I fell off the wagon. Needing some serious encouragement.

2»

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    It's gotten to the point where I feel guilty after putting anything in my mouth. Even ''healthy'' foods like a cup of tea... I have struggled with food since I was around 13 and have a history of binging and purging. I am starting to feel the urge again.

It sounds like you need to stop making foods "good" and "bad". You need to eat to live, you need to eat to move. Food isn't going to go away. And if you build your success on staying away from "bad" foods 100% of the time, you're going to fail - only because those "bad" foods will still be available to you every day of your life.

Try to figure out how to do this without putting things off limits. Make it about choosing better foods more often, and treats less often. I still had treats every single day of my 60 lbs weight loss. I was never derailed - there was nothing to derail. I ate whatever, I just tracked it and kept moving. For the sake of building healthy life habits I ate more fruits, veg, and lean protein than usual, but I didn't cut out anything that I loved. Make it about moving to make your body stronger, and tracking to get an accurate idea of your intake.

Congrats on your success in weight loss so far - it is success! You can continue to succeed. But if you'd like that success to stick around for some time, I think you'd benefit from not making food the enemy. That's giving food WAY too much power :smile:.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Also, very time-specific goals *can* be a good thing if they're realistic, but they also have to be FLEXIBLE!

That is to say, don't beat yourself up if you're not your ideal weight by bathing suit season. If you're smaller than where you were when you started, and you're building healthy eating habits and learning to love exercise, then you are winning. You'll hit the goal weight in time. What's the rush anyway? You plan on staying a healthy weight for years, right? Then why do you have to get there in only so many days and no more?

Not reaching an arbitrary number by a preset date can set some people into a tailspin, thinking they have somehow failed. You haven't failed! You're still doing this :smile:.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    You don't want it bad enough! You can do it! Do the work, and get the results...always earn what your worth. You don't have to be strong to start, you have to start to be strong! Just remember that it doesn't get any easier, you just get better! Like Rocbola says...it's not a race, it's a worthwhile endeavor! Eventually you will just get used to it, and that's all your going to want to do because you never know how bad you feel, until you start feeling GOOD! Keep up the dedication!:smile:

This is amazing and encouraging! Thank you! We all fall off once in awhile and get back on. Never quit!!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    It's gotten to the point where I feel guilty after putting anything in my mouth. Even ''healthy'' foods like a cup of tea... I have struggled with food since I was around 13 and have a history of binging and purging. I am starting to feel the urge again.

This is info that should have been given up front. None of us are qualified to give you the advice you need over an internet forum. Are you seeing a health professional to assist you with your eating disorder?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Start off by ditching the "wagon". There is no wagon. Own what you eat, but don't moralize it; you did nothing "wrong".

Your choices are either bringing you closer to your goals, or further away. But every day goes in the bucket, regardless.

From painful personal experience, the worst thing I EVER did was look at weight loss as a "wagon", or a train off the "tracks", which fostered a "start tomorrow/start Monday" mentality that lead to this idea that I'd be perfectly on point tomorrow. Those tomorrows seldom came. The shame, guilt, and disillusionment that came after all those wagon falls just served to help me stay fatter longer. It's amazing what happens when you drop that mentality.

Well said
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member

Probably a good idea to see a professional so you don't head down the same path.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    :flowerforyou: Almost everyone does!!!!! I sure did! Live and learn. Please take care and don't entertain the b and p cycle! Easier said than done, but its good to talk about it. Confessing you have a problem is a positive first step. Add me if you'd like.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Everyday is a new start. I have the same problem. I am trying to no longer beat myself up when this happens. I just keep on trucking.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Look at it like a bad relationship. You made a mistake. Kick that crap to the curb and move on. That's all you can do.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    It sounds like you are struggling because you are switching between 2 very different lifestyles. Your diet way of life that may be very restricting to you and your normal unhealthy lifestyle that causes the weight you don't like. I think it may be helpful to re-examine your net calories and what you are eating. Perhaps you are eating too little? If it's a really big change from what you are used to it may make it harder. Maybe allow yourself a few extra hundred calories during the day so you don't feel so deprived and then maybe you would want to stick to living this way and not revert back. It really is something you need to figure out that you can maintain. You could always offset a calorie increase with an exercise increase, or just reduce the rate that you expect results.