30+ going to lose 100+ lbs

Options

Replies

• sandjar131
    sandjar131 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, 3 kids (12, 5 yo twins) (married). My initial goal is to lose 130 lbs - 87 pounds into it! Feel free to add me :)

Advice? take those dreaded before pics and measurements. You'll be glad you did :). You can do this!
  • beckm2022
    beckm2022 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 30s and need to loos 100 pounds to get down to my lowest adult weight. Feel free to add me. :happy:
  • msluau
    msluau Posts: 1
    Options
    Please feel free to add me! I am 30+ and need to lose over 100 pounds. I have tried everything over the years. I have several goals, but first and foremost is to lose a total of 150 pounds. I need as much and help and support as possible!
  • zacsmommy101010
    zacsmommy101010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 28, almost 29, and a mommy to my 14 month old amazing son and my 7 year old equally amazing stepson. I'm down 29 lbs from my highest weight last year, and still have about 150 to go to get to a REALLY healthy weight for my frame and height (5'10'')

Feel free to add me! I'm just getting started back on here, and have been logging my foods for 4 days. It really does help to have more and more friends, so anyone who wants another friend who will be actively tracking food/exercise and posting in the discussion boards, you know what to do!

Good luck to everyone!
  • BSJS94
    BSJS94 Posts: 5
    Options
    when i started (a year ago), my goal was to loose 30 pounds. I started out good, slacked off for a while and am now back on it.. i do good starting out but always hit a plateau.. i get discouraged and fall off again... anyone have a good solution to this besides changing up my exercising?? i just started using this website again... it holds me accountable and seeing my weight go down on the ticker helps a lot.. feel free to add me, the more we can help each other and give advice, the better off i think we'll be (at least for me..:happy: )

41112859.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BSJS94
    BSJS94 Posts: 5
    Options
    make water and exercise your best friend.. ditch the soda, sweets and carbs.. you CAN do this...
  • MaryElvira1959
    Options
    Well congratulations you're headed in the right direction, by joining myfitnesspal. It has many good tools to help you to keep on track. I know it's helped me a lot. I keep track of what I eat on the food diary and I like that it keeps common foods that you eat on record so you can refer to it and you don't have to search the information again. I like seeing the graph that shows when you started and it post the weight you started out on seeing when you lose weight. All positive incentives. I started on Jan. 9th at 264 and now in March 21st I'm down to 232. I also started out with 10 minute walks then increased more time, now I'm walking 4.4 miles a day, five days a week. My knees use to ache that's why I started out slow. I decided to lose weight because I kept going to the doctor for so many health issues and the doctor said it was all weight related. Enlarged liver, A1c was up and diabetes, and GERD. I knew things weren't going to get any better if I didn't do something about it now. I use to take 1,000 mg. of metformin twice a day, now they changed my med. and it's only 5 mg . once a day. Blood pressure is down.I share this with you so hopefully you don't have to become ill to make the decision to stay on program. Before joining myfitnesspal I had lost 30 lbs. I need 72 lbs. more to lose. I wish you good luck and you have my support on this new journey that you decided to take. Oh one more thing I know some people might not agree with this but I weigh myself everyday about the same time a nurse told me to do that, it helps you to keep on track. Sometimes I would gain a pound of some ounces that just made me to strive harder to keep on track and not to say like I use to, " oh well I gained I might as well give up."
  • jenm_123
    jenm_123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in my 30's and have about 75 lbs.-100 lbs. to lose. Would love some friends to keep me motivated. I find that I start off really well and then get off track very quickly. I have always been over weight or obese so I have nothing to compare myself to as far as a slimmer version of myself. Would really like to make this the year I finally lose the weight for good and become a happier person!

Feel free to add me! :)
  • kellbulmer
    Options
    Hi! I am 37, married with 3 kids and I need to lose over 100 lbs. Not sure how much, I will let my journey decide. My lowest weight for the last 12 years was 220 if that gives you any clue where I am. That was 3 kids and a husband ago! My oldest is a boy who just turned 9, I have another boy who is 5 and my youngest is a girl who is turning one next month. Time to kick the baby fat out! I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I look at pictures from high school, I weighed 170 and thought I was fat! Wow! So this my umpteenth try at losing the weight but I am determined. I am a week in and have lost 3lbs. I am using this site, plus tracking my activity with a FItbit zip. Good luck!
  • kellbulmer
    Options
    n
  • sabinesigrid
    Options
    Love to go on this journey with you! I am 31 and want to lose 60-80 pounds.
    I will add you as a friend!
  • amandamartinez0920
    Options
    I am 37 and have 100+ to lose. I have an 8 1/2 year old son, 7 year old daughter and 3 year old daughter. I have just started my finally weight lose journey. We are traveling to Tampa for my sisters wedding in Nov and plan to go to Disney. I want to be able to enjoy myself. I want to be able to ride the rides with my kids and have fun.

We have a lot in common and would love to bounce ideas off each other.

Amanda
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a 46yo Single Mum who lost 118lbs 5 years ago and am now maintaining there or there abouts. Log everyday and am now trying to up my fitness and work on tone and shape.

Please feel free to add me if you want.
    Jules xx
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me anyone as well. I am on the verge of 40 but technically not until next year :) Have 100+ to lose...more like 200 but one step at a time :)

Best of luck on your journey!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. Feel free to add me.
  • shaylalaine
    shaylalaine Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I guess I 120 ponds but I am setting my goal at 50. I hope I can lose it by Oct 24 for my highschool reuninon. 20 years since highschool, am I really 37 already?

when I lose weight it will aggravate people, I can't wait for that :)
  • goldenopp
    goldenopp Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi I'm 31 and am working on dropping 50 more lbs! Married with 2 kids. Ages six and eight. For those who are needing help getting started with exercise I can help! I run small groups of different levels of fitness for everyone to just chop our small goals down one at a time. Please msg me if you're I interested I'd love to talk with you all! Congratulations on starting the journey to the new you!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Im close to 30 and still have 80+ lbs to lose I'm on daily and my diary is open =) Feel free to add me!
  • donnahadenka
    Options
    Hey there - I'm a brand new recruit to my Fitness Pal and hoping to lose 70 pounds to get back to my ideal weight! Also suspect that I may be suffering from Gerd? Have you managed to get the condition under control with better eating habits and may I ask you what symptoms you were experiencing? Trying to figure my situation out and suspect that that may be the cause! Any information that you are willing to share would be very much appreciated! Wishing you good luck and continued success with your journey on my fitness pal!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Not sure where to start?

Well, you're already here. So you've got that going for ya. As for the rest?

Here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants