pcos and metformin???

Options
so I have recently been diagnosed with pcos, and I am due to start metformin next week. I am curious if anyone else has used metformin for their pcos symptoms? were the side effect bad and if so how long did they last? does it actually help you to lose weight? any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Replies

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey hey, I also have PCOS and have been on Metformin for several years now. Haven't really had any negative side effects. The only thing I experienced was some mild stomach pain when I first started taking them, and because of this, my doctor had me ease into it - the first week, she had me taking 1 pill/day and then the 2nd week bump up to 2 pills/day, which has been my prescription this whole time. The stomach pain went away after the first couple weeks, and honestly wasn't really that bad. Just mildly uncomfortable. As for its effectiveness, I've actually never tried losing weight while NOT on Metformin, so I'm not sure how it compares, but I know that when I do eat right and exercise, I lose weight at a normal pace, so I'm taking that as meaning that it is helping. From what I understand, without Metformin, women with PCOS can have extra difficulty losing weight, which I've never had as long as I do what I'm supposed to do. My problem is always willpower lol Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Your Dr should have also told you in conjunction with the Metformin you need to be eating a low to moderate carb way of eating and it needs to become a way of life.

PCOS means your hormones (female, insulin, thyroid, etc) are all off balance. The more carbs you eat (especially processed carbs....yes this means pasta and breads) the more off balance your hormones will stay.

Moderate to high fat, moderate protein and lowish carbs (from vegetables first and fruit occasionally) will make your body much, much healthier.

I have taken Metformin in the past and it wreaks havoc on my digestive system with frequent trips to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea. I no longer take it and just control my carb intake.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Your Dr should have also told you in conjunction with the Metformin you need to be eating a low to moderate carb way of eating and it needs to become a way of life.

PCOS means your hormones (female, insulin, thyroid, etc) are all off balance. The more carbs you eat (especially processed carbs....yes this means pasta and breads) the more off balance your hormones will stay.

Moderate to high fat, moderate protein and lowish carbs (from vegetables first and fruit occasionally) will make your body much, much healthier.

I have taken Metformin in the past and it wreaks havoc on my digestive system with frequent trips to the bathroom with explosive diarrhea. I no longer take it and just control my carb intake.

This ^^^ - I've also heard that the lowish carb/high fat/moderate protein is the best eating plan to manage PCOS symptoms. I've only recently started trying to incorporate that way of thinking into my eating, so it's still a work in progress. I have noticed I lose weight a little faster when I cut down on carbs, but it's just HARD - I'm a carb junkie for sure lol
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am meeting with my doctor once more before starting the treatment I will definitely bring up diet issues and low carb eating...thank you both for your responses :)
  • Nekton
    Nekton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will "third" this. Cutting back on simple carbs ("white" carbs and sugar) is an important place to start. I was on Metformin for over a decade and it would make me feel nauseous once in a while. I stopped taking it 7 years ago and was pretty glad about that. The dietary change (more recent, within the past year) helped more than the Metformin did, I think.
  • danagardunio
    danagardunio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was also recently diagnosed with PCOS and started taking Metformin back in November. My doctor recently took me off because there was no difference in my A1C levels (average blood sugar levels over time) and it did nothing to help me lose weight. My acupuncturist told me that doctors often prescribe it as a "catch all" drug. Make sure your doctor has a reason for wanting you to go on it (i.e. if your A1C levels were high) and monitor your levels every few months to see if it's made a difference. Whether or not your blood sugar levels change would be the factor in determining if it helps with weight loss. Good luck!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My mom is on metformin to help control her diabetes so a low carb lifestyle does make sense. Her only negative side affects have already been mentioned (a bit of tummy trouble). I also did a low carb/diabetic diet while pregnant with both babies and turns out its a great and healthy way to eat most of the time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I started Metformin for diabetes, beginning with 500 and going up to 2000 over a few weeks. It didn't really cause stomach upset but I did have some issues with diarrhea when I first started and each time I upped the dose, but a dose of Imodium helped that. My kidneys weren't happy so I had to switch but your doctor will monitor you to make sure it is the best medication for you. It works well for most people, I was an exception.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that metformin isn't for PCOS per se, but for insulin resistance which is often seen with PCOS (as well as other issues). I don't have PCOS, but I do have insulin resistance, which my doctor thinks is a secondary effect of a long untreated thyroid condition.

So, when I started metformin, I also started thyroid meds. I can say that I'm finally losing like a "normal" person. Before the metformin and thyroid meds, I was eating at a 700+ daily caloric deficit and lost a whopping 2.2 lbs over 3 months! It was infuriating.

I was already eating a low-ish carb diet (Primal, a more permissive version of Paleo while keeping the carbs 50-80 g/day) and my exercise regime was the exact same (I lift heavy -- 3x5 program -- twice a week, do sprint sessions twice a week and walk/hike 18-25 miles per week). But, when I added in the meds, I finally started to take off weight. In the first month, I took off 7.4 lbs, which was right in line with my deficits.

It's my understanding that metformin doesn't help you lose weight on its own. You still have to do the diet and exercise part. It helps you metabolize glucose correctly and reduces the insulin resistance, so if you're eating and exercising correctly, you'll lose weight like a normal person will (if it works for you). As I also had the thryoid issue, it's hard to say how much of this is metformin and how much is thyroid meds -- I imagine it's a little of both.

As for side effects, I had some stomach discomfort, but it was relatively mild. I also had the runs for the first two days after upping a dosage (I did 500 the first week, 1000, second, 1500 third and 2000 the fourth -- which is my full dosage now). But, overall, it was pretty manageable. I feel lucky that I didn't have worse stomach issues as I've heard from others. I plan to keep up the metformin until I take the weight off -- my doctor is hopeful that at that point I'll have reversed the insulin resistance (possible but not guaranteed) and so I won't need it anymore as my thyroid will be treated properly going forward.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just got put on it and started my dosing yesterday. I am at 500mg once a day for two weeks and will gradually step up.

My endocrinologist put me on it for PCOS symptoms. I have irregular periods (I spot a lot and blleed twice a month and it is so heavy I basically have to wear a diaper lol), acne (which i NEVER had as a teenager!!),hair growth, hormones out of whack, and borderline thyroid issues. I am also insulin resistant. And I also cant lose weight no matter how much a deficit or I workout. I am hoping. It is so disappointing to have been doing this 3 months and be down only one pound.

Really hoping the metformin helps with the periods and the weight!

But as a carb junkie, I am struggling with trying to lower my carbs!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for 14 years, at first it might give you a stomach ache and bathroom issues for about 2 weeks then you adjust and feel normal.
  • sarahbessire
    Options
    I've been on 2000 mg of metformin for pcos/insulin resistance for 5 or 6 years. I lost about 50 pounds over that time, I just ate like I usually did, but the metformin really killed my appetite so I didn't eat as much. I started eating paleo 2 months ago & I'm really seeing a difference in how I feel & the weight is falling off with pretty much zero effort.
  • proacha101
    Options
    :happy: