Body Weight Strength Training

Options
tyediri
tyediri Posts: 183 Member
Hello all,

I have been working out for months now and am pretty fit with my cardio (am one of those girls in the front row of the Zumba class jumping up and down when everyone else is just stepping around). I have been doing bits of weights, but nothing significant.

I would like to increase the amount of strength training I do. I have not got any weights with me (just a few hand weights 1kg, 3kg and 5kg I think). I was wondering if anyone knew any videos on youtube or strength training plans that used pretty much only body weight that targeted all the main muscle groups? I would like to start doing this a few times a week at home for a couple months and then maybe going to the gym and using their weights.

Any help, advice would be appreciated. Also, do let me know if my plan for starting my strength training journey is not the best and can be improved. :P
Thank you in advance!!! :)

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Look into the You Are Your Own Gym book or the app (YAYOG) by Mark Lauren. I use the app every now and then and it's a fabulous workout!! You can also customize it. I highly recommend it. He also did a female version called Body By You.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    YAYOG
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerdfitness
    Strength Unbound

These are all some great places to start. Don't let people tell you that body weight training is inferior.
  • mpderksen
    Options
    The Insanity DVD set will take you to the next level. Unlike P90X, which I also have, no equipment required. For about the same money, a TRX strap would be awesome. But there's less structure there, and you have to be self-motivated. If you like aggressive classes, then Shawn T in Insanity is great.
    Rodney Yee, who makes Yoga DVDs was once asked if he ever lifted weights. He said yes, his body. Great point.
    Another great option is to Google "travel WOD". It's a list of CrossFit options that a fast and effective. With a good jump rope you can do a lot in a small space.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I started the PLP program last week (fully explained in the link below). It's an add on progressive bodyweight program.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/03/13/that-time-i-did-2440-pull-ups-the-60-day-plp-challenge/

All you'll need is a pull up bar. $20 on amazon.

If you can't do a pull up, do negatives (drop from the top down slowly).

And if you can't do a flat push up, start doing them on an incline like a hands resting on a couch arm rest.

You get results real fast..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YAYOG
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerdfitness
    Strength Unbound

These are all some great places to start. Don't let people tell you that body weight training is inferior.

this.

all you need is progressive loading- how you progressively load is up to you- body weight IS a weight- you just have to educate yourself on how to do it.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Here is a bodyweight strength training guide that I wrote for beginners:

http://strengthunbound.com/bodyweight-strength-training-beginners-guide/

Its a little light on progressions, but the goals wasn't so much a plan to follow, but instead to bring you to a level where you know the basics of what you are doing and why you are doing it, so you can come up with your own plan.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The Insanity DVD set will take you to the next level. Unlike P90X, which I also have, no equipment required. For about the same money, a TRX strap would be awesome. But there's less structure there, and you have to be self-motivated. If you like aggressive classes, then Shawn T in Insanity is great.
    Rodney Yee, who makes Yoga DVDs was once asked if he ever lifted weights. He said yes, his body. Great point.
    Another great option is to Google "travel WOD". It's a list of CrossFit options that a fast and effective. With a good jump rope you can do a lot in a small space.

Insanity is cardio, not strength training. Some moves require strength, but it is not a strength training program.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club App! It has different levels and works with mostly body weight exercises, it may require you to have a set of hand weights and a medicine ball for some workouts.

I love this app to death!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    YAYOG
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerdfitness
    Strength Unbound

These are awesome. And I'll add startbodyweight.com.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    YAYOG
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerdfitness
    Strength Unbound

These are awesome. And I'll add startbodyweight.com.

Yeah. I'm not sure if he's on here, but El Diablo's site is awesome, his infographic for beginners is top notch.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/01/basic-routine-infographic-poster.html
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blend Channel on YouTube. Free. Lots of options.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love these suggestions. Definitely saving, thank you !
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much!!! :)

So many options. I will definitely try them out over the next few weeks and start a body weight strength training routine that best suits me! Thank you so so much!

Did I mention you guys rock?!? :D