Everything is bigger in Texas!

Options
Hey All-
So obviously I am new to MFP. I have been on and off for the last few months and with the holidays and a new job just starting its time to get my weight back under control. Now i know i am a small girl by many standards (151lbs Currently) but I feel really unhappy/unhealthy at my current weight. 10 years ago I was a nationally ranked college gymnast, I couldnt have weighed more than 110lbs the majority of my life, I was involved in a serious car accident in 2001 that ended my gymnastic and athletic career. I have now fully recovered from my accident. And to be honest there is no way (!!!!!!) I would ever want to work out as hard as i did when i was in gymnastics just so that i can weigh nothing again... I am trying a few new methods for my weight loss support.. Obviously this forum is one, I have a gym available on-site at my new work which has been great, I have a scheduled gym buddy at work and my hubby and I are working on strength fitness with "EA Active 2" for our PS3 at home. We recently relocated to Dallas, TX from Southern California and the change hit both our waste lines a little harder than expected. I am hopeful that I am takeing the right steps to get fit for myself and my husband. I bring my lunch to work 4 days out of the week and give myself a free day during the week to enjoy work out with the co-workers, since i am new to the company (5 weeks) Its nice to make those social bonds.

I hope that there is some support to be had and given here and look forward to meeting and greeting tons of special people through MFP!

-Sincerely,
Hoping to be smaller in Texas-Rose

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP! sounds like you have some good strategies. Gymnastics is so strenuous, you probably got used to being able to consume more being that active most of your life! goodluck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Where in Southern California did you live? I just moved from Ventura to Albuquerque, NM. Thankfully, the only real difference I've seen is no beach. It bums me out a little, but I didn't have total culture shock.

I'm glad to see you give yourself a day off! It seems like almost everyone on here is really strict about their eating habits. It makes me a little sad to see so many people get all worked up because they're going to a party or out to lunch and don't know what they can eat. My philosophy about eating is to not deny myself the foods I want to eat. I give myself two days off a week (generally the weekend) where I don't exercise or worry about calorie restrictions. Because it's not like I'm never going to eat pizza or drink a soda again. Even though I'm working hard to get in better shape I have to be able to do it without going crazy from all the restrictions!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, fellow Dallasite :) You definitely sound like you're on the right track. Hope you enjoy your stay both in Texas and MFP.
  • utamore
    Options
    Dallasite reporting in. Welcome and good luck. Local cuisine is indeed bad for the belt, but as the other D-town crew here can confirm, it's not impossible to be a skinny Texan.
  • jeannewafa
    Options
    You can do it! Living in TX would be hard...the food is so darn delicious!
  • chrissy_824
    chrissy_824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Dallas!! It sounds like you are on the right track and MFP will definitely help you through this journey. :smile:
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I am actually from Dallas and currently live in San Diego. Yes Dallas has som awesome food but man was I in trouble when I discovered baja fresh here in Cali. It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck and I hope you get as much encouragement and motivation from this site as I have.

Candace
  • cherfurr
    Options
    Welcome!! I used to live in Dallas and I understand the food difference! It's hard to pass up chicken fried steak (with all that gravy) and I used to jones for TexMex every other week! This is a great support site and as long as you keep coming back you'll do great!!