How are you guys burning 500+ calories

Options

Replies

• ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people are talking about these HRM. Where would I get one of those from and how much do they usually run??
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So, I see when people log or check random diaries and they have like 500+ calories they can eat back because of exercise. How??? What exercises are you doing? Whenever I do or log an exercise I burn about 30 calories, lol. Which is nice and everything, but that barely makes room for me to even have a cracker and I'm hungrier after than I was to start with in the first place. Any advice welcome!!

I aim for a daily 1,000+ calorie burn during the week and 500 calories on the weekend. Included in that is my daily step burn of 10,000 steps (250 calories) but some days I almost double that. I work other exercises around it - stairs (104 cal/15 min), elliptical (118 cal/10 min), kettlebell training (200/10 min), resistance training, circuit training, squats, crunches, stability ball (94 cal/10 min) and warm-ups. I kind of pick and choose adding as required to meet my daily goals.

Edited to add: I use a HRM/pedometer to more accurate calorie burn values.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Swimming for an hour burns ~500 calories. Zumba burns ~600 per hour. Cycling burns ~400 per hour. Hiking is one of my favorites, since I often hike 5 miles+ on hilly or mountainous terrain. Carry a backpack with emergency supplies, granola bars & water and you're carrying 10 lbs and burning even more.

My goal is to have my exercise diary look like this:
    Swim: 1 hr 6:30am MWF, 1 hr 4:30pm TTh (2500 calories)
    Zumba: 1 hr 4:30pm MW (1200 calories)
    Bike: 1 hr 6:30am TTh, 1 hr 4:30pm F (1200 calories)
    Hiking: 3 hrs on Saturday or Sunday (1689 calories)
    Total calories from exercising: 6589 calories/week, or an extra 941 calories per day

I'm having a lot of trouble waking up early to go exercise in the AM before work, so it's ended up being 120 minutes straight at the gym after work. I'm pretty beat after that since I've gone from fairly sedentary to 2 hours 5x a week. Hopefully as it warms up I'll be better at getting up early in the morning to get to the gym. I'm not getting home until 6:30-7 and since I cook dinner, I don't end up eating until 8 it seems. And I'm starving while cooking, which is awful. I just need to remember that in the morning when I don't want to get out of bed :)

PS- About half my zumba class is done with weights, and swimming develops muscle, which is why you see a lack of weight training. After I've been swimming for a month or two regularly I'm going to swap in weight training for biking I think.

Do enjoy working out this much? Jesus.

If you do, by all means keep it up, but I would think you are exhausting your body. Especially if you are tired in the morning ...

Might wanna listen to your body.
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people are talking about these HRM. Where would I get one of those from and how much do they usually run??

Check this link out: http://www.livescience.com/41769-best-heart-rate-monitor-watches.html
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I bought a polar FT7 off of Amazon a few weeks ago for about $75. If you type in heart rate monitor on the Amazon home page they have a big assortment in all price ranges.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I bought a Polar FT60 from Amazon most recently, I think that's probably where I've bought my previous three as well, standfast the first one in the mid 90s which I think I got in Dubai.

I run between 35 and 40km per week, row about 10km per session and cycling distance varies depending on which bike I'm using and what I'm wanting to do.

Note that an HRM is wholly inappropriate for the session described just before your post, they're primarily intended for supporting your training and they estimate a calorie burn as a consequence. That estimation is reasonably accurate for steady state work, becomes less accurate in interval sessions and for resistance training is inaccurate.
  • tavisharts
    tavisharts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me its dance dance revolution.
    There is an exercise mode you can set with goals.

I usually burn about 500 calories in about 1 hour playing on advanced.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I sometimes ask the same question.. I see people on my list doing 1200 calorie burning exercise?

Then you get those that track their exercise but make the calories burnt = to 1? I don't get the point :/
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Then you get those that track their exercise but make the calories burnt = to 1? I don't get the point :/

Sometimes I do that because I like to track so I know what I did on what day, but I didn't feel like messing with my HRM and I don't trust MFPs estimations. Therefore, I just put 1 so it lets me log it anyway.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I sometimes ask the same question.. I see people on my list doing 1200 calorie burning exercise?

I burn 1200 calories by running 12 miles.

And as for the logging it as 1 calorie, that is because I already have it accounted for in my manual setting.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    they set calories burned to one so it doesn't change their macros.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to say people burn more than they actually do. I know I also had a really messed up stationary bike that used to tell me I burned 400 cals in 15 minutes..

Only accurate thing is a HRM
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I walk 15 mins to college and come home for lunch too, so I rack up about 60 mins walking a day at about 200cal burn. On top of that I might do weight lifting, running (I use the Runtastic app which helps because it tracks how fast you're going, elevation, etc and gives you an approximate calorie burn, I usually burn around 50cals for 5 minutes of running, so half an hour is already 300 cal burn!). 20 mins jumping jacks burns roughly 100 calories...

It just all racks up! Try doing a few minutes of different activities and you'll be surprised how quickly you earn calories :smile:
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just let my Fitbit sync automatically with MFP....occasionally I'll add extra exercise, but not often. On gym days, however, the Fitbit tells me I've burnt 400ish cals for the whole day, yet my HRM (Myzone) tells me I've burnt anything between 400 & 700 calories just for an hour at the gym, depending on how hard I've worked.
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I ran 13 miles today. I really hope that I burned more than 500 calories.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i hit that easy shoveling snow. thank god its march and the snow is about over!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The way I can burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time is to do a treadmill incline run or intervals. Carrying my body uphill fast does it everytime. I alternate days between running and circuit training DVDs such as 30-day shred or T25, but I only get about half of the calorie burn on those days.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I ran 13 miles today. I really hope that I burned more than 500 calories.

Absolutely! Even at my maintenance weight, I burn 100-ish per mile depending on the incline.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So, I see when people log or check random diaries and they have like 500+ calories they can eat back because of exercise. How???

A huge proportion of people are significantly over-estimating their burns.

This is especially true of the HRM Mafia, who very often are using the devices incorrectly/inappropriately.