Juicing

Options
moriaht
moriaht Posts: 251 Member
I started incorporating juices into my diet this week, along with lean protein and other solid foods (NOT juice cleansing) The strange thing is I feel really full as soon as I eat/drink now, but then I feel hungry soon after. My stomach will be physically full but my body feels hungry-- if that makes sense?

I've researched it, read through MFP posts, etc and realize it is a controversial topic here. I know I'll get a lot of lectures haha but I'm more interested in hearing from the people who have experienced the same thing. I started because I have a hard time eating enough fruits and veggies, I figure this is a good way to get them in.

I'm going to try to eliminate or even just reduce the sugary fruit and veg from the juices and see if that helps.
Does this pass? Any opinions on how to stay full?

Replies

• Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can eat 2 cups of salad and a 5 oz piece of chicken, then 20 minutes later I'm "hungry". Not physically, but my brain is telling me to eat. I figured it was either emotional/ psychological (I've been known to binge pretty badly), or your body isn't getting that huge sugar spike so it thinks it still needs food, when really we are just eating nutrient dense foods that take a while to process.

If you are doing 80% veg and 20% fruit, I would leave the ingredients alone, especially if you really do like them. I still do juice 2 or 3 meals a week, mainly when I am felling sluggish and just want a vitamin super-boost, but I can never get the "I still want food" feeling to go away. So far I just go "Yep, I still want food. Oh well.' and try and deal. As long as you are eating enough and your body isn't actually needing anything. AND, more importantly, you aren't soo hungry when you get to your next meal you go crazy.

Another suggestion would be to juice most of it, but then add the juice and maybe another handful of spinach to the blender, and do a smoothie instead. Having more fiber in there could help as well.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with the way your brain percieves 'eating'. The act of chewing makes your brain trigger response saying it's full, when you just drink something it doesn't always register that. The smothie idea might not be far off, add spinnach and yogurt for protein and texture to your juices... Or you could try something light/low calorie to eat with your juice... like a banana, apple, even a small slice of deli meat, bacon or sausage. I do smoothies and find that I really work better when I eat something quick before then drink it.
  • moriaht
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks guys! Yesterday I had an egg with my morning juice, sipped on one all morning and then had salmon with my lunch juice and sipped on another all afternoon then had a normal dinner. I feel great now. I'll try to continue that.
  • moriaht
    Options
    Another question if anyone else pops by this thread: Juicing is very high calorie. Why am I losing weight? I always believe is calories in vs. calories out for weight loss, this is just a fun way to do it in my opinion