What type of runner are you?

Most people are usually mainly just sprinting or distance runner but I'm in that awkward middle distance shape, just curious anyone else in this? What types of training do you do?

Replies

• crosstraindylan
    crosstraindylan Posts: 124 Member
    In highschool I was short to medium distance (200's, 400's) for track. Now I've switched to long distance-it's more enjoyable lol. For training I do long runs, or speed workouts with 2-3 miles. I also do a run-walk combination for endurance for longer miles.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    deleted my original comment as I don't believe it matched the intent of the thread.

My classification would be less than beginner and somewhere just a bit above awful
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    I'm a slow runner.
    But I'm doing it anyway!
    :wink:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Distance. Not a sprinter at all. For health sake, a distance run with brief bursts of sprints is supposed to help with fat burning I understand. Now, to me a distance at this moment is between 1.5 and 3.25 miles. I have run as many as 7 miles but that was several years ago. I usually average about a mile and a half and two miles when I jog for cardio.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    The best thing to do in order to increase your endurance is speed intervals. Run at your regular pace for 5 mins then do a fast sprint for one minute.

I'm gradually increasing my speed and endurance but I still have days during which I can hardly muster 5 minutes on the treadmill. I guess I'm in that middle phase as well? I just ran at a pace which was comfortable and pushed myself on days I had more energy.
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Started in October 2013... was running 5km within 6 weeks and now I am working my way to 10km.. I don't think I will be able to do any half marathons or marathons but I am happy with just running 5-10 km.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    I was a sprinter in High School and college...and then quit altogether when i graduated...then i got fat...then i started running again and i tried to work more on distances then speed. At my peak i ran a half marathon comfortably, and my favorite run was a trail loop that was bout 7 miles with about 1200 feet elevation gain in it. I am trying to get back to that peak now. So right now i am running 2 - 4 miles a day, but working on speed and when the temps improve i want to start going more for distance. I want to run another half marathon by September of this year.
  • Distance. I interval trained when I first started running, and I still interval train when I need to build distance and endurance.
  • The best thing to do in order to increase your endurance is speed intervals. Run at your regular pace for 5 mins then do a fast sprint for one minute.

I'm gradually increasing my speed and endurance but I still have days during which I can hardly muster 5 minutes on the treadmill. I guess I'm in that middle phase as well? I just ran at a pace which was comfortable and pushed myself on days I had more energy.

Alright, I like the interval training I think I'm going to start incorporating that now.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,239 Member
    I do Tabata (HIIT) circuits, elliptical machine, and I train with my sons soccer team that I also coach. I just started to run and play soccer again as several major injuries made it impossible to partake in those activities. As I am getting back to my goal weight I will pick up on the running to include several runs a week.
    As stated I just started to run this weekend and I accredit the HIIT routines with really getting me into shape as I went 5 miles on the beach.
    So I’m not sure of what your goals are but I would look into Tabata or HIIT as it is also referred to.
    Good luck.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    middle distance in high school (300m hurdle, 400m, 4x400m). Now I'm all about distance (marathons and ultras). I couldn't beat the teenagers anymore if I wanted to :laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    The best thing to do in order to increase your endurance is speed intervals. Run at your regular pace for 5 mins then do a fast sprint for one minute.

This is false. For a new runner, increasing distance at an easy pace (70-80% VO2max) is the best way to make gains. Once you have a decent aerobic base, then tempo and interval work can be added to sharpen skills. Starting speedwork too early won't do much except increase your chance of injury.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Distance runner without a doubt. I'd rather run for 3 or 4 hours than do a fast 5k.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    I'm a slow runner! Training for a 10K on 4/27 and a then half marathon on 11/8. :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Anything, whatever :bigsmile:
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Props to people that can just run and run and run and run ...

I cannot. :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Aspiring distance runner. Just registered for my hypothetical first marathon in september.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Slow.

One of my jackalope coworkers today told me my pace isnt running and I should just stop.

I am planning his death in slow, painful ways

But otherwise, I love distance. It takes me a while to find my happy pace with my groove and I am a good kicker (late push in the race) so anything 10k-half marathon is my favorite. I about DIE in a hard effort 5k, too much too soon upfront!!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I am a sprinter by nature, nothing over 400 meters thru college.
    However, i just enjoy going for a run, especially the trails. I did catch the marathon bug and run a couple of those, not sure if I'll do any more. I have a half coming up in 6 weeks though.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    I am working myself up to running longer distances right now.

I ran 800 meter runs in middle and high school for track and used to be pretty fast despite my height and bulky build. I then off and on ran and would get up to 2-3 miles until about 2 years after I graduated college. I got bored of running 5ks though and hated that they were so costly too for a run that I could do at home for free. To go from running only 2-3 miles, I started doing interval training on a treadmill mixed in with strength training and a cross training day thrown in. I now can run up to 8 miles fine - granted i'm dealing with an IT band issue, but that's a different subject for a different post. I would be up to probably around 13 miles if it wasn't for that. :/

For treadmill intervals I light jog 2 min, fast jog 2-3 min, all out sprint 1 min, fastish jog 2-3 minutes and repeat. You can also do the the light jog as a fast walk too to recover for the next round. It helped me build speed and stamina. I also do endurance strength training (a bar bell class called body pump at my local gym) and lift heavy weight sets on separate days in the week, then I usually try to do either bike, elliptical, or kickboxing. 3-4 days a week I throw in core into my workout routines as well because I am training for a half marathon. Completely several 10ks now and I'm addicted. Getting a running partner to talk to helps a ton as well and I like to do my long mileage runs once a week, but I try to do them outside on trails or somewhere scenic. Helps keep my brain entertained with more than just my music.