Focus T-25 Feedback?

Options
Hey all. I am going to start T-25 tomorrow morning. I am wanting use it more as a morning workout to start my day. I run and do weights in the evening and honestly 25 minutes appears to be a good way for me to start my day with something different than just running.

My questions are: What results have you guys seen? Do you use an HRM when doing the workouts? What tips would you give for someone who is getting ready to start it?

I know a lot of people have done it so I would just like some general feedback on the program.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I just started it last week but have had a lot of friends who's done it and had great results from 10 lbs + (not including the Gamma phase though). I used an HRM last week but decided not to for this week and just go with it because it's geared to help you burn calories throughout the day and not just during the workout. My biggest tips would be to just follow what Shaun T says. Each phase is geared towards something different (Alpha = form, Beta = Core and Gamma = Strength) so keep that in mind while doing the workouts. You may want to go fast in Alpha but the focus is on form so think "form over speed" for best results. When doing Beta keep your mind on keeping your core tight, etc.

Go modified if you have to and don't worry about keeping pace. Go at your own speed so long as you're paying attention to the focus.

I am LOVING it so far! 25 minutes isn't long in general but with this program it just ZOOMS by and is challenging but not impossible!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • bluearmy28
    bluearmy28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good info, thank you!
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I just started it last week but have had a lot of friends who's done it and had great results from 10 lbs + (not including the Gamma phase though). I used an HRM last week but decided not to for this week and just go with it because it's geared to help you burn calories throughout the day and not just during the workout. My biggest tips would be to just follow what Shaun T says. Each phase is geared towards something different (Alpha = form, Beta = Core and Gamma = Strength) so keep that in mind while doing the workouts. You may want to go fast in Alpha but the focus is on form so think "form over speed" for best results. When doing Beta keep your mind on keeping your core tight, etc.

Go modified if you have to and don't worry about keeping pace. Go at your own speed so long as you're paying attention to the focus.

I am LOVING it so far! 25 minutes isn't long in general but with this program it just ZOOMS by and is challenging but not impossible!

Feel free to friend me! :)

I agree with the above...definitely listen to Shaun T and never compromise your form over speed...never stop moving...if you need a rest, stick with Tonya she's awesome!! because its only 25 minutes, you really need to keep moving the whole time to get the best results

I was actually able to finish the program a couple of weeks ago (started on Jan 1st) and it was great! I lost 15.5 pounds and a ton of inches off my waist and hips. I probably could have pushed more, but I am just happy that I actually finished the entire program (a first for me :smile: ) I am doing Insanity now, but I'm going to tackle another round of T25, plus Gamma after I finish...I really love the 25 minute time frame and the variety of workouts was great!
  • bedfordandgrove
    bedfordandgrove Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started last week and lost 2 pounds. It will make you sweat because you don't stop moving for 25 minutes. I bought it because my mornings are too hectic to get in a long workout session. Excited to keep it up!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    First, not a BB coach, just a regular person who did the program.

My one piece of feedback for someone starting the program is that it's not a miracle program. You're not going to get calorie burns so high that you will lose weight just by doing the program. My HRM gave me about 300 calories for a workout at the highest, and I think even that is inflated because T25 does intervals, screwing up the HRM formula. You really have to have your diet in check to lose weight with this. Everyone raves about the weight loss with this program, but for me I lost the same amount per week in T25 that I lost doing P90X3. It's a 25 min workout, and even with the intervals you can't push yourself as hard as you would doing true HIIT.

I do think it's a decent cardio/ circuit training workout for people who are short on time. Alpha phase uses all body weight and Beta incorporates weights, but you're not lifting heavy. There's just not enough time in the workout to do a decent heavy lift and recovery. It's more alternating weights with cardio. I never went on to Gamma because after 10 weeks, I was bored with the program.

My last piece of advice is that T25 is hard on the legs. I went back and included Cardio and Speed 1.0 into my workout this week for a little extra cardio burn, and my calves don't like me right now. It may be easier on you as a runner, but my knees and calves hate this program, which is part of why I got tired of doing it.

If you find yourself getting bored during the workouts, start counting the number of times sweaty pike-up girl looks maniacally excited to be getting special camera time or contemplating why no one could tell hubby Scott to put on some compression pants under his athletic shorts. I'm not a guy, but all that junk bouncing around just can't be comfortable.
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Thinking of getting it and doing in the mornings. My dogs need an hour long walk at least a day, so i'm hoping to do this in the morning to give me a boost of energy during the day, and keep the walk as a stress reducer after work.

Couple questions i will add:

Are crosstrainers the shoes to wear for this?
    Yoga mat, yes or no?
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

If you find yourself getting bored during the workouts, start counting the number of times sweaty pike-up girl looks maniacally excited to be getting special camera time or contemplating why no one could tell hubby Scott to put on some compression pants under his athletic shorts. I'm not a guy, but all that junk bouncing around just can't be comfortable.

HA HA!! They zoom in on his junk numerous times in one of the Alpha workouts. I thought I was the only one who noticed that!!

I'm in week 3 right now and I really like it. I run and have done numerous Jillian Michaels DVD's but this is very challenging. I really enjoy Total Body Circuit and Cardio. I feel like I get the most out of those two. The first 2 weeks the scale was up 2 pounds but now into week 3 it's off plus another 1.5 is gone. I do agree with the above poster, it's not a miracle program. It's pretty much like any other fitness program...if you want weightloss you have to incoorporate this with calorie counting. You'll have success if you do that :)
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of Focus T-25 Beta cycle and I just received Gamma in the mail today. I love this program and I look forward to my workouts everyday. It's the only program I've ever done where I'm actually getting consistent results worth bragging about! But, I do watch my calories and nutrition like a hawk. :) I've lost 10 pounds so far and probably have about 5 more to go.

So here's my situation, I know I can push myself harder in the Alpha and Beta phases of this program. I'm wondering if I should re-do the first two phases and "nail the workouts" almost every time before I begin Gamma or even the Hybrid version of Gamma?

Or do I begin with at least the Hybrid version of Gamma so my muscles and mind will be challenged by the new workouts and hopefully shred the last 5 pounds?

I welcome your thoughts and/or professional opinions.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I did Gamma with Beta, but you will find your own niche. I have muscles that start to yawn if I keep doing the same movement even if I haven't, cardio-wise nailed everything. I like Beta speed the best and will do that more than Gamma, I like Rip with Gamma and the circuit dvd less. The Pyramid on Gamma is very challenging for muscles but has cardio in it to keep your heart rate up.
    It's a mixed bag for me, so I love mixing up the DVD's, it also makes the program more "fresh" for me. But it's a personal thing, I say see what works for you once your preview Gamma.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Just finishing week 1 of Alpha and also LOVING it. I haven't been on the scale yet but I can already feel the difference in my body.

It's hard, I do my best, look forward to getting stronger and better every week and, best of all, it's QUICK. I usually hop on the treadmill or stationary bike for a while to "cool down".

I just turned 50 and had hormone altering abdominal surgery a few years ago. I could count calories, Zumba, walk, run, weight train, etc. and have not been able to lose weight or "tone" my abdominal area (since surgery I always look pregnant).

I have high hopes for Shaun T and T25.
  • willjean
    willjean Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning strongly towards to going straight into Gamma. When something is challenging my muscles/mind finds a way to "cheat" so I'm thinking starting over with Alpha next week would be the wrong choice. I'm sure I'll remember how to cheat from the first time. :)

I believe Gamma will give me new challenges and new results. Also, looking at the Hybrid training schedule, and well, that looks even harder then just Gamma pure strength... so I'll save Hybrid for after I finish Gamma then start over from scratch with a stronger more conditioned body.
  • cheriefort
    cheriefort Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting T-25 because I have very little time it fits into my morning to start a new workout routine. Again the number one reason I started and PAID good money for T-25 is I have minimal time to spare. With that being said the amount of commercials on the DVD are really pissing me off! Sean T if you are going to put so many commercials than give away the DVDs for free! I did not pay for commercials and they are eating into my workout time. Besides this I like it!
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am currently in Beta Week 3. I have loved every minute of the workouts. I tend to do 2 workouts every other day. Through the alpha stage, I lost inches and a couple pounds, but could tell I lost fat, arms are toning up and my cardio is through the roof now.

I have now started running 4 miles as well with the Beta Stage.
  • picotons
    picotons Posts: 14
    Options
    I am currently doing Beta T25 for the thrid month. You can see in my profile pic how I look now after doing T25. I love it since it is only 25mins a day. I have very active 2 young children and I cannot do anything that is more than 25mins long. I also drink the SHakology which I believe helps with my cravings for junk food. I drink it as breakfast replacement. If you stick with the program, it will help you change your life. =)