I want to loose 15 pounds fast! How do I do it?

2»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Would losing 10 pounds be more realistic?

Not in 2 months. It's quite difficult to lose weight when you're close to your lowest weight. You're better off trying to lose weight .5 lbs per week. If you try to lose 10 lbs. in 2 months you'll lose lean muscle and be more unhealthy that you are now. Try starting a lifting program for body recompostion. You'll be happier making that type of change, and the way you'll look in the dress, than you will starving yourself trying to lose a little bit of body fat.
  • shaekc
    shaekc Posts: 11 Member
    So it's probably better to not concentrate on the digits, huh?
  • shaekc
    What would be the most realist weight losss goal for a 2 month period of time?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    What would be the most realist weight losss goal for a 2 month period of time?

Try for about 2.5 lbs per month. That's a realistic goal.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    So it's probably better to not concentrate on the digits, huh?

Get a body measuring tape and focus on those digits.
  • leelafry
    leelafry Posts: 46 Member
    On the weekend I fill up snack bags with vegies. I also have a variety of low-cal snacks available. When I get the munchies, it's much easier to grab one of these smarter options than to make something that isn't so smart (I have very little, if any, junk food laying around the house). If I buy it I eat it--just don't have much self control. So I don't buy it. I have created an environment where it is easier to eat healthier. When I get the junk food munchies I either have to cook something or go buy it. Just easier to grab something already made (like those vegie snack bags)!
  • shaekc
    Okay, I think I'll go with that.

New Goal:

Lose 5 pounds in 2 months.

What should I do/continue doing to do that?
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    Your active, that's good. You're a healthy weight, that's good. If you just make better food choices and eat just until you're full you won't even need to think about trying to lose weight. I just think your food is what you have to focus on, forget the other numbers.
  • shaekc
    On the weekend I fill up snack bags with vegies. I also have a variety of low-cal snacks available. When I get the munchies, it's much easier to grab one of these smarter options than to make something that isn't so smart (I have very little, if any, junk food laying around the house). If I buy it I eat it--just don't have much self control. So I don't buy it. I have created an environment where it is easier to eat healthier. When I get the junk food munchies I either have to cook something or go buy it. Just easier to grab something already made (like those vegie snack bags)!

Veggie snacks sound good. I'm pretty lazy when comes to food so that's one reason why I make so many bad choices. hahaha What are your other go to low-cal snacks?
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Two weeks before you want to wear your dress low carb. You could lose a lot of water weight and look thinner. Could lose 10 pounds in two weeks even though half of it is probably temporary from carb restriction.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You probably just turned 18. Your metabolism is fine, short of a medical condition. You used to be able to eat more, because you were still growing... in fact, you probably still are growing. At this point, you should have a very small deficit and concentrate on fat loss and muscle retention. You should be weight training 3-4 days a week (either full body routines or splits to start [lower/upper days]) and some cardio/yoga. The issue you will probably has is body composition issues. Getting to a lower weight isn't always the beneficial thing to do either. Sometimes, people cut calories a lot to get to a weight fast thinking it will solve their problems... and guess what, it doesn't. When you do dramatic cuts it also leads to an increased amount of lean body mass loss. LBM (all things not fat) is what determines your metabolic rate, your leanness and many other functions. What I am getting at, even if you hit your weight goal you may not be happy. For now, set a low deficit (20% less than TDEE preferably) and eat foods higher in proteins and fats. For your an estimate calorie amount should be around 1800 calories and macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. This will allow you to hit 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

On a side note, at some point, if you are not happy with your body, you might need to do a few bulk/cut phases to add muscle. Believe it or not, it makes you more lean. Reference the blog below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    That's all going to change! I'm going to nip this in the butt. I've started an evercise program at my school and am trying to eat healthier and less.

I want to loose weight fast, but not so fast it's unhealthy.
    Glad you're trying to be healthy. Best wishes!

I don't think there is any way to lose 15 lbs - over 10% of your current weight - in 2 months in a healthy way. And trying to lose too quickly just sets you up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting where you lose quickly and gain even more just as quickly.

Exercising -- not just in formal programs, but by walking and moving more -- is a great start. However, keep in mind that it's almost impossible to out-exercise a poor diet. It's pretty easy to eat 500 calories in a few minutes and hard to exercise 500 calories in an hour.

The good news is that at your size, it won't take much of a weight loss combined with being in better shape to look and feel better. So while it's extremely unlikely that you can find a healthy way to lose that much weight before graduation, it is likely that you can look and feel better.

Oh, and for other suggestions to get you started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I think (like most) you just have to clean up your food so you can create a caloric deficit. Mostly because you are eating a lot of junk food. I think it makes it harder to maintain a caloric deficit with junk food. Some people can do it fine.
    Dont be in a rush because usually if you deprive yourself too much you end up binging.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I agree with a lot of what psulemon said, especially regarding your metabolism. You're still growing; even if you're not getting taller you are developing into a woman, and that means a bit more weight than when you were a girl (what you're looking at as a metabolism change is really more likely just those hormones telling your body where to distribute that weight.

That said, I would concentrate on making healthy habits right now. Focus on eating mostly nutrient dense foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, some dairy) and eating an amount that is appropriate for you. Learn to enjoy exercise, whether it's running, swimming, playing a sport, or something else. Also learn to lift - besides helping you achieve a lower body fat %, it's a really good way to maintain bone density as you age. Learn to enjoy treats in moderation. All these habits will help you maintain a healthy weight and a healthy relationship with food.

Also remember that you are not defined by the scale, measuring tape, or size label on your clothes. Love yourself, no matter what. It's great to want to be healthy and look great, but don't tie your self esteem to it :wink:
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    The single biggest change for me that has helped the best has been portion control. Get a set of measuring spoons and cups, and USE them. Boy was I floored when I discovered that what I thought were "healthy" portions were often more like for 3 or 4 people! Yikes! Pay attention to what labels say is a 'serving' as well. As an example, some cereals say a serving is one cup, but others only 3/4 of a cup. Combine that with the fact that I had NO idea how to eyeball how much a cup actually was, well, let's say now I've learned a few things!

For eating out, most chains have nutrition info out there (and a lot of it is right here on MFP!) and that has also helped me a lot with making choices. Start paying attention to your portions, you will be amazed.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    The single biggest change for me that has helped the best has been portion control. Get a set of measuring spoons and cups, and USE them. Boy was I floored when I discovered that what I thought were "healthy" portions were often more like for 3 or 4 people! Yikes! Pay attention to what labels say is a 'serving' as well. As an example, some cereals say a serving is one cup, but others only 3/4 of a cup. Combine that with the fact that I had NO idea how to eyeball how much a cup actually was, well, let's say now I've learned a few things!

For eating out, most chains have nutrition info out there (and a lot of it is right here on MFP!) and that has also helped me a lot with making choices. Start paying attention to your portions, you will be amazed.

Now that you've been shocked by how far off the "eyeball it" method was - be prepared to be floored when you watch this video showing how far off measuring cups and spoons are.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member

Veggie snacks sound good. I'm pretty lazy when comes to food so that's one reason why I make so many bad choices. hahaha What are your other go to low-cal snacks?

Fat free, no sugar added Greek yogurt - yummy, about 8g protein
    Little cans of flavoured tuna by Cloverleaf - protein
    20g plain unsalted almonds
    Grilled chicken breast strips - found in the deli section of the supermarket. Use salsa as a dip (or a salad dressing in small amounts)

Protein will have keep you feeling full and you will need it to help you build muscle!
    Other ideas?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    You just turned 18. You're still growing, and you are at a healthy weight. Just focus on exercise you like and learn how not to lose control around food. That usually means learning about portion control (in other words, not two or three brownies, but one).

I have a feeling you'll look just fine in your graduation outfit and your summer outfits.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Everything that has needed to be said about crash dieting and unhealthy goals has been said, also rate of loss has been mentioned.

Now here are the tools to lose weight effectively and healthily on mfp.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    I'm not a beach body coach but I lost most of my weight with insanity. Lost 14lbs in 60 days :)