Need advice from gym rats out there?

Options
So I just joined a gym I had been doing beachbody workout programs for the last two years in my house but am an ectomorph and really want a great physique. So I joined a gym yesterday it not that big but I live in a really small town. What is your advice for a beginner who wants to become a bodybuilder? And attain the look of a fitness model like Jeff seid for an example.

My diet is healthy but I also feel like I'm doing everything wrong when I do the machines I follow the directions.

Etc but yesterday I was doing cable crunch and heard some people say he is doing it completely wrong with a smirk. Ignored than did it the right way.

What your advice? Thanks. Also there is no staff there when I go workout. I really want to try to bench press with the barbell but scared to death to do it. Any advice?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would learn the big compound lifts first- then work on building accessory lifts.

So look into starting strength/strong lifts/new rules of lifting.
    Go through that at least once- then start looking into doing full "bro splits"- I would direct you to Bodybuilding.com for those.

benching is over rated anyway- but learn to dump the weight- do the roll of shame- tip the bar to drop the weight off the bar- or more safely- set up a bench in the power rack with the safety pins set at the right height.

otherwise learn the words "hey man- can you give me a spot"

good luck!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    YouTube has lots of instructional videos on weight lifting. Many of the pros recommend that beginners use the machines at first. There is no shame in using weight machines and if used properly can give great results--particularly as you are starting out.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Maybe start of benching with dumb bells. If youre comfortable with 20s then you'll be fine lifting the empty bar. Dont feel any ways about benching the empty bar. Get your technique right first and then worry about adding weight. As has been said, you'll find a ton of resources on youtube.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    In most gyms, you can go up to any trainer and ask them how to use equipment. You don't need to pay to learn how to use the gym. That's what they are there for. Don't be shy, it's their job, just ask :smile:

edit:
    ugh -- totally didn't see the part where you said "There is no staff" -- seems odd you would be at a gym with no staff. Is this an apt complex gym?

Anywho, I agree with the above poster, youtube has an instructional video for almost anything.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Like JoRocka said, learn the roll of shame if you must bench alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohvvfv0OwA

and here's how to bench with heavy dumbbells safely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

Forget the machines for 6 months and learn the big barbell lifts. You need a good foundation before carving out the masterpiece.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In most gyms, you can go up to any trainer and ask them how to use equipment. You don't need to pay to learn how to use the gym. That's what they are there for. Don't be shy, it's their job, just ask :smile:

that's really NOT their job.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

agreed.

they may do it if they are not busy- to be polite-and to make good face for their gym- but don't assume that they are there to serve you. You have to pay for that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Youtube, bodybuilding.com, new rules of lifting (there's more than the book for women), stronglifts, Omar Islaf (my other boyfriend), the ripped guys at the gym, a personal trainer, a nutritionist, the ripped guys on here, there's tons of resources. I DON'T recommend running into the gym half c0cked and hurting yourself though. Do some research, it helps.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    what BB programs did you do?

not sure what you current BF% is, but if you really want a bodybuilder type physique, personally i think you'd want get a significantly low bf before you start trying to grow.

obviously you will still want to lift, but unless you are pretty cut already then you probably want to eat to lose weight for now
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    and if your not doing pull ups, do pull ups lol
  • Shalindaj77
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com have some great programs and they are free.They have programs for beginners. I started Jamie Eason's Livefit Trainer program two weeks ago and I love it!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Like JoRocka said, learn the roll of shame if you must bench alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qohvvfv0OwA

and here's how to bench with heavy dumbbells safely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

Forget the machines for 6 months and learn the big barbell lifts. You need a good foundation before carving out the masterpiece.
    I leave the clamp off one side of the bar when I bench by myself so that I can bail. I dumped not once but twice last week when I was benching at home. That probably doesn't work as well if you can go heavy, which I can't!

And thanks for the DB video-- I can probably go up 10-20 pounds on DB chest press now!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I think people may be confusing trainers with gym attendants. Also, don't most places offer a free orientation session?
  • pmumble
    pmumble Posts: 19
    Options
    Just throwing in another suggestion to start with "Starting Strength" (buy the print book and possibly the related DVD which walks through doing the exercises step by step), or "StrongLifts" (which is a modified SS).

I fooled around with P90x, Tacfit, and a bunch of other programs before finding the compound barbell movements. Barbell is the way to go. It's intimidating but it's where you want to be for solid full body progress. (and especially "squat booty", which you won't get with anything else)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I would learn the big compound lifts first- then work on building accessory lifts.

So look into starting strength/strong lifts/new rules of lifting.
    Go through that at least once- then start looking into doing full "bro splits"- I would direct you to Bodybuilding.com for those.

benching is over rated anyway- but learn to dump the weight- do the roll of shame- tip the bar to drop the weight off the bar- or more safely- set up a bench in the power rack with the safety pins set at the right height.

otherwise learn the words "hey man- can you give me a spot"

good luck!

Also, learn your limits and know how to work right on the edge of them. ANd learn how to set up a power cage for benching.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I think people may be confusing trainers with gym attendants. Also, don't most places offer a free orientation session?

Even the free session is just a thinly disguised attempt to sell you more sessions. And an attendant is the last person you should ask. Many of them are the because the gym was the first minimum wage place that agreed to hire them, not because of their lifting expertise.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In to watch youtube videos from home . . .
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just throwing in another suggestion to start with "Starting Strength" (buy the print book and possibly the related DVD which walks through doing the exercises step by step), or "StrongLifts" (which is a modified SS).

Agreed.
  • rocks512
    rocks512 Posts: 3
    Options
    When it comes to lifting, especially for beginners, stick to the basic compound movements I.e. Bench press, rows, deadlifts, and squats, oh and pull ups. Don't let them intemidate you, they started in the same place as you and I and everyone else here, just be comfortable with what you're doing, don't rush into something head first without understanding it first. Just like they say abs are made in the kitchen, half of true bodybuilding is spent in the books, learn and study your stuff while you slowly experiment. Don't know if this helps but it's the best I got:P
  • Fitnessman168
    Fitnessman168 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It did thanks