recommended weight loss products?

Options
Hello!
I am NOT asking about supplements or weight loss pills.
I'm asking what kinds of equiptment products would you recommend to start the weight loss journey.
I'm realizing a food scale is pretty much nessecery, but what about other things?

Preportioned storage containers? Heart monitor? Protine powder (okay that's a supplement but still)!
What's really needed? Or recommended to help lose weight?

Replies

• floralgal
    Options
    Hello!
    Basically the best way is to exercise and eat well! I use measuring cups to see how much grams the food is. I also try to limit to 1200 calories per day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Count your calories, add some exercise (walking for 20-30 minutes will be a good start) and that's about it/
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ideally:
    A gym membership
    A food scale
    Measuring spoons and cups
    Good athletic wear and shoes to support your fitness
    Sources of lean protein (this can be powder, it's very inexpensive/serving, in comparison to sources like meat)

Sneaky things I've learned help me:
    Muscle Egg Egg Whites (flavored pasteurized egg whites you can drink cold or cook with)
    Coffee grinder (for oatmeal to make into oat flour)
    Shaker cups
    Weightlifting gloves/Versa Gripps
    Liquid Stevia drops (Changes my carbonated water into psudo soda, win!)
    Hershey's Unsweetened cocoa (add stevia for low calorie chocolate needs)
    hot sauce
    Mrs. Dash no-sodium seasonings
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Your mileage may vary but for me...

* Food scale
    * Activity Tracker (Fitbit, Jawbone, etc) to capture daily TDEE
    * MPF
    * Daily planner to log exercises, etc
    * GOOD scale
    * Camera for progress pics
    * Cloth tape measure for measurement taking
    * Good [running] shoes
    * A gym membership
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Food scale and measuring spoons and cups are the most important.

Using the scale for everything that isn't liquid is even more important. Two tablespoons of peanut butter isn't nearly as accurate a measure as 28g. I tried it, measured two tablespoons, weighed it ... was off by 7 grams.

It's not "necessary" for weight loss, but working out can help and has the added benefit of helping your overall fitness level in the process. For that, I'd recommend a gym membership or a dvd or youtube "workout program" and good, comfortable, shoes appropriate to whatever workout you plan. If you're going to start by "just walking" ... buy good comfy walking shoes.

My favorite kitchen toys:
    Blender
    Food processor
    Crock pot

When you're measuring everything, you can end up cooking a lot more yourself, having kitchen tools to quickly slice, mix, etc and a crock pot to throw it all in to cook many portions at once really helps.
  • MotorcyclePeanut
    MotorcyclePeanut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this and it may seem silly but: A good case/item to carry your iPod/MP3 player in and reasonable headphones that won't pop out of your ears. I like listening to good music while working out. And selecting music you like with suitable pacing can go a long way in helping you work a little harder and keep this enjoyable.

Best of luck to you!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Great shoes...something that fits well and works for the kinds of fitness activities you're going to do
    Great music playlist ...something that motivates you
    Good headhones...don't skimp on these..the sound quality and fit matter...I've gone through so many cheapo earbuds that fall off. I would invest in a quality pair assuming you like to listen to music while you exercise
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The only product you need is a willingness to take this journey seriously then everything else will fall into place.

What are you initial goal or goals?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this and it may seem silly but: A good case/item to carry your iPod/MP3 player in and reasonable headphones that won't pop out of your ears. I like listening to good music while working out. And selecting music you like with suitable pacing can go a long way in helping you work a little harder and keep this enjoyable.

Best of luck to you!

This isn't silly at all. I have 2 MP3 players. I keep one in my gym bag for when I workout at home and one for the bag I take to the gym. I am going to buy a third to keep in my desk at work as well.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have done insanity, chalean extreme, and now I'm doing the 21 day fix.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The only product you need is a willingness to take this journey seriously then everything else will fall into place.

What are you initial goal or goals?

My inital goal is really just to lose 80-100lbs. Building muscle is also a goal, but partly because I don't seem to lose weight any other way.
    I currently am frustrated because I had a nasty diasis reci after giving birth in 2012, I thought I had fixed it, but all of a sudden my waist got 2" bigger after a week of heavy ab exercises. Turns out when I checked it wasn't as fixed as I thought. I'm hoping if I focus my weight loss through diet I can drop enough to actually see whats going on under all that "insulation."
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need is a good Kitchen Scales and some will power. The rest is optional
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your mileage may vary but for me...

* Food scale
    * Activity Tracker (Fitbit, Jawbone, etc) to capture daily TDEE
    * MPF
    * Daily planner to log exercises, etc
    * GOOD scale
    * Camera for progress pics
    * Cloth tape measure for measurement taking
    * Good [running] shoes
    * A gym membership

this plus copy of starting strength and/or new rules of lifting for woman
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    You mentioned smaller / portion sized containers, and that's something I've found helpful. It's maybe not the most precise thing to rely on, but for me, they are a good reminder of what "a portion" looks like. Also, it helps me keep seperate ingredients for a wrap or sandwich apart so I don't end up with a soggy mess.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Portion size containers or Ziploc baggies are great!! We do get "Jif to Go" too.....my youngest daughter will grab one of my pretzel baggies and a "Jif to go" for a snack. When we make spaghetti or chili, we'll portion it out so it's easier to reheat for personal portions.

Weights might be good - and stretch bands for toning.

Fitbit!!!
    Good scale