fat vs sugar

Options
CarSidDar
CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
IF the calorie count is identical, is it better to eat fats or sugars? ie. fudge vs fries :)

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion - Fat.

Fudge and fries - both carbs and both end up as sugar.

Now Fudge v Pork Rinds (that a comparison).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Fat...all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

Assuming we're talking about ADDED sugar, and not trans fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It depends on a bunch of factors, including what the rest of your diet looks like, your activity level and hormonal factors.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's not good to consume either, if they are separated from their original source, and eaten in concentration. But it is easier to consume larger amounts of calories from fat because fat is more dense.
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If the caloric count is the same, I'd look at the nutritional value of the food to make my decision. So, I'd pick fries in this case.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Fries! Just because I like them more than fudge........no science involved in my choice - just taste!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    YES
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It depends on a bunch of factors, including what the rest of your diet looks like, your activity level and hormonal factors.

^this. If you're low on sugar for the day but have had enough fat then eat the fudge. If you're low on fat for the day then eat the fries. Though both are carbs and I'm usually too low on protein so I'd have to find a third option.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    fries and fudge, bad choices.

how about a 500 calories of white sugar vs 500 calories of vegetable oil.

Will one cause more weight gain than the other?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fries! Just because I like them more than fudge........no science involved in my choice - just taste!
    Fries coated in fudge? Is that an option?!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Both!

Because they are both so damn delicious!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what your question. Is this in regards to weight loss, fat loss, or satiety. Weight loss, they're the same, fat loss, there are studies on both sides, and there is likely minimal difference as activity levels and exercise have a greater impact on muscle retention. For satiety, most people find fats and protein more filling than carbs, but some people are the opposite.

I wouldn't want to eat either one. :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I don't understand the question. Assuming that's all you're eating, you're going to lose weight because 500 calories isn't very much.

Neither is bad on their own. You have to look at certain foods given the context of your whole day. Low on fat, eat something fatty. You've met your protein and fat, then carb load.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

In a surplus? And do you mean fat gain? If so fat would
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends, but in your example, both are pretty much just junk food...which is fine if you have room for it and are otherwise getting good nutrition...but both fries and fudge are pretty much junk calories either way.

If you were comparing a soda @ roughly 170 calories to 1 Oz of almonds at around 160 calories, the almonds would win due to overall nutritional value of the almonds being far superior to pretty much straight sugar from the soda. If you were comparing some fruit @ 150 calories to an ounce of almonds @ 160 calories, it would really depend on what you needed from a macro standpoint as well as a micro nutrient standpoint...not to mention your reasons for eating either...i.e. an apple or banana is far more beneficial to me after a good workout than would be the almonds...the almonds would be far better though for just a random afternoon snack.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what your question. Is this in regards to weight loss, fat loss, or satiety. Weight loss, they're the same, fat loss, there are studies on both sides, and there is likely minimal difference as activity levels and exercise have a greater impact on muscle retention. For satiety, most people find fats and protein more filling than carbs, but some people are the opposite.

I wouldn't want to eat either one. :flowerforyou:

Agreed. If you are on a deficit then neither will create fat storage. I certainly wouldn't be eating Veg Oil (now olive oil or coconut oil) yep any day of the week over sugar.

But in my diet I do allow both - just more of the fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered bacon.

Protein, fat and sugar all in one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Assuming no medical conditions, and assuming that you are actually at a surplus, and assuming that you are not accounting for water weight gain, then theoretically, fat will. Fat has a lower TEF and carbs generally give more energy. More energy = higher TDEE.

However, I am not sure of the purpose of the question. These things cannot be looked at in a vacuum and there are individual variables involved.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Can we just dip them in a Wendy's frosty???
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Now I want a Wendy's frosty and fries...