To open diary or not to open???

Options

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but I rarely ever "complete" my diary at the end of the day. Yes, people can still view my diary by going to my profile page and clicking the link there... But to me it's just not a big deal. I've never had anyone be overly critical about what I've eaten or not eaten. I don't solicit advice and people don't tend to offer it, but perhaps that's because I keep my friends list small and I don't seem to get randoms commenting on it either.

Seriously, as long as you're bring honest with your diary, do whatever you're comfortable with. But being honest in your logging is the most important thing in the end.
  • nellysen
    nellysen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mine is 'friends only' I feel like I want to know who can see it I suppose.
    If there are days I slip up and have a piece of cake or packet of chips or something... it's on there. No point not logging it. We all slip up from time to time and it's all part of the journey :)

Personal choice and up to you.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed. I don't need anyone to be accountable for me. I'm here for me. I have great friends here and most are very supportive, but ultimately my weight-loss is my personal journey. I find I'm much more honest if I keep the diary private. I had it open for a while then the comments got to me even for harmless food items like the fat content in an avocado, the amount of water I drank in a day, etc. I closed the diary a year ago. Haven't regretted the decision.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed - frankly because I don't feel it's anyone's business what I eat. I don't ask for food advice or why am I not losing advice - if I did, I suppose I'd open it, but honestly, I don't see myself ever asking. If I don't lose, I know exactly why, I don't need folks poking through my diary to tell me why. I don't keep it closed because of an ED or because I'm not honest. If I can't be honest in my food choices to myself alone, I sure as heck wouldn't be if it were public. I'd be more likely to omit things if it were public - in which case, my ever asking for help would be worthless. I just feel it's private for me only. I don't tend to scope out other people's diaries either, what someone eats is their business. Truly, it is a personal preference.
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm going against the flow here- mine is closed. It used to be open, and I found myself not being completely honest. Being afraid of judgement, criticism, as well as wanting to keep up the appearance of doing well overpowered my ability to be honest with my diary. I am much more comfortable with my diary closed, and it's really been a good thing for me; it was a bit shocking when I started being really accountable to myself.

I'd love to have an open diary, and show the world all my good days, give meal ideas to people and whatnot, but my vanity and pride get in the way. It's detrimental to my progress, so I keep it private.
    This
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Open it, and be honest. No point in lying to those viewing your diary, you're the one who has to live with the good or bad choices.

Be brave! :drinker: Mine's open to the PUBLIC :bigsmile:
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    I keep mine open to try and prove to myself I'm not an alcoholic!
  • jessicaxx_23
    jessicaxx_23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't open. I see no point. If people go to my page they will see I am below my calorie goal every day and high in excercise which is all that matters for weight loss. I do try to eat healthy but I believe everything in moderation which means I eat something bad at least every day so I can keep this up forever. So I will eat healthy for 2 meals a day but if I want soda and pizza for dinner I'm having it and no one can judge me because I will lose my weight very rapidly regardless.
  • mailroomclerk
    Options
    Open it, and be honest. No point in lying to those viewing your diary, you're the one who has to live with the good or bad choices.

Be brave! :drinker: Mine's open to the PUBLIC :bigsmile:

AHAHA, I checked just to be curious. Get some protein man, nothing but carbs today lmao.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open just to keep myself accountable.
    I have received some unsolicited advice from folks about my logged foods but I can disregard their comments or unfriend them.

I look to others for meal plan ideas.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    I keep mine closed for two reasons.

1) Most of my foods are recipes, because I cook a lot. No one would be able to know what was in the food anyway if there's only a title.

2) The most important reason: I use the food notes to track my moods, my hunger, personal notes, etc. Some things (like disappointment, anger, etc.) I don't want people seeing. Those are personal, and I like having it in one place. If I wrote it separately, it would be a pain to keep track of, and it's just not worth it for me.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I never even thought twice about it. Open is the only way for me.
  • claritabay
    claritabay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I am kind of a private person. I don't even let Spotify publish what I have been listening to. Strangely enough, I do feel accountable, even if it's just to myself. I also have to admit that I don't like being told what to do (except by a medical professional), especially when it's my own body that's in question.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    I'm new here but I'm going to keep my diary open to friends. I like seeing what other people are eating, just for ideas of things that I can make.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I have received some unsolicited advice from folks about my logged foods but I can disregard their comments or unfriend them.

I've received some very rude critical remarks about my diary, many, many times in the past.

People on MFP are rude, so leave it open if you have thick skin and a backbone.

If your feelings are hurt easily close it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary, because it's of no importance to me if anyone/everyone sees it.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I've received some very rude critical remarks about my diary, many, many times in the past.

People on MFP are rude, so leave it open if you have thick skin and a backbone.

If your feelings are hurt easily close it.

I have mine open to friends and have never received unsolicited comments. If I did I would likely make it private or block those people pretty swiftly. Overall I find it interesting to read my friends' diaries so I share mine with them in return. I generally assume no one reads it though!
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. I leave mine open because I try to log everything, including days that I drink beer and eat whatever I choose and still stay within my calories. This can be helpful to remind myself and others that it can be done. People may get some good food ideas from your diary and vice versa. It boils down to if you are comfortable with people possible commenting on what you ate.

this !
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because it's an option. I like options. I'm honest with myself and track everything I eat, drink, and even track my vitamins or an occasional Advil. Weird that people think if it's closed you're lying to yourself??

I agree. I feel as if this a personal journey and don't feel the need to let people read through my dairy. I have at one point or another chosen all of the options I don't have an eating disorder nor do I lie to myself. I am just a very private person.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Are folks writing the 2 inning lotto numbers and publisher prize winning novels in their journals? No? No point in closing them.