fresh spinach

Options
2»

Replies

• EveyRose
    EveyRose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this ? I think cooked spinach is yucky as well, just can not eat most green veggies once they are cooked tha tcome from that style of veggies..I eat peas green beans cooked but tha tis abut it...lots of great ideas here for me tto folks...thank you...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am on a low fat, low sodium diet due to health issues and I'm still trying to discover new recipes. I have found baby spinach lately and eat it as a salad with different other ingredients. Now I'm looking for other great ideas what to do with the spinach, as I usually buy a big box and would like to incorporate it in more dishes than just salads. I also had once or twice an omelet already, but that does not use a lot of spinach... In my life before low fat/low sodium I would eat creamed spinach, but that is out of question now. Just "cooked" spinach is yucky in my opinion. So, how do you use spinach?

Can you say what health issues have you on low fat because maybe we can recommend the right fats as everyone needs some.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am on a low fat, low sodium diet due to health issues and I'm still trying to discover new recipes. I have found baby spinach lately and eat it as a salad with different other ingredients. Now I'm looking for other great ideas what to do with the spinach, as I usually buy a big box and would like to incorporate it in more dishes than just salads. I also had once or twice an omelet already, but that does not use a lot of spinach... In my life before low fat/low sodium I would eat creamed spinach, but that is out of question now. Just "cooked" spinach is yucky in my opinion. So, how do you use spinach?

Can you say what health issues have you on low fat because maybe we can recommend the right fats as everyone needs some.

I am on a cardiac diet for heart reasons. I should have only 7% of my calorie intake in saturated fats. So I use cheese in moderation and then only the low fat versions. I'm getting pretty good at using olive oil in many recipes etc. So the spinach comes in for the "Increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes to replace foods high in fat". As I look more at the nutrients now, spinach was also a try to up my iron intake a bit as that is always extremely low.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Chop it up and throw it on pizza (the healthiest pizza you can find which usually means starting with the crust and building your own), chop it up and scramble it in your eggs along with some onion, bell pepper, mushroom, etc... . Cook it by itself in a saute pan with a little olive oil and onion for a nice warm side dish. Have it on sandwiches. Chop it up and put it in the pasta. Chop it up and sprinkle it all over a baked potato or baked sweet potato. Green is good. Spinach is good.

I've learned in the past few months I am much better off washing my spinach no matter how many times the package says it has already been washed...
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    One of my favorites is to put it in a frittata. Mix eggs with baby spinach, 2% cheese, any other favorite vegetables (I love mushrooms), canadian bacon (or ham, turkey or bacon), salt, pepper, etc. Spray nonstick skillet. Add egg mixture. Let set for a couple minutes. Finish in the oven. Slice and serve.

Yum!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I use spinach, bell peppers, asparagus, broccoli, whatever vegetables I can find in egg fritatas. I use Egg Beaters (about 120 grams = 60 calories, 0 fat) a touch of mustard, one ounce of cheese (both are optional if you can't tolerate the fat/sodium, whatever) with the vegetables.

If you use the microwave, throw everything together and stir it up, microwave for about 3-4 minutes until solid.

If you use a conventional oven, mix everything together in a baking dish and bake for about 15-20 mins until solid.

You can use low fat cheese if necessary.

Awesome for breakfast but also makes a pretty good dinner. I also throw in some soy sausage, or you can use low-fat turkey sausage, etc. Fritattas are pretty adaptable.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love to cook it up with garlic, thyme and cumin and add raisins and feta cheese and chick peas. I can eat a big bowl of it for dinner.

I think the recipe is sort of like this but I usually throw in a bit of feta at the end and let it melt.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spinach_with_chickpeas.html
  • Ashley_marley
    Options
    Spinach is awesome and really tasty when prepared the right way....I prefer it steamed with other vegetables. Smoothies sound gross but actually its a great way to get the most nutrients out of your veggies.. I found this http://shedpounds.com/articles/2013-10-21/spinach it was really useful.:drinker:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Sauteed spinach is great. I will put about 1 tsp of oil, then about 1tbs of Sriracha Chili Garlic (the paste, not the sauce) ... let that work together for about 1 minute, then throw an entire 7oz pack of spinach in. toss it a bit to get some of the hot oil on top, and it will all wilt down in about 2-3 minutes. The entire box, once cooked down would barely cover a dessert plate.
  • Jenn_Lyn1102
    Jenn_Lyn1102 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try spinach chips, just like kale chips, but spinach instead. I love them!!

http://www.hungrycouplenyc.com/2013/09/baked-spinach-chips.html
  • mof4apmj
    mof4apmj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like you I don't like cooked spinach, I'd rather have it as a salad or thrown into something else I'm making. I've recently started freezing some that I've already chopped so that when I'm ready I can toss it into or on whatever I like. I like to add some to smoothies is why I started freezing it. I wouldn't try and thaw it to eat it, however I haven't tried that.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Adding chopped spinach to just about any type of cassarole is great.... you get the nutrients, without the taste if you're not a spinach fan, it's how I hide it from the kids :wink:

I love it in lasagna as an additional layer as well.

A new favorite, penne pasta with steamed asparagus, grape tomato's, steamed broccoli, chopped spinach and either chicken or steak with a little EVOO and balsamic vinagrette. It's great heated or cold.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it on a sandwich wrap. You can use low-fat dressings like hot sauce or mustard, then just add some lean meat, tomatoes, onion, whatever you like and big handful of spinach.

It's good added to soups, stews or sauces. Add while it's hot, but not still cooking, or just before eating. This will wilt the spinach without it getting slimy or disappearing.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sauteed spinach with some combination of broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, peppers, asparagus and/or onions (though not so much peppers and onions now that I'm doing lchf) with lean protein is great. Before I did lchf I would scoop 1/2c fire roasted tomatoes in there at the end for the "sauce." I eat it in my omelette every morning with sauteed mushrooms as well.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So many ideas ???? I see lots of spinach in our diet in the future! Thanks!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've been throwing about a cup of fresh spinach into my berry smoothies and I can't tell it's there AT ALL. :) It's a sneaky way to get some green in for breakfast. :)

I've been wanting to ask whether people use fresh or frozen or something else spinach in smoothies. Thanks for this info!
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sautéed spinach with lump crab meat and redfish is amazing!!

I also almost daily use it in a green smoothie to start the day off. I do several handfuls of baby spinach with some mp orange creamsicle protein powder, almond milk, Greek yogurt and granola....its around 600 cals with 75g of protein!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I've been throwing about a cup of fresh spinach into my berry smoothies and I can't tell it's there AT ALL. :) It's a sneaky way to get some green in for breakfast. :)

I have been doing spinach smoothies for the last few days, can't even taste it! I add frozen peaches, an orange, vanilla, Splenda, a bit of milk...tastes fine.

I like spinach in stir fry, or lightly stir fried with garlic. And shredded, mixed with shredded carrots, cilantro, wrap.