Always over on sugar, low on good fats! Advice, please.

Options
Hello! I recently started trying to eat better and limit my intake of anything processed. One thing I have found it that I eat a lot of fruit, which I love, but I end up going way over my macros. I also find that I am having trouble meeting my macro goal for good fats. Does anyone have any suggestions on fruits that are lower in sugar and/or unprocessed foods that are higher in good fat. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Almond butter, avocados, olive oil, nuts, full or lowfat plain greek yogurt, butter, and 4% cottage cheese all work for me. Can you trade some of your fruit to vegetables? I also eat a lot of fruit, especially at breakfast and pre-workout. With dinner I'll eat two different types of vegetables, and since I typically have leftover dinners for lunch that usually works out also. You can get a lot of good frozen veggies - trader joe's even has pre-roasted asparagus spears that you stick in the microwave for two minutes. If you saute the veggies in some olive oil, you've got the added fats that you need.

p.s. I appreciate the eating "clean" part but don't forget to give yourself some treats on occasion, so you don't binge. I shoot for 80% good nutritious food myself. good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello! I recently started trying to eat better and limit my intake of anything processed. One thing I have found it that I eat a lot of fruit, which I love, but I end up going way over my macros. I also find that I am having trouble meeting my macro goal for good fats. Does anyone have any suggestions on fruits that are lower in sugar and/or unprocessed foods that are higher in good fat. Thanks in advance!

Is there a medical reason that you need to monitor sugar? There is nothing wrong with eating fruit. I changed my settings to monitor fiber (for me) that's more important.

Healthy fats - avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive oil....use for salads or roast veggies with garlic. Change dairy to a bit higher fat, or add some cheese.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! There is no medical reason that I should be limiting my sugar other than to keep myself from having cravings. I also worry b/c they say sugar converts to fat if you eat too much, but there seems to be many conflicting reports on this. I did find some organic peanut butter this weekend so I may just throw some of that on celery and see how that works out. I wish I enjoyed vegetables more, and I'm hoping I do once my body really adjusts to eating healthier foods. It's only been 10 days at this point but I feel FANTASTIC. I am remembering to treat myself too :) Hellloooo apple crisp :) Only once a week though.