I Get Sick If I Eat Before Working Out

Options
I workout 5-6 days per week, this includes some really intense kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, and Crossfit classes, and whenever I eat anything before these classes, I will get VERY sick to my stomach. If I eat anything withing 4-5 hours before a class, I get sick. I've tried little, easily digestible things like applesauce, dates, or rice, but even a little bit makes me sick. It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to eat anything before I workout. The classes start at either 4 or 5 P.M. and I won't eat anything for lunch or I get sick. The problem with that is by the time I'm done, i feel super weak and my hands shake really hard.
Does anyone else have this problem? What works for you?

Replies

• fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone out there know how to help?
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - I have no idea since I eat 2 hours prior to and have no issue. I could not however eat right before but..I am thinking maybe it is not necessarily the food but the intensity of the exercise. A friend of mine used to get sick the first few months of kick boxing. Once she got used to the intensity - it went away.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio in the morning before eating anything. I am the same way, I feel very nauseous if I eat before intense cardio. I am getting nauseous right now, just thinking about it :P. To get some quick energy, I use a Hammer Gel pack. I take one a few minutes before I start and it really helps me. I processes it very quickly and it fuels my muscle within a few minutes.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I can't workout on a full stomach so i usually don't eat anything a couple hours before working out. How about something right after working out? I usually bring an orange or half a grapefruit with me and have that on my ride home- it helps hold me over until dinner.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it would help you personally, but back in the olden days we drank diluted gatorade (50% of label strength) when doing long bike races -- anything more concentrated tended to cause stomach cramps. Was enough to keep the dreaded "bonk" at bay.

Nowadays, a lot of the ultramarathon types use gels of various sorts -- easier to carry than a sloshin' hydration pack. No personal experience with them.
  • fruitysky
    fruitysky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it's the intensity as I've been doing these classes for close to two years now. I will try energy gel and the diluted gatorade and see how those work. Thanks for the input!