Today I learned that I weigh nearly 400lb

Options

Replies

• tammcclure
    Options
    I was close to 400 myself so I SO understand where you are coming from! I was 387 when I started to lose weight 21 months ago. I've lost 87 pounds which to most people is SO impressive. The problem is, having another 150-155 to go. It's HARD to stick with it for so long. It's hard to hit a plateau and know you either have to work out even more or eat even less. It's HARD to drink 8 glasses of plain water a day (I struggle with that one). But I've done it for nearly 2 years now, I can do it for another 2 or 3 to reach my goal. I just keep telling myself I've come too far to stop now. :)

You've already hit a milestone. Getting your scale to read your weight means you've lost everything 400 and up you've been carrying. It is an amazing feeling to look at those numbers and know that even though by anyone else's standard we are still not "fit" but we are on our way and will, yes WILL, keep getting closer every day to goal!

I'd be glad to help keep you on track if I can. It isn't easy. I've tried to lose weight so many times in the past and failed. This time though, I've managed to do it. Because I'm not using some fad, crazy diet or cutting out a food group. I'm doing it the right way, slow and steady. I'm impatient for the end to get here so I can go buy a new wardrobe of clothing I've wanted to wear for years but either they don't make it my size or I'd be embarrassed to wear such clothing with my past or current body. Eddie Izzard had a joke in his standup routine where he talked about puberty. "You've got weird things happening to your body at such a crucial part of your life. You've got hair growing in weird places and never in a cool way, its all patchy, you have zits all over your face. I'd look in the mirror and say "Geez I wouldn't even shag me." haha I always think of that when I look in the mirror and get down on myself. Like my teen years...this too shall pass and I'll learn a lot from it.

Good luck to you and add me as a friend if you like! I'd be glad to share a virtual supportive shoulder.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and friend requests, everyone. It means a lot.
    I feel your pain and rejoice in your motivation! I am in pretty much the same boat. What really pisses me off is that I was doing so well here. I had lost 35 lbs.. and then I don't know what happened. I lost my mojo, I guess. I am just disgusted with myself! I have hated having to change my weight UP after seeing my ticker go down before. :( I started a new medication about 4 months ago that I feel has sabotaged my progress..not that alone..believe me.. I admit my shortcomings... and know I haven't been eating right (like I was when I was losing.) I have spoken to my doctor and she doesn't think the meds can be doing it plus it's something that I sort of need. ARG! I am so dang mad at myself. I told a friend today.. "it would be easier to tell you what DOESN'T HURT than to tell you what does." You would think that would be motivation enough. So, I am starting yet again. Heavy sigh.

I was in a similar position. I didn't want to bring it up in my initial post, because it was already quite long and I didn't want to ramble on for even longer, but in 2011 I lost a bunch of weight. I don't know how much weight, but I had lost a good 5 or 6 inches off my waist. Then I got a new job, I had less free time and more money, and I just slipped back into my old eating habits. I told myself "I have less free time now, I don't have time to prepare healthy meals or do any exercise". I was lying to myself because that was the easy option.

I had tried to start again a couple of times over the last couple of years, each time with the mentality of "I've done this before, I can do it again", jumping right back into it from where I left off, which proved to be doing too much in one go, and I'd barely stick at it for more than a week. Which is why I'm taking it one step at a time now. I'm not going to make the same mistakes again. This time I'm in this for the long haul.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep it up!
    I know I've still got a long hill to climb, but I'm ready for it. My current strategy is simply calorie restriction. I'm still eating far too many processed foods, and eating too many unhealthy snacks, but I'm keeping my overall calorie consumption down. I do plan on cutting down on the overly processed, high sodium foods in my diet, but I'm taking everything one step at a time.

Baby steps. It does help not taking on too much at one time. I've made tons of little changes 1 at a time and still making them. I still haven't started exercising or got my sodium levels below 2500. I've stopped eating lunch meats as often as I was.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Good luck, you got this!
  • GlitterGurl2
    Options
    Congrats on the weightloss and lifestyle changes. It works if you work it. We can do this!
  • jjsnavywife
    Options
    Fantastic!! You are headed in the right direction!!
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - keep it up!
  • marie111
    marie111 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    well done upwards and onwards congratulations
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    request sent
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! Best of luck to you in your journey.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You can do this! It's a complete lifestyle change and I applaud you for your efforts. Keep up the great work! You can add me if you like I can always add more support to my circle.
  • emilyasdf
    emilyasdf Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is not necessarily an easy journey, but most rewarding! Glad you can be on it with us(:
  • allysteven880
    Options
    This is very exciting here. I get encourage. Well done.
  • jrevolver
    Options
    Thank you for such a candid post. :smile: Like you, I've pretty much ignored the community section, but I feel less accountable that way. So I'm going to begin showing my face around here. Congratulations to you! You're going the right direction.
  • wbchunks
    wbchunks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - Good luck on your journey !!!
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well done for how far you have come already! One focused step at a time is a great path to follow. I wish you every success! x
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Friend request sent.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a solid, reasonable plan for weight loss. Good for you! Slow and steady wins the race. Fast and drastic burns out quickly. Good luck!
  • Loss4TheWin
    Loss4TheWin Posts: 249
    Options
    Beautiful - love the positive outlook. Good luck on your journey!
  • beth4dieting3
    beth4dieting3 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Matty, First of all, I'm VERY proud of your progress!! I'm also thrilled that you are taking a realistic approach to your journey and not cutting out everything possible to lose weight. I would like you to read my blog .... scroll all the way down and start at #1. I write it for people like US - you and I. I make no money off of it - so I'm not trying to scam you. I simply have embraced a similar approach that you are embracing and felt led to motivate, encourage, educate, share with and make people laugh. It's a slow program, but it's lifelong. I hope you like it. It's: 1fatchick2another.blogspot.com

Feel free to add me if you would like to! Take care, Beth