Paleo?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the Paleo diet now. Protein seems to work better for my body as well. :)

if it works for you more power to you ...I personally do not believe in restricting anything and that has always worked well for me...210 pounds to 175 pounds over past seven years, in addition to lowering my body fat to 12%..

At the end of the day, it boils down to being in a calorie deficit..if Paleo helps you do that, then go for it ...

but like Neander said, the Paleo diet does not really resemble what Paleolithic people actually consumed...

Yeah, OP, you will find that many of us really hate the name "Paleo" or "Primal" based on the fact that it just really isn't a great name.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Interesting interview with Associate Professor of the University of Miami School of Medicine & board certified Neurologist, David Perlmutter in Medscape (legit Health Professionals' Continuing Ed site)

"Dementia: Is Gluten the Culprit?"
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819232_2

Some comments have a bearing on Paleo-type diet and the false idea that 'a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.'

I get regular news & study updates from the site since I have been in the Health Industry for many years. I'll pass on what stuff may be pertinent to Nutrition, Healthful Eating, Exercise, etc.

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

if a calorie is not a calorie, then what is it?

and why would you take diet advice from a neurologist? That would be like asking a pediatrician to perform open heart surgery....

I would say you didn't read the article as it has several comments on how glycation of proteins affect our neurological processes. BTW, some pediatricians do perform open heart surgery... Pediatric heart surgeons ...

so what is a calorie, when it is not a calorie?

My point was I do not look to neurologists for information on dietary advice...

I cant access the article..you need a log in...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a 3 mile cycle ride. But because I'm taking my hybrid bike, it's going to be 4 miles, because a mile isn't a mile in all situations.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right, actually.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm going for a 3 mile cycle ride. But because I'm taking my hybrid bike, it's going to be 4 miles, because a mile isn't a mile in all situations.

since it is a hybrid, would that not make it negative miles?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Interesting interview with Associate Professor of the University of Miami School of Medicine & board certified Neurologist, David Perlmutter in Medscape (legit Health Professionals' Continuing Ed site)

Some comments have a bearing on Paleo-type diet and the false idea that 'a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.'

I get regular news & study updates from the site since I have been in the Health Industry for many years. I'll pass on what stuff may be pertinent to Nutrition, Healthful Eating, Exercise, etc.

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

and why would you take diet advice from a neurologist? That would be like asking a pediatrician to perform open heart surgery....

I would say you didn't read the article as it has several comments on how glycation of proteins affect our neurological processes. BTW, some pediatricians do perform open heart surgery... Pediatric heart surgeons ...

You have to log in to read, so no, not going to do that right now. Mind posting some Cliff notes?

btw - from the title, it was about dementia, so a neurologist might be a good person to ask!

ETA - he has a website (and a book to sell) http://www.drperlmutter.com/
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs on a Paleo diet in about 60 days. Not just Paleo, I was doing CrossFit as well but I did the Whole30 strict paleo diet the first 30 days then have been Paleo about 90% of the time.

It's not as hard as you think and once you get used to it you actually like eating clean. I don't know how much you know about the diet but it's also called the caveman diet and focus is on meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts but no grain, pasta, dairy, alcohol, or sugar. No packaged foods and generally the food you eat should be clean (grass feed beef, organic vegetables, etc.).

Is it a lot of work, yes, is it expensive, yes....however, I used to spend a lot of money on fast food, packaged food, dinning out and drinking so in the end, its a wash.

I'd give it a try for 30 days, I'd be surprised if you didn't loose weight and feel great (maybe after some initial headaches and food withdraws).
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

You have to log in to read, so no, not going to do that right now. Mind posting some Cliff notes?

btw - from the title, it was about dementia, so a neurologist might be a good person to ask!

ETA - he has a website (and a book to sell) http://www.drperlmutter.com/

I saw that too.

I came across this: https://www.alcat.com/news/?news_id=469
    Might shed some light, as it's an interview.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Here you go: Personal trainer went Paleo and wrote about it. Great article.

http://healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-clean-eating-made-me-fat-but-ice-cream-and-subway-got-me-lean/
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Liana
    LOL and here we go ...

He has a theory, and has cherry picked studies to support his theory. When taken as a whole, there are no studies that support the notion that wheat cause inflammation unless you suffer a true allergy or intolerance to gluten.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There's no need to to go "Paleo" unless you are carb sensitive/gluten intolerant. You know what the best diet for burning fat is? A caloric deficit. Coming from an ex fatty who has tried every diet imaginable, I can tell you from the experience of losing 65lbs that the best diet is one that is SUSTAINABLE. I will never understand why someone would want to cut out carbohydrates from their diet when they are the PREFERRED source of energy for your body. They are the body’s main source of fuel, needed for physical activity, brain function and operation of the organs. Knowing WHEN and what kind of carbohydrates to consume are key.

I'm sure I'll get some flak as usual from the Paleo nazi's but I really don't care. As a fitness instructor/health enthusiast I know what I know and that is a diet without carbs will leave your muscles FLAT, brain foggy and body tired.

All of this is from first hand experience, not just something I read on a website. I'm not jumping on a bandwagon or anything, merely stating cold hard facts and I can post studies to back up the information I've provided.

6660246063_f2dabd49b7_zpsf3695e55.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options

http://healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-clean-eating-made-me-fat-but-ice-cream-and-subway-got-me-lean/

interesting read...thanks for posting...
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Thank you for this.
    Great read!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Most people who do "paleo" do not do it solely for weight loss. Weight loss is typically a side effect. (BTW I hate the word paleo, it makes people who have never tried it or even read about it, go on and on about how we don't live in the patholithic period, instead of the real reason to try it, health.) I tell people, I feel best when I eat lots of meat, fats and veggies and when I'm not eating sugar and grains. Diary I can take or leave, it doesn't effect me.

For me, eating this way has:
    PROS
    - cleared up by depression
    - my skin glows
    -no headaches
    -no joint aches (it used to take me 5 minutes to hobble down the stairs in the AM),
    - my TOM is more stable,
    -keratosis cleared up,
    -chronic sinusitis is gone,
    -I have energy
    -my bloodwork is AWESOME
    -borderline HBP gone
    -I'm sure I'm forgetting more
    CONS
    -lots of cooking and cleaning the kitchen

It is easy to slip up and go back to SAD, however the list of Pros is the reason I always come back to my way of eating.

I reconmend everyone try it for 30 days and make the decision on your own.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options

since it is a hybrid, would that not make it negative miles?

Don't turn this into a Common Core debate. It's actually going to be purple miles, because his bike likes syrup.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I saw that too.

Hmmm: this one line kinda sticks out: "Can people get away with having some whole grain products? I suspect so. But you have to understand that wheat products represent 20% of our caloric intake in the United States. That's not the way it is around the rest of the world. The Mediterranean diet, for example, does not pound people over the head with soda." Non sequitor much, Dr Perlmutter?

Also, his web site is kinda lite on the science - he links to lots of articles, but he doesn't actually explain anything. Have to buy the book I guess (not going to happen).

Hang on... in the interview, he says:
    This notion has gained traction and, I think, is profoundly supported by a couple of more recent studies. A study published in August 2013 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)[2] was very supportive, indicating that even subtle elevations of fasting blood sugar translates to dramatically increased risk for dementia. This was a prospective analysis that measured fasting blood sugar and followed 839 men and 1228 women for a mean of 6.8 years. I'll quote the conclusion: "Our results suggest that higher glucose levels may be a risk factor for dementia, even among persons without diabetes."

Why? These are levels of 105 and 110 mg/dL -- levels that most doctors are going to be satisfied with. However, according to the study, these numbers translated into a significantly increased risk for dementia in individuals who were not demented.

And yet, the very first paper that comes up in the search of Neurology he links to says:
    Glucose tolerance status and risk of dementia in the community
    Neurology September 20, 2011 vol. 77 no. 12 1126-1134

Conclusions: Our findings suggest that diabetes is a significant risk factor for all-cause dementia, AD, and probably VaD. Moreover, 2-hour PG levels, but not FPG levels, are closely associated with increased risk of all-cause dementia, AD, and VaD.

i.e. fasting glucose levels are not linked to dementia.

[Of interest to me, as I have high fasting glucose levels (prediabetes) and I don't want dementia!]
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Thank you for this.
    Great read!

Posted to facebook.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I reconmend everyone try it for 30 days and make the decision on your own.
    I'd certainly agree trying restricting food groups if you've got problems that could be related to an issue with certain foods.

Personally, I'd then try and reintroduce foods slowly to work out what was causing the problem, to better understand the issues I had.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I saw that too.

Hmmm: this one line kinda sticks out: "Can people get away with having some whole grain products? I suspect so. But you have to understand that wheat products represent 20% of our caloric intake in the United States. That's not the way it is around the rest of the world. The Mediterranean diet, for example, does not pound people over the head with soda." Non sequitor much, Dr Perlmutter?

Also, his web site is kinda lite on the science - he links to lots of articles, but he doesn't actually explain anything. Have to buy the book I guess (not going to happen).

Hang on... in the interview, he says:
    This notion has gained traction and, I think, is profoundly supported by a couple of more recent studies. A study published in August 2013 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)[2] was very supportive, indicating that even subtle elevations of fasting blood sugar translates to dramatically increased risk for dementia. This was a prospective analysis that measured fasting blood sugar and followed 839 men and 1228 women for a mean of 6.8 years. I'll quote the conclusion: "Our results suggest that higher glucose levels may be a risk factor for dementia, even among persons without diabetes."

Why? These are levels of 105 and 110 mg/dL -- levels that most doctors are going to be satisfied with. However, according to the study, these numbers translated into a significantly increased risk for dementia in individuals who were not demented.

And yet, the very first paper that comes up in the search of Neurology he links to says:
    Glucose tolerance status and risk of dementia in the community
    Neurology September 20, 2011 vol. 77 no. 12 1126-1134

Conclusions: Our findings suggest that diabetes is a significant risk factor for all-cause dementia, AD, and probably VaD. Moreover, 2-hour PG levels, but not FPG levels, are closely associated with increased risk of all-cause dementia, AD, and VaD.

i.e. fasting glucose levels are not linked to dementia.

[Of interest to me, as I have high fasting glucose levels (prediabetes) and I don't want dementia!]

A valuable break down. Thank you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Anybody here get results on the paleo diet?

Did it for about a year. It was ****ing miserable. Never again.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I like it. It greatly reduces inflammation for me.

What are your symptoms if you eat pro-inflammatory foods?

I do eat dairy, however, avoiding the grains, in particular, gluten has greatly improved quality of life for me.

Some of my "inflammations" are too gross to mention publicly, but common for me are skin rashes, itching, acne, sore tummy, loose stools, stomach ulceration. Ironically I've recently learned that when I do have gluten my teeth (which are already decaying, I've got one root canal, need two more) hurt. I'm not sure if the inflammation is irritating my sinus cavities, tooth decay, or both, but either way I try to avoid gluten like the plague.

I don't mind a sweet or gluten-free cheat every so often for 80/20, but I try real hard to not make it gluten, and really regret it when I do.

*Edit: I'm actually allergic to gluten, which is why Paleo works so well for me, I was gluten free for medical reasons anyways, but sometimes I do have a bit of corn chip or rice noodle which isn't Paleo or Primal but oh well.

So glad you have discovered a way of eating that makes you feel better. WTG!