Why is this so hard???

Options
I want to drop 10 lbs. to reach my "feel good" weight. I do well for a few days and then lose control and eat whatever is in my sight. I am allowing myself 1600 cal/day and I do not deprive myself. If I want a Snickers bar after dinner, I have one...I just make sure to work it into my calorie allowance. So, why can't I stick with it?

I get so mad at myself and then wake up the next morning feeling guilty and depressed. Losing weight is so hard!! At least it is for me. :(

Replies

• MikesGirl0692
    Options
    I guess maybe it's just hard for me? :-D
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Is your “feel good” weight creating the deficiency you need to lose weight? Next, the more you stick to it the more you will progress. Third, unless there is a medical reason for not eating a Snickers bar then I damn well will eat one once in a while. The human body tends to crave the foods you’re used to eating. During my unhealthy eating years, my body craved plenty of fried and junk food because I trained it that way. Don’t play the calorie guessing game. Use the tracker and actually track all of your activities (food, water, and exercise).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's hard because food tastes really good. You just have to try your hardest to stick with it, and when you do have a "bad" day, pick it back up where you left off.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Do you not think we all want to just eat a whole bag of our favorite chips, slam down a burger and milkshake? Of course. Food is unbelievably good ... but WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE?

It has got to come from you hun.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you either want it bad enough or you don't. Simple
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you not think we all want to just eat a whole bag of our favorite chips, slam down a burger and milkshake? Of course. Food is unbelievably good ... but WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE?

It has got to come from you hun.

Love this! Gonna remember that when I want a bag of chips or fast food!
  • katepig54
    katepig54 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    remember - weight loss is a cumulitive thing - a blow out doesnt mean it is blown! just get back on it the next day and try to account for your over indulgence by eating less when you feel stronger willed. apparantley it takes 3500 calories to gain one pound.
  • courtjade84
    courtjade84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge late night snacker. It was hard to break, especially since my husband can eat whatever he want and gains nothing. I decided I want to lose these extra pounds, I pre log almost always! This helps me know what I am eating for the day and where I am calorie wise and not eat things I probably shouldn't.
    Also, for instance, last night while watching a movie, my husband brought a bag of doritos over (I was close to allowed cals). Did I want to eat the bag? Yes. I asked myself a couple questions "how will I feel after?" "Am I actually hungry, or just feel like eating junk?"
    If I'm hungry I will try and find something a bit healthier to snack on, if I just want to eat for sake of eating junk, I will either go brush my teeth, chug some water or make some herbal tea. I find these methods have helped me, a lot.
    Just figure out what you want, make a plan and stick to it :)
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard.... for everyone lol
    Not just losing weight but even gaining weight for some, getting toned, bulking -- basically attaining the level of ideal fitness you set for yourself is difficult (but not impossible).

I can definitely relate in that I struggle with my relationship with food. I struggle with binge eating and even used to get literal adrenal highs from secretly eating. Then I used to be in this cycle of quick weightloss/fad diets where I deprived myself, then I binged because I deprived myself, then I dieted because I binged, then on and on and on.

But I think what I've learned is 1, you can't focus on weightloss. Weightloss is a BYPRODUCT of eating healthy and exercising and having an overall healthy lifestyle. That change to having a healthy lifestyle (from where ever we are now) doesn't happen over night, that my friend is the struggle.

The reason (I think) why you feel guilty is because you view that snickers as something that is "bad" and will hinder your weightloss because you have this ideal view of what a a diet to lose weight looks like (ie veggies, fruit, nuts, etc) but that snickers doesn't quite fit in. So in your mind you failed yourself. But I think quite the contrary, you should be PROUD that you fit it into your meal plan and managed to stay under your cals! That's awesome!

But like I said its a struggle for everyone, just try to take it one day at a time and know that it's okay to have chocolates and donuts and cakes etc once in while. It's okay to mess up once in a while. Remind yourself this is not just about weightloss, it's about changing your lifestyle and that will inevitably take time... or a few times even

Best of wishes to you love
  • Powejm03
    Powejm03 Posts: 1
    Options
    Suggestions:
    A) If you have late night snack cravings, go to bed. Brush your teeth (which is supposed to help bc you don't want to ruin the minty taste), put on your pjs and watch the news in bed. I find it much easier to say no to cravings.
    B) Chew gum
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, where I have less than ten pounds to go to meet my healthy goal. Do you live alone? I do, and so the solution to this is easy for me. I have absolutely NOTHING in my house that I can binge on that will push me over the edge calorically. The only thing I have that I could eat too much of is plain popcorn...and that is super low in calories. I shop for myself weekly...so I only have enough food in my house for the week. If I decide I want an extra string cheese one day, I'll be without it come Friday. I find this works great for me.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge late night snacker. It was hard to break, especially since my husband can eat whatever he want and gains nothing.

OMG, my husband is the same way and it's frustrating. Since I make all the meals in the house, he basically eats what I eat these days. If I lose 2 pounds, he loses 5 and he really doesn't need to lose any! GRRRRRRR
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about food and say no... there is no other way
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My serious answer to your question is that it's hard because you aren't ready yet. Your mind says you are ready, but emotionally you aren't. Which, you know, is ok. It took me YEARS to get to a place where I was ready, and there wasn't a big triggering event. There were several times I *felt* like I *should* be ready, but I never was able to stop the cycle of deprivation, binging, guilt.

When I was ready, it was a lot easier. It's still hard, but it's more that I'm frustrated I can't have whatever I want immediately - mild, not consuming. I don't feel a lot of guilt any more because I make active decisions about my eating - I don't eat passively or blame anything/anyone else for what I choose to eat. There are days it's hard because I'm stressed out and emotional and tired and my old patterns are to eat a lot and sleep a lot, but I choose still to eat what fits or to accept the consequences of slower weight loss.

You have to get out of your old patterns and mindsets, you know? When you are really ready to do it and accept responsibility for it, then it becomes a priority and you get on with it. Only you can know when you are at that point.
  • courtjade84
    courtjade84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge late night snacker. It was hard to break, especially since my husband can eat whatever he want and gains nothing.

OMG, my husband is the same way and it's frustrating. Since I make all the meals in the house, he basically eats what I eat these days. If I lose 2 pounds, he loses 5 and he really doesn't need to lose any! GRRRRRRR

Haha, mine will eat what I make then at 9 pm start frying up bacon or making wings or go out and get McDonalds.. do you know how hard it is to resist the smell of bacon?! Lol, I just go straight to bed when that happens.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    do or do not. there is no try.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    they say nothing tastes as good as skinny

i beg to differ

Advertisement-BK-Double-Whopper-Cheese.JPG
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The last 10 is usually the hardest, especially if you are already at a healthy weight and want to lose vanity pounds.

How much do you weigh now? How tall are you? What type of workouts do you do?
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My serious answer to your question is that it's hard because you aren't ready yet. Your mind says you are ready, but emotionally you aren't. Which, you know, is ok. It took me YEARS to get to a place where I was ready, and there wasn't a big triggering event. There were several times I *felt* like I *should* be ready, but I never was able to stop the cycle of deprivation, binging, guilt.

THAT. RIGHT THERE, I had the worst time 'trying' to lose wight until now. All through highschool I was 'happy' with how I looked and 'didn't need to lose weight', meaning I didn't think I could ever be fit and had decided to settle for something I didn't want. In college, I joined a an incredibly intense major, and found myself stress-starving. I'd drop a few pounds from deprivation, and then gain them back as soon as a project was completed and turned in. It was unhealthy, and drove me insane.

Now I am three years into college, and I am ready to change. I know what I want, I've done the reading, I've done the math. I am ready to commit to my goals, and not give up until I reach them. I was a major slacker in many areas of my life, I am not a motivated person. But the discipline I have gained from my experiences in such a high-pressure degree program has shown me that pulling a failing project up to an A IS possible. And that's how I see my body.

Perhaps you have not yet matured tot he point where you want it badly enough. Being able to value long-term goals over short-term rewards is a very difficult concept to grasp for a very long time. Stick with it, some day you'll wake up and be ready for change.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-Episode.gif