Low Carb and gout anyone else have this problem

Options
Whenever I go very low carb-my gout flares up. two years ago I lost about 55 pounds on Paleo and had a few attacks- I ate high carb again and gained the weight back, this year I am eating a ketogenic diet reducing proteins and eating more fat, again I've lost about 23 pounds in 49 days but my gout is back. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem, but my friend does. He lives on the bayou and catches and eats a LOT of fish. He probably has fish every other day, and eats steaks and veggies other than that. He suffers terribly from gout, but doesn't want to go off his high protein diet. I've heard that cherries and cherry juice can help, but they don't offer him much relief.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Gout is caused my high uric acid levels. If you are low carbing with high fat this could be your culprit. Try 5:2. You can eat normally and still lose. I am down 43 pounds and the people on the 5:2 forums are very supportive.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you gain weight - calories in excess of what you burn through on a daily basis makes you gain weight. I'm no gout expert, but if eating a certain way made my body act all weird, I'd listen. You can lose weight without all the restrictions.

Sorry, when I hear "gout" it reminds me of Terry Crews in Everybody Hates Chris
    hqdefault.jpg
  • bnybanker
    bnybanker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks- tart cherry is in my home remedy arsenal, along with organic apple cider vinegar-unfortunately not 100% effective- I purposely don't eat a lot of protein especially tuna which is a trigger thanks for your input.
  • bnybanker
    Options
    I can understand why low carbing may cause low calorie intake and the body thinks it is starving and causes internal protein breakdown. How is high fat causing problems.
  • bnybanker
    Options
    eating low carb is actually causing the calorie deficit. It shouldn't, by itself, cause gout. I'm thinking that low carb is causing excessive low calorie,intake and then causing the fat breakdown that is causing high purine levels in the blood, which is then causing crystals to forming the foot joints and then inflammation. and pain. I'm thinking that if I just eat more I might solve my problem. The human body does not need sugar or carbs to thrive. Right?
  • bnybanker
    Options
    thank you guys for the input=please keep it coming!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    There are a lot more gout causing foods than people realize. I cured my husband several years ago by doing a lot of research on trigger foods. There are the obvious ones, red meats and shell fish, but there are quite a few others that may be part of your daily food intake. Here are just a few, dark greens (such as spinach), asparagus, broccoli, almost all legumes but lentils are one of the worst, any sort of meat based stock made from bones, something called Xanthum gum which is in every bottled salad dressing out there, just to name a few. We went vegetarian and ended up eating a lot of white rice and bread as whole grains are another trigger. Once you get rid of the acid though you can begin to add foods back in slowly and in small portions. It took about 3 months of a drastically altered diet before he was really cured. Send me an email if you want and I'll try to find one of the sources for most of what I learned. BTW, my husband hasn't really had an attack in years, other than a little twinge here or there and we catch it right away.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I suffer from gout, and according to research and the doctors I have seen it's definitely all of the meat your eating. My doctor has me on a low purine diet (high purine causes the gout flare ups.) I am only allowed 6 ounces of meat per day. The rest of my protein comes from dairy and eggs.

ETA: That six ounces is chicken, turkey, and pork. No red meats due to high purine content.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I experience gout symptoms (primarily flare-up is my left foot) if my protein intake is too high. It's my signal to cut back on both red meats and protein in general.

If I have a flare-up I'll usually cut red meat and lower protein to UNDER 20% (but not less than 15%) of my calories a couple days, and up my fat intake. Ensure you're avoiding trans-fats and refined oils in your dietary fat, as they are inflammatory as well. Once the flare-up subsides I'll slowly add it back in.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You said you don't eat a lot of protein but you are also eating a low carb diet? Not sure how that is feasible without being in a major calorie deficit. Regarding low carb diets and gout flare ups, it's not that the lack of carbs is precipitating the attack, it's due to whatever you are eating instead. Fish, organ meat, and some vegetables are all high in purines which are the precursors to uric acid.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    You said you don't eat a lot of protein but you are also eating a low carb diet? Not sure how that is feasible without being in a major calorie deficit.
    Most people adopting low-carb for weight-loss adopt a low-carb, moderate-protein, high-fat approach. Eating too much protein will reduce the glycemic benefits of low-carb.
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    Intresting: my gout attacks became far, far less frequent and severe after I started losing weight. I started dropping weight (from 200+ to about 165 on a 5'10' frame) after adopting a low-ish carb diet (lots of meat and eggs, plenty of fat).

When gout hits me these days - generally just small morning twinges - it generally seems to be 1) when my weight is climbing a bit or 2) when I indulge in too much beer (> 2 pints) or pizza or floury/sugary deserts.

I've not found *any* association with the amount of protein I'm eating, no matter what my doctor - and pretty much the whole world - says.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat. You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse. The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat.
    Opinion, not fact. With NO science to back it up.

LCHF is very healthy. There is no scientific evidence to the contrary, period. It's perfectly sustainable - I've been on it 39 months, I know hundreds of people who've been on it anywhere from a few months to 16 years.
    You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse.
    Again, not remotely true. His gout is impacted by an excess of protein, NOT reduction in carbohydrate.
    The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.
    There is no doubt that as far as nutrient-density goes, things like organ meats are vastly superior to any fruits and vegetables.

I understand you're a "plant-based" dieter - and that's your right to choose, but please, you're simply repeating vegan propaganda that has no basis in science or reality.

If you want to quote things as-if they're fact - back it up with independent scientific evidence.

A proper low-carb diet has a great deal of vegetables, thank you very much. It's low-fruit, sure - because fruit is mostly sugar. FYI you can completely eliminate fruit from the diet if you want. There is no nutrient/vitamin in fruit that can't be found in veggies with much fewer calories and much-less accompanying sugar.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    LCHF is very healthy. There is no scientific evidence to the contrary, period. It's perfectly sustainable - I've been on it 39 months, I know hundreds of people who've been on it anywhere from a few months to 16 years.

Again, not remotely true. His gout is impacted by an excess of protein, NOT reduction in carbohydrate.
    The first statement is pure meat industry propaganda and has no basis in science or reality.

Gout, along with many inflammatory diseases, is caused by proteins slipping past the abdominal wall, or "gut leakage". Fruit and veggie based diets allow for gut leakage to heal. Way too many people on meat based diets have gut leakage, and the autoimmune conditions that come with it.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    The first statement is pure meat industry propaganda and has no basis in science or reality.
    Really? Prove it. With science. Real science, not psuedo-wanna-be science from your vegan sites. Independent sources. Because there's dozens of independent research studies, meta-analyses and articles showing the LCHF diet is not-only safe, but a preferred diet for many medical conditions.

And there's absolutely no credible sources otherwise. Where are yours? Please, lets see YOUR science.
    Gout, along with many inflammatory diseases, is caused by proteins slipping past the abdominal wall, or "gut leakage". Fruit and veggie based diets allow for gut leakage to heal. Way too many people on meat based diets have gut leakage, and the autoimmune conditions that come with it.
    please look up "leaky gut syndrome" and "pseudoscience". Everything you say has NO basis in biochemistry, physiology or any branch of science.

No offense, but perhaps you should study the sciences instead of spouting nonsense.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions?
    Yea, don't go low carb. It's not a healthy and sustainable way to eat. You can lose weight fast, but inflammatory diseases, like gout, and many others, are made worse. The healthiest foods on the planet are fruits and vegetables, and they are mostly high carb foods. You can lose a lot of weight eating a fruit and vegetable diet, AND remain healthy and free from disease.

Very interesting. Which low carb diets say no vegetables?
  • Rocbola
    Options
    It's low-fruit, sure - because fruit is mostly sugar.
    Fruit is mostly water.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    No offense, but perhaps you should study the sciences instead of spouting nonsense.
    I was going to ask you the same!!!