Need Easy to Prepare High Fiber/High Protein Work Snacks

Options
Hey Everyone - seems my habit of not snacking generally is coming to bite me in the *kitten* meaning the last couple of days come the middle of the afternoon I'm FAMISHED after having eaten lunch but hours before dinner. So I need easy to prepare/pack small workable snacks to bring to work with me. I already eat Pita/Chips with Roasted-Red Pepper Hummus for lunch some days, but need something that is easy to pack long those lines.

Oh and somewhat low on calories that isn't Yogurt (tummy doesn't like Yogurt at ALL!)

Thanks!

Replies

• Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I bring an apple with a tbsp of PB; that seems to help fill me up in between meals at work. Or I"ll bring veggies with hummus or some sort of greek yogurt dip; also celery with light cream cheese works....
    Have you tried skinnypop? I get it at Costco here in Canada... very low cal popcorn (like 35 cals per cup I believe)... that's an alternative when you're rushed as well.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's something that would require a bit of prep work in advice, but I'm becoming a big fan of quinoa. Mixed with black beans, chickpeas or edamame, you'd get fiber and protein in one snack. I make some quinoa over the weekend, toss in whatever beans I want, and store it in my fridge in a Tupperware. Then I scoop out some for my lunch each day and it's very filling.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I like apples, almonds (100 calorie packs from Emerald - come in a bunch of flavors too), small boxes of raisins and Bear Naked Honey Almond granola (many flavors, but this is one of the higher protein flavors)...
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I buy raw almonds in bulk and keep them in my desk drawer. That usually does the trick whether I'm actually hungry or just wanna mindlessly eat something for a few minutes. And the raw ones take a while to chew so you're kind of forced into going slow :P
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs are good for a snack- they come in their own container too so that's nice! Almonds or other nuts, celery and a tbsp of nut butter, cheese strings, jerky (high in sodium though so drink your water!), & trail mix are all good snacks as well.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Quest bars :)
  • wenderz24
    Options
    I bring an ounce or two of grilled chicken, salmon, sardines or 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with berries. It gets me through until dinner
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled or deviled eggs.

Nuts (so high cal though...)

My personal favorite is Pulled Pork Carnitas with cheese and sour cream, they take a lot of prep but I make them and they last a week.

I put my meat in the crock last night, pulled it this morning, today after work I'll transform that to carnitas, then I'll feast for a week.

Super high protein, low cal, and chemical free, but it is a 2 day process for cooking unless you have all day on a weekend to work on it.

I like it on lettuce, too.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars, cheese cubes (not high fiber, but fat and protein will fill you up), peanut butter or almond butter
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Hard-boiled or deviled eggs.

Nuts (so high cal though...)

My personal favorite is Pulled Pork Carnitas with cheese and sour cream, they take a lot of prep but I make them and they last a week.

I put my meat in the crock last night, pulled it this morning, today after work I'll transform that to carnitas, then I'll feast for a week.

Super high protein, low cal, and chemical free, but it is a 2 day process for cooking unless you have all day on a weekend to work on it.

I like it on lettuce, too.

PS all the recipes call for 1-2 lb meat. Forget that. Cook 6-7 lb at once so you can much all week.

170 cal per 4 oz. Next to nothing calorie wise, like 20g protein and so satisfying!
  • CEThornton
    Options
    i have a huge sweet tooth! do you have a microwave at the office?
    I love Peanut butter Cup Oatmeal
    1/4 c. dry oats
    1 Tbs PB2
    1/2 Tbs cocoa
    packet of truvia or splenda
    and 1/3-1/2 c. Water or Unsweetened almond milk.

with the almond milk you're looking at 115 calories, 8 grams of protein, and 5 grams of fiber.

I'll mix it all (but the water or almond milk) in a Tupperware and add the liquid and microwave for 2 minutes and done!
    if you add 1 tbs. chia seeds it comes to 174 calories, 10 grams of protein and 9 grams fiber
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    Apple sliced with 1/2 cup cottage cheese (Daisy brand 2% is my favorite). Very satisfying. Or Fiber One mealbars.
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds, apples or bananas, Quest bars, pistachios work for me!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I buy raw almonds in bulk and keep them in my desk drawer. That usually does the trick whether I'm actually hungry or just wanna mindlessly eat something for a few minutes. And the raw ones take a while to chew so you're kind of forced into going slow :P

Raw almonds make me sick.

I can stomach a little roasted almonds.

I'd recommend buying a little bag before a big bulk one.

My boyfriend loves them, and so does this MFP user, so everyone is different.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Raw almonds, apples or bananas, Quest bars, pistachios work for me!

I like pistachios and cashews.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'll have to echo the popular choices of nuts, apples, and boiled eggs. I also bring bags of veggies like cauliflower, carrot sticks, and broccoli to work. Broccoli is actually a pretty decent source of both protein and fiber.
  • margueta562
    margueta562 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A naval orange and a handful of raw almonds, Vega One Protein bar(I usually only eat half of it) with water, Yogurt spinach dip w/quinoa chips(Trader joe's). They fill me up. But drinking plenty of water is the key...