offering increasing choices in gluten-free products as the demand for them grows.

You might like this website:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Mostly dessert recipes.... don't get scared, they're also mostly healthy and almost all offer a choice of flours, milks, sweeteners, etc., to make them possible for all dietary needs and preferences. They are also all vegan (unless you use regular milk when it says "Milk of Choice." There is usually a button under each recipe to click for nutrition information. Recipe batches are small, mostly 1-2 servings. 100% delicious for me so far. And Katie's cute as a bug.

I found it doing a Google search for "Flour free oatmeal cookies."

My other approach is not to eat breads. Other than bread, there's not much I eat that's made of wheat. A plus is that when you don't eat bread, you also don't eat the stuff you put on bread.
  • Elliehmltn
    Options

That's just my 2 cents just watch what you eat and you should be fine. Oh it's expensive too, I bought bread crumbs to make meatloaf... $7.00 .... $7.00 Fing dollars for like 4 cups of bread crumbs.

You can put oatmeal (certified gluten-free if you really can't have gluten) in your meat loaf; also cornmeal and flax meal (although flax meal/ground flaxseed has kind of a weird texture, I think.)
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you have an account on Pintrest then you are more than welcome to check out my gluten free boards:

Gluten free meals/snacks: http://www.pinterest.com/camish/gluten-free/

Gluten free desert: http://www.pinterest.com/camish/gluten-free-desserts/

Have not tried them all, but they are all recipes that I think sound really good.

In addition I'd recommend these websites for more recipes/information:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/site-index.html
    http://www.gfreefoodie.com/recipes/detail/781/
    http://www.lazyglutenfree.com/p/best-gluten-free-products.html?m=1
    http://popularpaleo.com/recipes/

It IS possible to get gluten free pasta, and Amy's brand makes some really good GF Mac & Cheese and Pizza. My Walmart has a surprising amount of GF food on the shelf, and in the freezer section.
  • Elliehmltn
    Options
    French Country Chicken

Chicken breasts -- about one per serving, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1-2 cans diced tomatoes, depending on how many you're feeding; the Italian ones are good in this recipe
    Sliced onion, if desired
    Mushrooms, canned (drained) or fresh, if desired
    Olive oil
    Mashed potatoes

Pour a little olive oil into frying pan, enough to spread out and cover the bottom. Add the chicken and cook over medium heat, stirring now and then, until slightly browned and no longer pink. If you're using the onions and mushrooms, you can sauté everything at once.

Add tomatoes, with juice, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes thicken into a sauce (probably about 20 minutes.)

When it's as thick as you like, serve over hot mashed potatoes.

This is yummy comfort food!

(Edited to fix a typo)
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this means by choice? Just monitor what you eat , you don't have to be gluten free.... it kind of sucks to be honest when you use to have amazing pizza now the stuff you have is just so bland and not the same....

By choice yes and no. I've had some weird things going on a face rash, and muscle/joint pain and weakness with shaking. to the point I can barely function. Going threw a battery of tests for different autoimmune diseases. It was suggested that it was possibly gluten as I had shown symptoms prior to have an intolerance. I've been GF for a couple weeks and the biggest improvement I've noticed is I finally sleep it was years I was only getting 3-5 hours of interrupted sleep. Now I sleep like a baby. As well I use to look at food and gain weight. now I can maintain, and lose and actually have a life. although the pain, shaking and weakness is still there as well as the rash.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There's a wonderful, and wonderfully active, GF group on MFP. You should check them out. It's filled with people who can relate to what you're experiencing, health and diet wise. They're always sharing recipes or ideas, or just leaning on each other. Best MFP group I've ever joined.
  • releasingitforgood
    releasingitforgood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the website http://www.skinnytaste.com She's got a healthy website with both modifiable and already completely gluten-free recipes. I get ideas and recipes from there regularly. It's a lot easier being gluten-free now than it was when I was diagnosed back in 1999. Each year more companies are realizing this isn't just some new fad diet, but a necessity for a large number of people. I remember how overwhelmed I was when I first heard about it, but I assure you it gets easier.

Look for a CSA (Celiac Sprue Association) or GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) chapter in your area, someone will be able to point you towards resources depending upon where you live. If you're in the Chicago area, I can help. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and local health food stores will probably carry more varieties of gluten-free choices. Also, Passover is coming, this holiday provides a ton of foods that are ok for us as long as there's no matzo, matzo farfel, matzo meal or cake meal (those are all matzo derivatives and are wheat). Now, they're not necessarily healthy, but it's nice to walk in somewhere and get an amazing tasting cake (Schick's bakery out of NY is the best).

Look up what you already enjoy - it may already be gluten free (saying so on the label) or the company's website might say so. If in doubt, have your questions ready and call the 800 number. I promise, it gets easier. :)
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've got a collection of mostly gluten-free recipes on a website, feel free to check it out. Lots of cookies, cakes and slices, but some savoury stuff in there too.

http://cookathome.info/
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lots of super tips on this thread! Ive been gluten free for a month after having tummy problems/toilet problems for the past 8 months. I also have low iron, joint aches and a premature menopause. After 120 days of "running to the loo" I was drained, so my GP arranged for me to see a gastroenterologist, who is running more tests to rule out anything more serious. I don't feel as bloated following gluten free. Prior to my gastroenterologist appointment I ate gluten again for a few weeks and it made me feel so nauseous! I need to find some breakfast cereals that are gluten free and some snack bars. I have about 30lb to lose and my weight hasn't changed.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for over 10 years, not because I wanted to, but because i HAD to become gluten free. I second the poster above who said that Walmart has a surprising amount of GF selections. Feel free to add me if you like.

Sharon :flowerforyou:

Chex has gluten free cereal, and you can also get Rice Krispies that are gluten free. There are other brands as well, but they are pricier. Personally, I did a happy dance in Walmart when I found the Chex, LOVE CHEX!!
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also new to eating gluten free. It was suggested by my doctor, as relief for all my stomach problems. I found two really wonderful cook books by Bette Hagman called The Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert, and The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. Plus "Bob's Red Mill" makes a ton of gluten free bread mixes, pizza crust, and pie crust. I don't know much about all the different flours like rice flour, and sorghum flour, but in Bette Hagman's cook book for making bread, she gives four different basic mixes to make all sorts of things like waffles, crackers, scones, and muffins. She also explains what each flour's taste, and texture are like, and what they are best used for.
    I've been working on being 100% gluten free, for a few weeks now, and it's not easy. I've never really had a problem with any food in all of my 48 years, so this is a big change! I DO have a family member that has been gluten free for years, and she said it will really make a big difference in how I feel, even if I don't have celiac disease, or am gluten sensitive.

* Bette Hagman's gluten free cook book's are;
    The Gluten-Free Gourmet (1990)
    More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet (1993)
    The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy (1996)
    The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread (1999)
    The Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert (2002)
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free, and mostly gluten free through choice 18months ago and have lost over 40lbs since, I feel so much better for it! Still have it at special occasions, but mostly don't miss any of it. I buy a few gluten free products such as bread, pasta and biscuits, but these last weeks as i don't have them often. I eat a lot of brown rice and sweet potatoes, so many different alternatives.
    Feel free to add me for diary sharing! Great to view other peoples alternatives :)
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lots of super tips on this thread! Ive been gluten free for a month after having tummy problems/toilet problems for the past 8 months. I also have low iron, joint aches and a premature menopause. After 120 days of "running to the loo" I was drained, so my GP arranged for me to see a gastroenterologist, who is running more tests to rule out anything more serious. I don't feel as bloated following gluten free. Prior to my gastroenterologist appointment I ate gluten again for a few weeks and it made me feel so nauseous! I need to find some breakfast cereals that are gluten free and some snack bars. I have about 30lb to lose and my weight hasn't changed.

Enviro-kids has GF cereals, but they're kid flavours, and Natures Path - "Cheerios", corn flakes and Rice Krispies. They're organic, non-gmo too if that's important to you. The corn flakes are really good.