Beachbody, herbalife, itworks, etc...

Options
I've been using Instagram with hashtags like #weightlossjourney, #healthyeating, #fitness, etc. to help keep me accountable. I've found it very useful and motivational, and have connected with a lot of really cool people.

A little problem/annoyance I've encountered is all the "coaches" and other salespeople from BeachBody, Herbalife, and ItWorks ("crazy wrap things") hitting me up every other day. It took me a few weeks before I realized some of the people who were seemingly encouraging were just trying to hook me in to buy their stuff. They often "like" a bunch of my photos then say something like, "Great job! What are your goals? What other workouts do you do? How do you stay accountable?"

Suggestions for a generic/polite thing I could say to get them to leave me alone with just one comment? I don't want to hurt their feelings or come off as rude, but I'm really not interested in any of that stuff. When I try to turn them down politely, they usually keep trying and it's several comment exchanges later before they get the hint.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem but I've had people 'follow' me and when I look at their profiles its obvious they're just on there to promote some product and get as many followers of their own as possible so I immediatly block them. In your situation I'd put a line on your profile saying your not interested in people soliciting sales and if you receive one you'll block the sender/commenter. Might seem harsh but they've been warned!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I block Instagram followers who are obviously just there to collect followers or trying to sell something.

If you can determine which ones are there to genuinely encourage and be encouraged by your posts, and which ones are selling something, then block the sellers.

edited to add: Yeah what lindsyrox said. :tongue: Great minds! :drinker:
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How did I not know you could block people on there?! Haha I'll definitely start doing that.

I thought about posting something on my profile, but I didn't want to be so negative right off the bat.

Some of the people are nice enough, but I really don't want to buy their stuff. I'll block the pushy ones that are clearly only on there to sell their products.

• RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem but I've had people 'follow' me and when I look at their profiles its obvious they're just on there to promote some product and get as many followers of their own as possible so I immediatly block them. In your situation I'd put a line on your profile saying your not interested in people soliciting sales and if you receive one you'll block the sender/commenter. Might seem harsh but they've been warned!

This is how it's been for me too, if I didn't look at their profiles I wouldn't know, they don't say anything. I haven't had to block them and as long as they don't try to solicit me I don't care if they follow me. I don't follow them back though.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I thought about posting something on my profile, but I didn't want to be so negative right off the bat.

I don't think putting something on your profile about not wanting to buy any products or fads is negative. Other likeminded people will still find you, and hopefully it'll let the pushers know right away to peddle their crap elsewhere.
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I usually just say "sorry, I'm a full-time college student and can't afford anything extra right now" and they leave me alone.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    NoExcusesFitnessCoach Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What about just setting your profile to private? That keeps people you aren't connected to from seeing your posts and would therefore eliminate the sales-y stuff. I also like the direct response of "no thanks, I don't want any". I have people doing it to me all the time and I just say "not interested". Just get to the point and they'll go away. Hopefully :smile:
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How did I not know you could block people on there?! Haha I'll definitely start doing that.

Some of the people are nice enough, but I really don't want to buy their stuff. I'll block the pushy ones that are clearly only on there to sell their products.

I think you could put a note in your profile quite easily. Something like "I really enjoy being encouraged by others on their healthy journeys to weight loss, but I am not interested in purchasing any "quick fix" products like Herbalife or Shakeology. I understand they work for others but my personal journey is on whole foods so please refrain from advertisements on this page"

I don't personally have a problem with those products, but I'm poor, soooooo they're probably not interested in me ;)