Yoplait Diet

chickadee2010
chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I was reading a magazine earlier and came across an ad from Yoplait...you know, the yogurt. :laugh:

It says you can lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks and you're supposed to replace breakfast and lunch with Yoplait Light, a grain, and a fruit. For dinner, you're supposed to eat a sensible dinner rich in protein and nonfat dairy. The diet also includes beverages and snacks and walking daily.

Has anyone else tried this? I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't you be super hungry? Or say after you lost the 5 pounds in two weeks and the third week you went back to fairly normal eating and gained it back.....

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    It is like the slim fast plan. I say that is more for skinny people who want to see the scale go down a few pounds. Not for a real lifestyle change.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    I would imagine it's like the Slimfast and Special K diet. The regular yogurts only contain around 160 cals and the light ones only have 100. So you're not eating very many calories at all...I think that would leave you 1. Starving, and 2. Bored! Sure you'd drop 5 lbs pretty easily. Then you have to correct your eating when you're done in order to not gain that 5lbs back! The Special K diet and Yoplait diet are DIETS, not lifestyle changes. You are focusing on food, not changing the way you live. They advertise losing a pant size or two, but unless you follow that for the rest of your life, it's not a very good way to lose weight and live healthy! IMHO!
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    I would suggest not eating Yoplait because it contains high fructose corn syrup and aspartame if you are into eating clean. I LOVE Chobani 0% fat Greek yogurt and it has 15 grams of protein in it. It really sticks with you and has fewer calories and sugar than Yoplait wihout all of the chemicals. And it is super yummy!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    ...I LOVE Chobani 0% fat Greek yogurt and it has 15 grams of protein in it. It really sticks with you and has fewer calories and sugar than Yoplait wihout all of the chemicals. And it is super yummy!

I second the Chobani! I have one every morning for breakfast with bran cereal on it for fiber. Totals out to about 200 calories, and I'm full until lunchtime. Peach and raspberry are my two favorite flavors, blueberry and pomegranate are next in line. I like the vanilla with fruit when I'm craving a dessert.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Too much dairy, not enough protein for me. I'd rather eat "regular" food but less of it while losing weight, and then increase what I can eat slightly once I hit maintenance. To me it just sounds like a marketing ploy to get you to buy more of their product.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    If we're voting, I vote "no". Not worth it.. It's a gimmick diet, not a lifestyle. Healthy eatting, getting exercise and slow and steady weight loss is the way to go.
  • chickadee2010
    It is like the slim fast plan. I say that is more for skinny people who want to see the scale go down a few pounds. Not for a real lifestyle change.
    At the beginning of the yr, I was 130 or a few pounds lower. Now i'm at 150. Would that be a 'few pounds'? Probably not, huh?
  • chickadee2010
    Too much dairy, not enough protein for me. I'd rather eat "regular" food but less of it while losing weight, and then increase what I can eat slightly once I hit maintenance. To me it just sounds like a marketing ploy to get you to buy more of their product.
    Hmm...it definately could be a ploy, couldn't it?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Yoplait Yogurts have High Frutose corn Syrup. Not sure how that is a good chooice? Eat a balanced healthy meals and you will loose weight. FAD DIETS DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • If you eat about 1200 (healthy, not junk food) cals a day and drink 94oz of water at least, you can lose those 5 lbs and have some variety! Since losing weight is all math, you dont really need yoplait to lose weight, unless you love it and use it because its a good choice for you like the folks here are using greek yogurt. Its that they like it and its healthy that is making them successful. But in the end, math is math!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Interesting plan, but wouldn't be for me. Not enough protein.
  • chickadee2010
    I think this is one diet 'trick' I can forget. I decided I'm not going to try it. Honestly, I'm not even that fond of yogurt. It's okay occassionally, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't last that long.

Thanks everyone!
  • Actually about 5 years ago I lost a lot of weight when at lunch I would eat a yogurt and celery with peanut butter. I know it has to do with the calorie intake being so low, but I definitely lost weight. I will tell you though, I still can't eat yogurt anymore- I got absolutely SICK of it. Also, as they said earlier, very high in sugar. Why don't you instead substitute a yogurt for a usual "dessert" item instead?
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    I hate these kinds of diets, what happened to basic heaps of fruit and veg and lean proteins????
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I think that diets like these simply don't teach about proper nutrition, and thus, those who follow them are ultimately going to fail. I believe that these diets DO work, but that's because you are obviously not eating very many calories and thus burning more than you eat. However, when you get to your goal doing this, it becomes obvious that you need to come off the diet to maintain...but since you don't know anything about proper nutrition, you gain weight instead of maintaining it...and move on to yet another diet afterwards. :sad:

I wish people wouldn't follow ANY diet other than one that prescribes a healthy balance of foods and incorporates some exercise...but I guess most of us have to try some of these and fail before we learn, right? I know I did. I followed some weird ones before I just simply resolved myself to eating right and working out. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.