Increasing Calories But Still Losing Weight

Options

Replies

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So should I just eat at maintenance for my whole week and not even plan at all that I will overeat on weekends? That is the big stickling point for me. I'd like to have extra calories to work with on the weekend in case I do go out in the evening.
  • dpr73
    Options

Also, I assume you're weighing and measuring everything you eat.

No, it is all estimates, which makes the obsessing over the little details even more ludicrous.

Also, I NEVER said that I estimate everything. I said I estimate my evening meal while measuring everything else. This past weekend I didn't log my dinner on Saturday because I just assumed I would be overeating. However, the next day I logged and I definitely under ate by a lot (due to the traveling). But I am measuring out everything that can be measured during the entire day leading up to dinner.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

No, it is all estimates, which makes the obsessing over the little details even more ludicrous.

Also, I NEVER said that I estimate everything. I said I estimate my evening meal while measuring everything else. This past weekend I didn't log my dinner on Saturday because I just assumed I would be overeating. However, the next day I logged and I definitely under ate by a lot (due to the traveling). But I am measuring out everything that can be measured during the entire day leading up to dinner.

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    So should I just eat at maintenance for my whole week and not even plan at all that I will overeat on weekends? That is the big stickling point for me. I'd like to have extra calories to work with on the weekend in case I do go out in the evening.

Yes, you can cross that bridge if and when you come to it :)

Having those extra calories is giving you the problem that you're asking about so why not try another way?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I strongly suggest that you log accurately even when you're going over. There are some interesting things you can do with a sufficiently large set of good data on weight and calories in/out. One of those things is determining a fairly solid estimate of your TDEE which can be really handy for all kinds of things...such as staying around maintenance, for example.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Okay. What I will do is try to get a full week in again eating at 1800 calories and see if I drop at all. If I do, then I will increase about 200 calories next week.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Okay. What I will do is try to get a full week in again eating at 1800 calories and see if I drop at all. If I do, then I will increase about 200 calories next week.

I predict you will still lose weight on 1800 cals.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I call it 1800 calories but in reality it is probably more because I am forced to estimate my calories at dinner due to not having a measuring cup for veggies and starch. When I refer to "1800", I am saying the same meal plan/intake that I have since last week. I will really try to look at my trend so I know for sure how much I should be eating.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Try entering your stats here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This is the calculator that's been the most accurate for me. I'm maintaining at 2600, and I'm a 45 year old woman. You need more calories than your currently eating.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Try entering your stats here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This is the calculator that's been the most accurate for me. I'm maintaining at 2600, and I'm a 45 year old woman. You need more calories than your currently eating.

I will try that but honestly I can't see how 1800 is too low. Is it possible to just have a really slow metabolism? It doesn't seem like the math would work out for me to be eating at 2600+ but I could be wrong.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    start measuring, after a while ur body tends to get use to calories/maintain/etc especially if u have increased ur metabolic capacity.
    for e.g. i eat almost double of what i use to this time round at 52kg then what i did last time i weighed 52.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Here's a little food for thought: What you are experiencing transitioning to maintenance is very normal for a lot of people. You have just worked your butt off to achieve a goal and now you are there...now what? You know you can't just keep going, because then you are headed in the opposite direction. But you are going to miss that satisfaction you get by putting in the hard work and seeing results. Missing this is what people are often afraid of. Now is a good time to try shifting your mindset and set some goals related to fitness rather than weight loss. You can take up running (and if you do, make sure you eat enough!) and work towards getting faster or building endurance. You can try strength training and set your goals around that. There are many things you can do now that don't have to revolve around weight loss. And the nice thing is, if you focus your efforts in this direction, the maintenance will fall in line.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Here's a little food for thought: What you are experiencing transitioning to maintenance is very normal for a lot of people. You have just worked your butt off to achieve a goal and now you are there...now what? You know you can't just keep going, because then you are headed in the opposite direction. But you are going to miss that satisfaction you get by putting in the hard work and seeing results. Missing this is what people are often afraid of. Now is a good time to try shifting your mindset and set some goals related to fitness rather than weight loss. You can take up running (and if you do, make sure you eat enough!) and work towards getting faster or building endurance. You can try strength training and set your goals around that. There are many things you can do now that don't have to revolve around weight loss. And the nice thing is, if you focus your efforts in this direction, the maintenance will fall in line.

I just want to maintain, but I don't want to increase calories and gain weight. I just don't know where I should start. I am guessing paying attention to this week really closely and then increasing from there might be the way to go. But honestly I just don't know where I should start with maintenance.
    I am focusing on working out with weights in the gym. I don't want to gain weight at the moment, but I am trying to recomp right now.
  • dpr73
    Options
    So with all the suggestions, the consensus is that I increase calories over the course of my week. Does any one have a recommended amount that I should shoot for for the rest of this week?
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Increasing calorie intake is not the only option for that. You must gain some good ratio of muscle weight to maintain weight. Drink good amount of water. Also, saturated fat is good for body. It also helps maintain weight.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So with all the suggestions, the consensus is that I increase calories over the course of my week. Does any one have a recommended amount that I should shoot for for the rest of this week?

The problem here is you don't have any idea what your TDEE is. Have you used an online calculator to estimate TDEE? I would start there. If it is a lot higher than what you have been eating then add just a couple of hundred calories per week until you get up to the TDEE level. I'm guessing that it is a lot higher, since you are a young, active male, and you said you need to go UP to get to 1800. I'm a much older and less active woman and I eat 1800 to lose weight, your TDEE should be well over 2000 calories as a young man.
  • dpr73
    Options

The problem here is you don't have any idea what your TDEE is. Have you used an online calculator to estimate TDEE? I would start there. If it is a lot higher than what you have been eating then add just a couple of hundred calories per week until you get up to the TDEE level. I'm guessing that it is a lot higher, since you are a young, active male, and you said you need to go UP to get to 1800. I'm a much older and less active woman and I eat 1800 to lose weight, your TDEE should be well over 2000 calories as a young man.

All TDEE Calculators put me at around 2300-2500 calories. But the weird thing is, I have only been losing 1-1.5lbs a week eating around 1800 calories so I don't really get how the math is working out to put me at 2300...I seem to be lower right?
  • deksgrl
    Options

All TDEE Calculators put me at around 2300-2500 calories. But the weird thing is, I have only been losing 1-1.5lbs a week eating around 1800 calories so I don't really get how the math is working out to put me at 2300...I seem to be lower right?

The math is perfect for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. 2300-500 = 1800. 2500-750=1750. So there you go, eat 2300 to 2500 and you will maintain your weight.
  • dpr73
    Options

The math is perfect for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. 2300-500 = 1800. 2500-750=1750. So there you go, eat 2300 to 2500 and you will maintain your weight.

Okay. So maybe all this time I have been eyeballing my portions at dinner accurately and didn't even know it! I will add in 100 calories at breakfast and lunch this week and then evaluate. I will add in 300 more calories next week if I see any drops on the scale.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I just increased calories today: added 120 to my breakfast, 100 to my lunch, and had an extra grilled piece of chicken to my dinner; therefore, I had two pieces of grilled marinated chicken, a cup or so of string beans, and a half cup of brown rice. Do you think this was too much or about right?