So is there anyway to squat without getting huge *** thighs?

Options
So...I just feel like my thighs are getting huge from doing squats. I am short so this is not really the look I'm going for. Is this just what happens or is it just me?

Replies

• jewdaism
    jewdaism Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How many reps with what weight?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What does the tape measure say?
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I guess some muscle development/hypertrophy of the quads is expected from squats. It's a compound exercise, not isolation, so it should be working all your lower body muscles. When squatting, the primary muscle group being worked is the quads (those thighs) and the secondary muscle groups are the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back.
    If you fear getting big quads from squats, I'd reduce the weight, add more reps, and consider alternating squats with other compound lower body exercises that primarily activate the other leg muscles and only activate the quads secondarily. Perhaps some MFP weightlifters can help us out with suggestions for complete lower body moves where quads are secondary, not primary. Hope that helps...
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ~bump for replies~
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you're in a calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about getting huge anything. I've been doing heavy squats for a year and my thighs are still the same circumference, but the fat/muscle ratio is different. They look healthier and firmer than before too.

I'm 5'1" so I'm pretty short too
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You can't gain mass while in a calorie deficit. If you feel like your thighs are getting bigger it's your muscles retaining water. Once you lose the layer of fat over them they won't be huge *kitten* thighs anymore.
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was really worried about this also because I ended up gaining two inches in my thigh but I have good news keep going it'll eventually go down and get smaller mine did
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Op I wish I had your genetics to gain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Lol it's just in your head. The muscles are holding more glycogen but if anything you're replacing a lot of the fat mass with muscle so you should just keep squatting.

Ryan Gosling would want you to.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have you measured before and after? How long did it take for them to get "huge"? Are you eating at a calorie surplus?

I'm guessing what you are experiencing is swelling and water retention. Women just don't gain muscle that quickly.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So...I just feel like my thighs are getting huge from doing squats. I am short so this is not really the look I'm going for. Is this just what happens or is it just me?

Your thighs look fine. You're not gaining size while at a calorie deficit. Stop being a girl ;)
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Op I wish I had your genetics to gain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Lol it's just in your head. The muscles are holding more glycogen but if anything you're replacing a lot of the fat mass with muscle so you should just keep squatting.

yes this exactly my hubby described it to me like this your muscle under the chub is getting slightly toned and its pushing on the chub when your consistently working out but for your legs to go down you have to lose fat all over and in the end everything will be leaner
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    8 months of leg days and I've lost an inch on my legs.

LOTR_Fell086_ElijahWood.jpg
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    8 months of leg days and I've lost an inch on my legs.

LOTR_Fell086_ElijahWood.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy this.
  • addictedtosweat
    Options
    My icon pic does not give this question justice lol. Thanks for your replies all. Glad this isn't just happening to me and now I know what to expect. I have only been lifting for about 4 months so far.
  • addictedtosweat
    Options
    Have you measured before and after? How long did it take for them to get "huge"? Are you eating at a calorie surplus?

I'm guessing what you are experiencing is swelling and water retention. Women just don't gain muscle that quickly.

I have not measured my before and after so I don't know for sure :S but I know I have def. gotten bigger. I don't fit in my old jeans. I even ripped a pair the other day when I bent down. Seriously.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^

I LOL at the Ryan Gosling part.....
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,312 Member
    Options
    What does the tape measure say?
    I totally read that as "What does the fox say?" :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Details on sets, reps and calorie deficit? And why aren't you using a tape measure?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I must be doing it wrong since squats gave me a nice @$$ and took an inch off my thighs. I've progressively increased my weight from just the bar to a max of over 200 pounds in about 5 reps per set. Hmmm...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Focus on the back of your legs, which will add the appearance of length, while if you focus on the front of your legs - it adds weight and curve.