It took 18 months, but I have reached my initial goals.

Options
Bane81
Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
Hello all,

It's been quite a long time since I've logged into this place. I was at a high point in my exercise routine and training and logging everything religiously on the site every day. However, a few things took place in a short amount of time. There was a power surge that ended up frying some of my computer parts making me unable to use it. At the time I didn't have a smart phone device so I never could get the app. All of this took place between me having a slight relapse and falling off and working at a new job that turned into a nightmare.

My journey began as a battered and hopeless addict. I found myself in a recovery home for alcoholics and drug abusers, I had just recently lost my job, I had no money and I didn't give a damn about anything. It was there that I found out I wasn't alone in a number of ways. When I was a young boy, my parents divorced and of course with any child, it was very hard especially for me being the youngest of two siblings. My father eventually married a women who had a 21 year old son and an older daughter. I was 12 at the time, so my father introduced me to him so we could hang out. Essentially he left me with him so he could do his own thing with his new bride. I ended up forming almost a brotherly bond with my step mom's son. However, he breached this trust eventually. I was sexually abused multiple times, and unfortunately my best friend had this happen by the same individual one summer in the guest cabin on a cottage property. I never told a soul for a decade until he was eventually caught doing it to his own nephew and locked away for only 4 years.

I can safely say now because of what happened during my pre teen years, I succumbed to the one moral thing I swore I would never do. I started doing a lot of drugs of all types it didn't matter. I never have shot up, but I pretty much did everything else. I've probably wasted almost 1/4 million dollars partying and wasting away my soul.

It was in the recovery home out in some small town of 5000 that I found my way back. I formed bonds with these ppl here, some of them had the same abuse as me, others even worse. It was a very hard time, but it was also a great learning experience and some form of healing. I watched The Dark Knight rises with a few other fellow addicts, I was inspired by the actor Tom Hardy who plays Bane. It was an incredible transformation he did for that role. I looked at myself and where I was at. Sitting at 315 lbs, this was the fattest I have ever been in my life. I started working out in a cheap gym for the remainder of my time spent at the recovery home.

I have since signed up for Goodlife in Canada. I can say mixed things about this gym. I used their personal training to help me reach my goals today. However, I have had 5 trainers come and go on me. A few of them I formed great bonds with and trained with for at least 6 months. Goodlife fired them for different policy reasons. I would not recommend anything long term if you decide to do personal training through this company.

I worked hard to reach my goal of 100 lbs lost. I now sit at 215 lbs. My energy levels are great, I'm a lot more confident then ever before, and I know my next set of goals are easily obtainable. I'll eat 6-8 times a day including my pre and post work out, I train 3-5 days with strength training. On work out days I'll do my cardio after my strength training, and on non work out I prefer to empty stomach cardio first thing in the morning with a black cup of coffee.

It's nice to come back and say hello again to everyone. My new goal is to bulk up to 230-235 over the next year and a bit. I want to actually get that physique now that the weight loss is gone. I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey to greatness.

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    All I can say is congratulations and welcome back. Your story is heart wrenching, but I am happy that you have been able to channel your negative experiences into a positive outcome. Good luck on the bulk=)
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You have done an awesome job to lose 100 lbs! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to hear about your bulking success!
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! MFP is the place to be for motivation and support.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    WB!
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Glad you have let go of the childhood nightmare and have taken back your life. Congrats on your success and hold your head up high.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's good to make others aware that sometimes the reason for obesity is complex and born of pain and an effort to self medicate just like any other drug. Your journey is one from a very dark place to one of healing and strength. May God bless you as you strive in your new life. You have power now, the good kind!
  • bmilesyo
    bmilesyo Posts: 2
    Options
    *kitten* yeah! I love stories like this. You overcame so much. Congrats on being a new person!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Congratulations upon both of your accomplishments;
    getting sober and losing 100 pounds
    in only ONE YEAR!
    Best wishes!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!