Atkins - any low carbers out there & want to be friends?

Options
I have lost some weight counting calories and exercising but have gone up and down the scale so many times that it became clear to me that I needed to switch things up. I have read so much on nutrition and have discussed various options with people in related professions and came to the decision to do the Atkins diet. I have a noticeably bad reaction to carbs, they make me hungrier. I crave and crave when I'm eating them. Not to mention I have gluten intolerance. Also, I am the only person in my immediate family who does not have diabetes and I'd like to keep it that way. So with that said I have started the Atkins diet. I started it last Wednesday. I read the book, joined the website, and have been on induction phase since. I hope to stay on induction until I am down 30-40 pounds.
Is there anyone else using this site who is also doing Atkins? I love this site and what it has to offer so I still plan on using it in addition to the Atkins site, but MFP is not tailored to people on low carb diets so the extra support of having friends on this diet would be useful. I know this diet works. I have done it before and was successful. So far, I have felt a surge of energy that I haven't felt in a long long time. My skin is already looking better, I'm not having these feelings of all of a sudden going from fine to starving, I'm not going to bed hungry (did that every night on WW), and I'm enjoying my food. I don't feel deprived (yet..).
I hope there are others using this site who are on this diet too and hope we can join together to support one another and share recipes. :wink:

Replies

• flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hope you do well, my experiences with this diet is that it does work and I lose the weight and lose it quickly, I gain it all back and then some. Also it is so so bad on your kidneys with it trying to process all of that protein you are putting your body through. I also found it very hard to stay "regular" and began experiences periods of constipation. I found a nother diet that is more of a carb exchange program that has gotten some pretty good reviews. Its call the Belly Fat Cure diet, there is a book written by Jorge Cruise and its been at the top of the best seller list forever now. Just a thought. Good luck :)
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else using this site who is also doing Atkins? I love this site and what it has to offer so I still plan on using it in addition to the Atkins site, but MFP is not tailored to people on low carb diets ....

I'm starting Induction on Wednesday. I had to go grain free anyway - I was going to do a version of SCD for Colitis but then thought to just do Atkins instead. I've always had very good luck with my Colitis going into remission when I cut carbs.

You know you can change your settings here so that your carbs/fat/protein are at different grams/day. I'm going to do that with the carbs since I'll have to stay at 20g or below during Induction.

I have A LOT to lose - I weighed in at 338lbs this morning so this seems like a good choice for me.

Edited to add: Have you read the Atkins book before starting this? That is KEY to be successful not only in Induction but in later phases so that you/we don't regain the weight back.

For me, I can't go back to grains because of what they do to my body. I've been on disability for months at a time because of my condition and the only thing that helps is removing grains from my diet.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    i tried Atkins once & i thought i was going to kill someone because it made me so angry! :mad:

i also agree with the above post that you will, more than likely, gain your weight back after you start eating carbs again. i can't imagine not eating carbs for the rest of my life.

but good luck to you in whatever you decide. :flowerforyou:
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I'm not following Atkins, but certainly am going low carb (20% or less). I'm actually on a bit of a trial period of "off journal" for a bit to see if I can continue my weight loss without counting calories.

You can adjust your goals to be Atkins-like if you want (reduce your carbs down to meet the induction percentages and increase protein/fat levels) so you can continue to track your foods here and still meet your Atkins requirements. Go to My Home then Goals and reset stuff.

You're absolutely right; carbs do nothing but make me hungry and will in turn give me worse health problems in the long run. The only carbs I've been getting is from veggies like cauliflower and fruits like blueberries and strawberries and I haven't felt this awesome in years!

I'm with ya!
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i tried Atkins once & i thought i was going to kill someone because it made me so angry! :mad:

i also agree with the above post that you will, more than likely, gain your weight back after you start eating carbs again. i can't imagine not eating carbs for the rest of my life.

There are a lot of people out there who claim they have done Atkins and turns out they just cut out carbs, didn't read the book or do the program as intended. I know because I was one of those people 8 years ago. It is true that if people do this diet the wrong way they will lose weight but once going off it comes back and with a vengeance. Atkins done the way it is intended can be very successful. I know several people who have done it as intended (induction-phase 4) and have lost tons of weight and kept it off. And not all people have to live the rest of their lives without carbs, it's a way to reboost your metabolism and learn what carbs your body uses for energy appropriately and what carbs make it difficult to lose and/or maintain weight. Not to mention, I'm gluten sensitive so that cuts out flour and some grains anyhow... and I'd rather restrict my carbs and live a healthy life then eat them and later develop diabetes.
  • curvykent
    Options
    I hope you do well, my experiences with this diet is that it does work and I lose the weight and lose it quickly, I gain it all back and then some. Also it is so so bad on your kidneys with it trying to process all of that protein you are putting your body through. I also found it very hard to stay "regular" and began experiences periods of constipation. I found a nother diet that is more of a carb exchange program that has gotten some pretty good reviews. Its call the Belly Fat Cure diet, there is a book written by Jorge Cruise and its been at the top of the best seller list forever now. Just a thought. Good luck :)
    Did you gain it all back while adding in carbs through the phases? I know when I did my version of this diet (not reading the book or doing the program as intended) I lost a lot of weight fast and then decided to start eating carbs.....carb overloaded and before I knew it I had gained it all back.
    I do worry about my kidneys and gallbladder but I don't think I am eating a whole lot more protein than I already had been. It is a concern of mine and will be aware of my body signals. And about being regular, as long as I stay diligent about eating enough fiber I should be fine.
    The belly fat cure is different from the flat belly diet??
    There's something for everybody out there, for every body type and whatever else comes into play when talking about our metabolism.
    Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.
  • curvykent
    Options

I am quite the opposite. I have had a sunny disposition, TONS of energy (and I'm pmsing so that is weird!) and I am sleeping better. Different bodies and minds respond different to different diets. Thank you for your input though, I like to hear what people feel and their experience with things.
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Curvykent: Yes the belly fat cure is WAY different than the flat belly diet. the book is at every major book store, kroger, and walmart. Its written by Jorge Cruise.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi there, CurvyKent!

I am doing Atkins, have been for a while now - but I did fall off the wagon last week, and am back on Induction Day #3 today. I have the same response to carbs that you do - it seems when I'm eating them, I have cravings ALL THE TIME. But when I eat the Atkins way, those terrible cravings go away....

I do belong to a group on here - Group LLC - the LLC stands for Livin Low Carb. Most people are doing some sort of low carb, be it Atkins, South Beach, Dr. Dukan - whatever. The link is below - feel free to come and say hello! We just decided to start a Holiday Challenge thread - to get us through to the holidays, which aren't that far away!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/124710-group-llc-holiday-challenge?page=2#posts-1702056
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I'm on Atkins! A lot of people talk about how it doesn't work long term, but they tend to mention going back to "normal" eating after reaching their goal weight, instead of staying in Lifetime Maintenance Phase 4. I had 120 lbs to lose, so I've stayed in induction, sort of. I have started adding some of the rungs on the ladder (like nuts, and fresh cheese), but I've lost 36 lbs in the first three months, so I'm almost 1/3 of the way through! You can definitely add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I lost 30lbs and gained back 40lbs. Atkins wasn't a lifestyle change for me. It was just a diet and that's why I failed.

Good luck to those of you trying it. It certainly didn't work for me in the long run.
  • BrinaJo
    Options
    I was 265 lbs. and now weight 145-148 and have kept my weight off for over 9 years, by doing a high protein low carb and in my opinion it is the only way to go. I do agree that it can be bad for you if you do it wrong, but come on being over weight is not good for you anyway, so however you get it off, and it works then do it, atkins works great period. After you get your weight off, I would recommend the south beach diet, it teaches you the goods and the bads and makes perfect sence of eating right. I have stuck to it for alot of years now. I have hypoglycemia and it works great to keep my blood sugar regular. If you have any questions or need any tips I would love to help you. I just will warn you, I have a tendancy to not spell check or preread my post before sending so hopefully it makes sence.. haha good luck!!1
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Did you gain it all back while adding in carbs through the phases? I know when I did my version of this diet (not reading the book or doing the program as intended) I lost a lot of weight fast and then decided to start eating carbs.....carb overloaded and before I knew it I had gained it all back.
    I do worry about my kidneys and gallbladder but I don't think I am eating a whole lot more protein than I already had been. It is a concern of mine and will be aware of my body signals. And about being regular, as long as I stay diligent about eating enough fiber I should be fine.
    The belly fat cure is different from the flat belly diet??
    There's something for everybody out there, for every body type and whatever else comes into play when talking about our metabolism.
    Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.

People gain the weight back because they go back to their old eating ways.
  • TreeZombie
    TreeZombie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started Atkins on Nov. 30th. I have heard a lot of good things about it, I really hope it works for me!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I just started Atkins on Nov. 30th. I have heard a lot of good things about it, I really hope it works for me!

Good luck! Just be sure to read the NEW book! It's pretty involved, but it is awesome!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Good luck! Just be sure to read the NEW book! It's pretty involved, but it is awesome!

I like the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition.

The new version is put out by Atkins Nutritionals and they condone the use of too many products.
  • samantt
    Options
    Hi new to this site, but love atkins last year i lost 77lbs by following the programme unfortunately 6 months ago went on meds that increased my appetite and of course i grabbed all the sugary bad foods and hey presto 35lbs went on in 2 months. I love the new atkins and have been on the 2 week induction also being able to eat salads and veg really help when you get too the stadge of being sick of meat cheese and eggs. I would love to have a buddy to do it with so add me please :happy:
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options

I like the 2002 version of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 edition.

The new version is put out by Atkins Nutritionals and they condone the use of too many products.

I read your post, and then went on eBay and bought a copy for $5! It will be interesting to compare and contrast Dr. Atkins' actual diet to the new revised one. Maybe tweaking what I'm currently doing will pick up the pace! LOL!
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    I have lost 132 pounds doing ketogenic low carb since October 2009, but the key is making it a lifetime commitment. You must watch your carbs for the rest of your life! Once I hit my goal, I plan to go into something like maintenence, around 75g of good, healthy carbs. Right now, I stay around 15-25g net carbs daily with high fat and protein. I do watch my calories, but not religiously.
  • kpinney
    Options
    I am doing Atkins but I did not start at induction this time since I have 10 lbs to lose. I do try to keep carbs 30-40 a day. I started Atkins a few months ago and did lose weight for the month I was on it. However, I have a hard time sticking with any long term diet or way of life as they call it.

Atkins is not about eating HIGH PROTEIN its about reducing your carbs and eating fat. I am not going to say I have not lost weight by other methods. I prefer Atkins because I do feel satisfied and not hungry all the time. I am definitely having good results of not having any flare ups with arthritis when I reduce my carbs. I still get my bread in with carb free bread by Jullian bakery. Its amazing for a person like me who LOVES bread. Also love Atkins vanilla shake-it is creamy and yummy.

I eat alot of broccoli and tons of eggs~Hubby is a meat guy so it works great for him too.

Anyhow, good luck on Atkins!