Wisdom teeth removal diet?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm having mine done next week I think (I only have two thankfully). Anyone been there done that can give me some advice on what to eat and how long it's going to hurt?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The only thing I remember from mine was no sucking anything....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

straws, smoking etc.

Mine actually weren't too bad, I only had two as well...they popped right out.

I actually ate a burger 2 days later...

ETA: but if it is painful to chew which I hear it can be...broth, ice cream, pudding, jello, soft foods like that...smoothies as long as you don't use a straw. Apparently the sucking hehe can cause dry socket which is so painful (speaking from exp)
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yup, been there done that. I had sugar free pudding, scrambled eggs, jello. What tasted the best to me was Chinese egg drop soup. Just keep hydrated. No soda or anything carbonated because that could result in a dry socket. Got my dentist up at 5 AM because of it. I had a tiny sip of diet 7UP before bed . DONT DO THAT... Good luck.
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My husband went through it. Thick smoothies to eat with a spoon not a straw.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I guess I'll have to stock up on fat free puddings, applesauce, frozen yogurt, and eggs. Thanks. That doesn't sound like much fun.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok I guess I'll have to stock up on fat free puddings, applesauce, frozen yogurt, and eggs. Thanks. That doesn't sound like much fun.

Pain/duration of pain..........really does depend upon how deep your wisdom teeth are. If you find you need the pain pills (codeine) ....make sure you have some foods with decent protein/fats.....codeine on an empty stomach (ugh).

Also, keeping the ice packs on/off like clock-work helps with swelling (thus reducing pain).
  • Francl27
    Options
    Which reminds me I need to stock up on almond milk so I can make protein shakes too... Good times.

They're impacted, not sure how deep though but it doesn't look fun.
  • dtp1931
    dtp1931 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoes , greek yogurt
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    All four of mine were impacted and had to be surgically removed when I was 18. I had it done on the Friday morning after Thanksgiving in 1982. My diet was to steadily consume Percodan over the weekend and spit into a bucket. :) I ate a hamburger on Sunday night night just by nibbling it down.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I had all four of mine surgically removed about 3 years ago. It was bad for me, the wounds bleed for 6 days after. I didn't feel much like eating as you can imagine, but yoghurt, creamed rice, ambrosia custard, jelly, ice cream, soup, mashed potato - all options but I ended up losing a fair amount of weight because I it hurt too much to eat (all gained back eventually )
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My wife had hers out a few years ago. She was eating Cheetos later that day.

IOW: who knows what you'll be able to eat?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I had pasta pretty soon after. I didn't eat really normally until after the stitches came out. About a week?

I definitely ate applesauce and smoothies.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I only had my two upper wisdom teeth.

I don't remember much about diet-wise stuff....other than things like ice cream. (I obviously wasn't "on a plan" back then....it was about 11 years ago after all.)

I will tell you a trick I learned from a nurse: Take 1 cup regular tap water, and 1 cup of regular rubbing alcohol, and put that into a Ziploc style bag - then put it into the freezer. It'll never freeze hard, it stays liquid. I had 4 of them....2 in the freezer, and 2 for me - then would trade as needed.
  • SummerOBX8
    Options
    I had one take out last November. It was impacted and had a cyst growing around it. I had it done on a Thursday and by Sunday I felt back to normal. I can't say I was in pain. They gave me oxycodone which just wanted to make me sleep all the time (why people love that drug, I don't know).

The sucky part is after a week have to clean the hole with a syringe given to me at the one week follow up appt. Food gets stuck in the whole especially things like lettuce, eggs and bread.

I had a mcdonalds shake the first day. Then mashed potatoes, broth soup, slim fast shakes and pudding. Honestly did not feel like eating much and lost a bit of weight in that time.

I have another that needs to come out this year but its not impacted.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It probably won't be that bad :-)

Soup with a spoon is key. I remember going to Panera and having broccoli-cheese soup the same night, but honestly I was able to chew just a little more carefully and eat the same foods as usual by the next morning.

I was like you and only had two - so glad! Mine were the bottom two, I don't know if that makes a big difference. One of them got shattered during removal so that was a pain for the dentist but didn't cause any real problems.

I remember being overly confident the first 48 hours because I had no pain or bleeding at all...and then after that I started to have some bad headaches and jaw pain - it felt like my jaws were stretching or constricting, very odd sensation. That's when I took the painkillers. Within a week all was well...didn't have any discomfort AT ALL beyond 4-5 days.

Good luck!!!
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    Drugs.... Mine sucked, had all four out at once and they were all in sideways... Food was the last thing on my mind for the first few days after.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I ate nothing but mashed potatoes and chocolate pudding for three days. But I had all four (impacted) removed so it was a little painful.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm having mine done next week I think (I only have two thankfully). Anyone been there done that can give me some advice on what to eat and how long it's going to hurt?

How about a food that will make it heal faster?

My dentist told me to eat a whole pineapple the day before the surgery. Something in pineapple is magical and helps you heal.

Keep your mouth clean and don't get dry socket like I did
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I ate tons of soup. Tomato was my favorite because it was easy to drink.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out at 18, I ate Pastina (teeny-tiny pasta that doesn't need to be chewed), mashed potatoes, applesauce, jello (pudding and gelatin)...but I started out the first day or two on baby food (fruits and cereals). I was eating most regular food within a week and was totally back to normal in about two weeks (but mine weren't impacted, they were a simple extraction). When I had my tonsils out (at 21), I was totally out of commission for two weeks and wasn't back to normal for over a month...the wisdom teeth were WAY easier.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed two summers ago. I had three wisdom teeth (the fourth was just missing). All three were impacted and bottom tooth on right side had nerves wrapped around the jawbone. Honestly, it was quite unpleasant, but not unbearable. I don't think I ate the first day. After that I just had applesauce, soup, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes and other things you don't really have to chew. That lasted for a few days and then I was back to normal foods.