Breakfast at Work

Options

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    and you can control the consistency..packaging says 3 cups of water to 2 cups of oats... you can increase that to 4 if you like it a little thinner...
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast at work, I don't have time to work out AND eat before I leave the house in the morning. I scramble up a couple eggs, chop up some bell pepper and canadian bacon in a small plastic bowl and microwave it at work. Sometimes I'll switch up the meat and put ham, turkey sausage or bacon in it for a change of pace.
  • Benn3011
    Benn3011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been eating fiber one cereal or a cooked eggs boil or scrambled with veggies. Today I had a half cup of oatmeal with two fried eggs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I deleted my original response because I realized I sounded like THE biggest jerk.

This probably still will...but seriously...why is it necessary to cook and eat breakfast at work?

I'm being serious. Is there some bizarre issue that prevents you from waking earlier? Do you work super weird hours?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am IN LOVE WITH chia pudding. It's so versatile, so many flavors you can make. Blend a liquid, fruit and some protein powder (some of my favorites are pumpkin, almond milk and peanut butter or coffee, raspberries, cocoa powder and coconut milk). Put your liquid in a small mason jar, toss in a couple of tablespoons of chia seeds and shake well. Put it in the refrigerator, shaking every half hour or so until the chia seeds start to gelatinize (I know that isn't a word, lol). Then let refrigerate overnight. Pull it out in the morning and you have an awesome meal.

This can be a little calorie intensive, so watch out! I usually split one "recipe" into 3 jars, and I sit below 300 calories, which is perfect for me. It won't look like a lot of food, but chia seeds are quite filling. :)
    [/quote

This sounds interesting. Could you compare it to something to give an idea of what it tastes like? I hate oatmeal, so I'm crossing my fingers that you say something else:)
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This morning I had overnight oats.
    Puree some blueberries, banana, and rasberries together. Then add
    1/3 cup greek yogurt
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1/3 cup oats
    throw it in the fridge the night before and take it with you to work.

I always struggle with brekkie.
    Bump!!
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I deleted my original response because I realized I sounded like THE biggest jerk.

This probably still will...but seriously...why is it necessary to cook and eat breakfast at work?

I'm being serious. Is there some bizarre issue that prevents you from waking earlier? Do you work super weird hours?

I like to eat breakfast at work b/c it's more time-efficient. Not a bizarre issue, but rather a time saving technique ;)

My recent breakfasts have been a cup of oatmeal with a bit of sugar & butter on top. Today I tried going for the bacon/eggs route (cooked at home) to get in more protein but I've been nauseous all morning from all the fat. A perfect breakfast is still a work in progress ;)
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I think I am just confused somewhat because I work in a really laid back environment and no one cooks/eats breakfast at work...but in the past I worked mostly in more corporate, stuffy offices and there was NO WAY anyone was going to do that. What if your boss walked in? Or a customer/client (if you served clients)?

I do understand a boiled egg or a granola bar...but actually prepping and cooking AT work?

I also worked for several years in a social service agency that had to crack down on employees doing this. They would arrive at work at 8 am as scheduled, cook and eat breakfast, and start actually working between 8:30-9. I probably sound like the biggest jerk yet again, but I don't really see why employees were surprised when management nixed that...to me it's NOT any different than if you were supposed to get off work at 5 pm, but stopped working every day at 4:30-4:40 and went into the staff kitchen and started chopping veggies and prepping your dinner for after work. OR if you came in to work at 8 am and hung out in the employee restroom flat-ironing your hair and doing your makeup for 15-30 minutes.

Makes no sense to me.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Mix up night before

1 T flour
    1 T b sugar or sugar substitute
    1 T dry old fashioned oats
    1 T butter
    Mix together till crumbly
    Chop 1 apple with skin
    Place in small container, add crumbled ingredients
    Add cinnamon

When you get to work, microwave 3 minutes.
    I also eat a boiled egg for some extra protein. Both totally portable, plus it is DELICOUS..
  • Mygsds
    Options
    I think I am just confused somewhat because I work in a really laid back environment and no one cooks/eats breakfast at work...but in the past I worked mostly in more corporate, stuffy offices and there was NO WAY anyone was going to do that. What if your boss walked in? Or a customer/client (if you served clients)?

I do understand a boiled egg or a granola bar...but actually prepping and cooking AT work?

I also worked for several years in a social service agency that had to crack down on employees doing this. They would arrive at work at 8 am as scheduled, cook and eat breakfast, and start actually working between 8:30-9. I probably sound like the biggest jerk yet again, but I don't really see why employees were surprised when management nixed that...to me it's NOT any different than if you were supposed to get off work at 5 pm, but stopped working every day at 4:30-4:40 and went into the staff kitchen and started chopping veggies and prepping your dinner for after work. OR if you came in to work at 8 am and hung out in the employee

restroom flat-ironing your hair and doing your makeup for 15-30 minutes.

Makes no sense to me.

We are allowed 2 15 minute breaks in the day plus 1/2 hour for lunch. We are allowed to use those 2 breaks as we want. It's not like we are trying to do something that is not allowed. By the way, have been with this company 34 years so relax
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This may have already been mentioned, but try mixing protein powder in with your oatmeal....some love it, some hate it.....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I cook scrambled eggs and reheat them at work. I put chicken, spinach, mushroom, egg whites and onions int hem. Today I threw in yams for something different. Veggies vary with what's in my fridge and what i'm feeling.

I also do greek yogurt with fruit and protein powder. Sometimes will add oats and chai seed to that and make it more like a pudding. or less yogurt and more oats for overnight oats.

Or mix fruit with cottage cheese

PS..I eat break lunch and 2 snacks everyday at work.. at my desk. Obviously if a client was coming in that day, I'd not have evidence of that laying around nor would I do it while they were here. It's really not all that uncommon a thing.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options

I also worked for several years in a social service agency that had to crack down on employees doing this. They would arrive at work at 8 am as scheduled, cook and eat breakfast, and start actually working between 8:30-9. I probably sound like the biggest jerk yet again, but I don't really see why employees were surprised when management nixed that...to me it's NOT any different than if you were supposed to get off work at 5 pm, but stopped working every day at 4:30-4:40 and went into the staff kitchen and started chopping veggies and prepping your dinner for after work. OR if you came in to work at 8 am and hung out in the employee restroom flat-ironing your hair and doing your makeup for 15-30 minutes.

Makes no sense to me.

Which of the suggestions on here would take an HOUR to prepare?
    Seriously, three minutes at max. I can show up 3 min early if a boss cares ;) But usually it's considered the same as a bathroom break and I get glowing reviews about my work ethic so I'm not too worried.

I work on my computer, so no one cares if I have a bowl of oatmeal next to me while I'm typing. Eating while working is actually shown to increase brainpower! I like the idea on here to mix protein powder into oatmeal... I normally eat protein powder at night to quell cravings, but I could try mornings instead.

Of course when I work physical labor jobs I don't try to eat breakfast at the same time. I can't exactly lift 50 lb bags with one hand whilst spooning oatmeal with the other...
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie for breakfast in the morning before i leave and put it in a to go cup.

1 scoop vanilla protien powder
    1 cup raw spinach
    1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
    1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
    1 tblspn hemp hearts

Blend and go!

Yummy and keeps me going til lunch
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thomas Triple Health English Muffin, one egg, 2 oz ham, 1 slice of Sargento Ultra Thin cheese of your choice. I make the sandwich at home and heat it in the microwave at work for about 45 seconds. About 250 calories and 18 gr of protein.
    Yes to this- I use the muffin and egg and some hummas. I need to start adding ham back in! I make them up on Sunday night, let them cool after assembly and baggage them up. Letting them cool is important or you'll have soggy bread from condensation.
  • Mygsds
    Options

Makes no sense to me.

Seriously, three minutes at max. I can show up 3 min early if a boss cares ;) But usually it's considered the same as a bathroom break and I get glowing reviews about my work ethic so I'm not too worried.

I work on my computer, so no one cares if I have a bowl of oatmeal next to me while I'm typing. Eating while working is actually shown to increase brainpower! I like the idea on here to mix protein powder into oatmeal... I normally eat protein powder at night to quell cravings, but I could try mornings instead.

Of course when I work physical labor jobs I don't try to eat breakfast at the same time. I can't exactly lift 50 lb bags with one hand whilst spooning oatmeal with the other...

Absolutely
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to work in a Hotel so I can just get something from the kitchen if I don't eat at home (I eat at home 99% of the time though because the chef has too many tempting things that are quick but high calorie like fresh baked danishes.)

My regular breakfast would travel as well though (I'd keep the granola separate until ready to eat though) a mix of berries and bananas (usually in the 150 gram total range) 30 grams Granola, 125 grams 2% yogurt (Greek will be higher Protein) You can add Protein powder to this as well it will sweeten the yogurt up a bit if you aren't a fan of plain yogurt (I am so I only add it when i drop the Granola and add some milk or almond milk and make a smoothie instead.)
  • seltzermint555
    Options

Makes no sense to me.

We are allowed 2 15 minute breaks in the day plus 1/2 hour for lunch. We are allowed to use those 2 breaks as we want. It's not like we are trying to do something that is not allowed. By the way, have been with this company 34 years so relax

Yeah I know I sound like a harda$$ - oh well. Still bizarre to me. Switching topics a bit, I would HATE just having 30 min at lunchtime. I go out to lunch with my dad once a week and that is our quality father/daughter time...and every other day I go home for lunch with the hubby which is even better ;-)
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Makes no sense to me.

Absolutely

I am an "If you can't be on time, be early" kind of gal so it is much easier to grab something or pack something (like my two cracked eggs in a tupperware container) and be five mins early to make and eat it at work-and be on time- than it is to try to cook it at home while wrestling with my toddler, who prefers to eat breakfast at daycare with her pals anyway and still try to be on time. I totally agree! And I work at a desk, so with this seditary life my bosses should appreciate me trying to be healthier.....and I wouldn't do it if I had an opposite type of job!
  • Stephoknee523
    Stephoknee523 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also always eat my breakfast once I get in to work. I switch it up in the mornings, but my usual breakfast consists of greek yogurt with raspberries and blueberries. I buy the carton instead of the individual serving cups and prep them on Sundays for the work week. I prep fruit on Sundays for an easy grab and go breakfast or snack at work as well. I've found that the prep is the most important part because it makes it easier for me to make the healthy decision to bring those items to work.

I also always get a coffee...I don't function without my caffeine in the morning.