Need help working around MFP overestimating calorie burn

Options
Everybody keeps saying that MFP overestimates the calorie burn when you log your workouts and that you can get the most accurate calorie burn by using a heart rate monitor. Here's my problem: I don't have one and buying one isn't an option right now.

Which leaves me with the calorie burn that MFP provides me once I enter the type of my work out and the time spent.

But since I want to be able to eat back the calories burned, I need a semi accurate number.

Does anyone know by HOW MUCH MFP overestimates the calorie burn? Does anyone have any good work arounds for this? Like, should I only log half the time (log 30 minutes after doing an hour of exercises) or maybe should I only eat 2/3rds of the calories MFP shows I burned?

Any ideas? Please help!

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend logging the exercises accurately and just eating back a percentage or calculating your TDEE instead. Make small adjustments every few weeks until you find what works best for you.
  • shortnsweetbb
    Options
    Before I got my heart rate monitor, I adjusted the calorie burn by subtracting 100-150 calories. I've had my heart rate monitor for almost 7 mths, and have found I was right on target - MFP over estimates by about that much!
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    So basically if MFP says that today's workout burned 480 calories, I still should log the entire hour, but just assume it was closer to 350, yeah?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    So basically if MFP says that today's workout burned 480 calories, I still should log the entire hour, but just assume it was closer to 350, yeah?

Just log what it says and eat back 50% of your burned calories so you are still certain you are in a deficit.

My MFP database underlogs mine ... at least that is what happened when I got a HRM. So you just have to play it safe...
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating back 50% or less. Recently, I've been eating back almost all of my calories and my weight loss stopped. I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are over by at least 20%
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    Options
    I agree with eating back 50% or less. Recently, I've been eating back almost all of my calories and my weight loss stopped. I think the MFP calorie burn estimates are over by at least 20%

Maybe I'll try that first and see how it works out. Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Figure out your TDEE and use that # for your calorie goal. When you add your exercise to MFP adjust the calories burned to 1. don't eat your calories back. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I can't find the sexy pants link - I'm sure someone will post it at some point.

Good luck!