How do you stay on track/motivated?? (Having a hard time)

Options
So, I was doing really good for about 10 days... Counting my calories, exercising... I lost 7lbs in 10 days! Then, life got busy, my bike broke, and I haven't done anything for almost a week and have gained back 5lbs. Now I'm feeling discouraged and unmotivated... But I'm so sick of feeling terrible about myself. What can I do to stay on track/motivated and not get so down on myself?

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    how many calories a day were you eating in those 10 days?
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    eat naked in front of the mirror
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Think back on how you felt at the lowest point in your life.......then say to yourself, "I never want to go back there again"
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I give myself small non-food rewards. Part of this was to retrain myself to not reward myself with special food treats. So I will let myself buy or do something periodically like a massage or buy a new shirt to keep myself motivated. I do not want to replace my wardrobe until I am at my goal, but being able to go buy a shirt or pants and buy it in a smaller size is a great motivator for me.
  • jade18550
    Options
    Think about how awesome you felt when you lost those lbs and I am sure you will do what motivated you to do that in the 1st place. You are beautiful and every day is the opportunity for a fresh start. You can do it! Someone once told me that and that really helped me not gain weight when I was pregnant. Now I am not pregnant but I need to lose the extra weight I already had before getting pregnant and I wish that person was in my daily life to tell me YOU CAN DO IT, when someone believes in yourself, you believe in yourself too! Best of luck! We got this!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Realize that you're not always going to feel motivated...that there will always be obstacles to your goal. Determination to keep going no matter what is the only thing that will get you through.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Most of what you lost in the first week was water so the 5lbs you've 'gained' is only really water not fat. You're still hopefully 2lbs of fat down so smile and jump up and down (for 10-15 minutes lol) with joy and look forward to losing more fat this week :)
  • lablamires
    lablamires Posts: 83 Member
    Options

1600-1800.

My calorie limit is set for Sedentary, so it's like, 1340... But I'm a breastfeeding mom and I figured that 1340 was way too low, and breastfeeding can burn up to 500 calories, so I eat between 1600-1800, though I try to stick to the lower part of that range.

I also try to burn about 300 calories a day with exercise.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The drastic drop in the first two weeks can be attributed mostly to water weight. It gains back quickly if habits change. Don't be discouraged, keep working at it. Consistency is key.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When you stop counting and stop exercising you stop caring what you eat and how much of it. Stay focused and commit to it being a lifestyle change, not a diet. Give it time too because we are talking months here not weeks. Then when you reach your goal you must maintain and that means years. Every day I see people eating like I use to and think "I can't believe I use to do that" Hang in there you can do it.
  • lablamires
    Options
    Think about how awesome you felt when you lost those lbs and I am sure you will do what motivated you to do that in the 1st place. You are beautiful and every day is the opportunity for a fresh start. You can do it! Someone once told me that and that really helped me not gain weight when I was pregnant. Now I am not pregnant but I need to lose the extra weight I already had before getting pregnant and I wish that person was in my daily life to tell me YOU CAN DO IT, when someone believes in yourself, you believe in yourself too! Best of luck! We got this!!

• lablamires
    Options
    Don't panic. Most of what you lost in the first week was water so the 5lbs you've 'gained' is only really water not fat. You're still hopefully 2lbs of fat down so smile and jump up and down (for 10-15 minutes lol) with joy and look forward to losing more fat this week :)

• lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    One of my awesome MFP friends helped me reframe my thinking. Everything you do is a reflection of your priorities. Start thinking that way. Whenever you don't feel like going to the gym you are implicitly saying - Sitting around is a higher priority than my health today. When you decide to eat within your calorie goals you are really saying - Today, my weight loss goals/health is a higher priority than eating X-foods.

Thinking this way really helped motivate me to exercise regularly and log accurately. It became really hard to think - watching this TV show is a higher priority than going to the gym. BUT sometimes it helped me not feel guilty when I needed a break. After going through a completely hellish week I decided that skipping the gym one day and taking a "mental health" night was a higher priority than going to the gym.

Hope this helps!!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

1600-1800.

My calorie limit is set for Sedentary, so it's like, 1340... But I'm a breastfeeding mom and I figured that 1340 was way too low, and breastfeeding can burn up to 500 calories, so I eat between 1600-1800, though I try to stick to the lower part of that range.

I also try to burn about 300 calories a day with exercise.

ok- good. I was scared you were going to throw out a whacky low number like 900-1000 cals a day. Which would explain why it was hard to stick with that.

If you are comfortable eating 1600-1800 then try to stick with it and eat foods you enjoy so you dont feel the need to binge after a few days of being too strict.

As far as staying motivated...it can be hard. But just keep reminding yourself that if you start now, in 6 months you will be so happy that you did.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Be consistent! Eat filling foods, with fiber and protein. Drink lots of water! Compliment yourself every day, name one thing you find is awesome on your body (eyes, hair, nails, arms, legs, butt, etc) and be proud of it. Set small goals, maybe 5 pound increments? Then treat yourself to a massage, spa, nail salon, hair salon, shopping, etc. Just love every minute! This is your new life, embrace it!
  • lablamires
    Options
    When you stop counting and stop exercising you stop caring what you eat and how much of it. Stay focused and commit to it being a lifestyle change, not a diet. Give it time too because we are talking months here not weeks. Then when you reach your goal you must maintain and that means years. Every day I see people eating like I use to and think "I can't believe I use to do that" Hang in there you can do it.

• jade18550
    Options
    you're welcome! :-)
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So, I was doing really good for about 10 days... Counting my calories, exercising... I lost 7lbs in 10 days! Then, life got busy, my bike broke, and I haven't done anything for almost a week and have gained back 5lbs. Now I'm feeling discouraged and unmotivated... But I'm so sick of feeling terrible about myself. What can I do to stay on track/motivated and not get so down on myself?

Wow. I'd say don't worry in the slightest! You still lost 2lbs overall, which is a healthy loss over that time. Just think positively! They say that losing weight too quickly isn't healthy anyway.

You're only 10 days in, don't give up.

Think of losing weight and being healthy as a lifestyle change and not a race. I've had to learn to be patient. If you eat correctly and do exercise the weight will come off. It just won't come off in a month or maybe a year, but it will be coming off.

Weight also fluctuates with water and all sorts. If the scales make you worry, maybe go for measurement goals rather than lbs?

What motivates me is that if I do nothing, nothing will happen. So if you want something to change it requires you doing something about it.

I hope this helps :)

Feel free to add me if you want any motivation or support.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One of my awesome MFP friends helped me reframe my thinking. Everything you do is a reflection of your priorities. Start thinking that way. Whenever you don't feel like going to the gym you are implicitly saying - Sitting around is a higher priority than my health today. When you decide to eat within your calorie goals you are really saying - Today, my weight loss goals/health is a higher priority than eating X-foods.

Thinking this way really helped motivate me to exercise regularly and log accurately. It became really hard to think - watching this TV show is a higher priority than going to the gym. BUT sometimes it helped me not feel guilty when I needed a break. After going through a completely hellish week I decided that skipping the gym one day and taking a "mental health" night was a higher priority than going to the gym.

Hope this helps!!

LOVE this, going to use it. "Everything you do is a reflection of your prioritites" SO TRUE!!!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    just start fresh.. brush yourself off, hold your head high... i get off track regularly. nothing to be down about it happens to everyone.
    good luck on your journey