abs are made in the kitchen

Options

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    it seems alot of people have had success by eating some snacks and occasionaly have cheat meals/days when life calls for it. i used to have the mentality that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. then i started wanting to train for a figure comp and this trainer has got me thinking the only way to get that lean, muscular apperance is to be super strict with cals/macros but that (for me) is not sustainable. i want to enjoy life. i have no issues eating healthy and i enjoy creating healthier reciepe options, but occasionaly i want to go out to dinner, or have ice cream with my kids, or order in pizza and i want to be ok with that and still reach my goals.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When people say "abs are made in the kitchen" I understand that getting abs is mainly about what you eat (macros, consistent deficit, and such). However, every time people say this, they include at the end that you should lift heavy 3-4x a week. Is it possible to get abs just by tuning in your diet and not lifting?

1. Eat at a deficit and don't lift = no muscle development but no fat over what scrawny muscle tissue there is. BMI will be on the low side and may end up being "fat-skinny"

2. Lift but eat at a surplus = Plenty of muscle that you cannot see because there is fat on the outside hiding it all (assuming that it is not a high protein/carb combination designed to increase muscle mass.

3. Lift heavy and eat at a deficit (with focus on protein/carbs) = develop muscle tissue and remove the fat covering over the muscle tissue to showcase what muscle tissue you have developed.

In short, you eat at a deficit and don't lift, you will get skinnier but you have no muscle to show for it... If you want muscle... You have to work it... but can't cover it up with a layer of fat if you want to show it.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    it seems alot of people have had success by eating some snacks and occasionaly have cheat meals/days when life calls for it. i used to have the mentality that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. then i started wanting to train for a figure comp and this trainer has got me thinking the only way to get that lean, muscular apperance is to be super strict with cals/macros but that (for me) is not sustainable. i want to enjoy life. i have no issues eating healthy and i enjoy creating healthier reciepe options, but occasionaly i want to go out to dinner, or have ice cream with my kids, or order in pizza and i want to be ok with that and still reach my goals.

Training for a fitness competition is different. You will need to be super strict with your diet for that.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Your trainer is right, eat clean and get lean to see those abs!!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That is true. The ab muscles don't get as big as your biceps or pecs so any minuscale fat can cover up that definition in your abs. Even some excess water eight can cover it up.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have defined abs. The pic in my profile was taken in March of this year. My abs are better today. I think when people say "abs are made in the kitchen" it means to eat healthy and clean, no junk food.

I eat around 140 -150 gr protein a day and part of that protein comes from dairy and cheese. I also eat about 190 gr of carbs and it comes from fruits, I eat bread (in moderation), I have ice cream once in awhile and cocktails and wine weekly.
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd say listen to the guy you are paying for fitness advice. You know that guy who's in really good shape that you trusted to train you for a fitness competition? Your trainer works with you on a personal level, trust him over a bunch of random people you have never met on a fitness forum.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options

Training for a fitness competition is different. You will need to be super strict with your diet for that.

i know training for a fitness comp is different and you need to be more strict but the comp is a year away and the trainer is saying i need to eat like this ALL the time. not just the 12 weeks or so before competiton.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options

i dont mind eating clean most of the time. i enjoy healthy foods but i would like to be able to indulge occasionally and have healthier versions of other things weekly. is that not possible?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

i know training for a fitness comp is different and you need to be more strict but the comp is a year away and the trainer is saying i need to eat like this ALL the time. not just the 12 weeks or so before competiton.

Didn't know when the competition was.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options

i dont mind eating clean most of the time. i enjoy healthy foods but i would like to be able to indulge occasionally and have healthier versions of other things weekly. is that not possible?

yea, maybe competition isn't the thing for you.....just sayin' :)
  • Jessicaruby
    Options

Didn't know when the competition was.

so is eating like this necessary ALL the time? or just closer to comp time. never having treats or indulging EVER seems crazy!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    IMO, *washboard* abs may be made in the kitchen, but a flat stomach can be achieved with ab/core focused workouts and a moderate (not deprivation) diet. I had a round belly most of my life, even when I was at my thinnest (108 - 112 lbs). But I have changed the shape of my stomach through core-focused exercise and a moderate diet. My belly is the flattest it has ever been in my life and I'm a 50-something grandmother. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think you need to experiment a little. As you've seen from posts - everyone is different. Some people have to cut out a lot to get a 6 pack. Others can eat anything and everything and have washboard abs. Obviously, you are not one of those people. :)

Personally, I have eaten fairly clean for the past 2 years - no sodas, no fried food, very little processed food, etc. But I did have the occassional white carbs (mostly white rice and flour tortillas now and then) and I was a definite sugar addict. I worked it into my daily calorie intake but my middle didn't budge, even with tons of training. I decided to "test the waters" in March and just do a trial to see if going 100% clean would help. Lo and behold, 3 months later I have a solid 4 pack. So it did work for me.

The biggest tip I can give you is not to go "cold turkey". Find subs of stuff you like instead that work with your diet - you might be surprised to find new favorites that fit within your trainer's guidelines. Experiment, ask for recipes on training websites (the cinnamon swirl protein bread recipe is awesome), see what others have tried and recommend. If you don't like it, don't eat it. But those cravings for "bad" food WILL go away. I can't even look at stuff like fries and pizza now, it's nasty. But I do crave a pear, pecan and spinach quinoa salad regularly. :)
  • jessiejml
    jessiejml Posts: 2
    Options
    am wanting to go "clean" w/ my diet too, any advice is welcomed
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Creating a deficit in order to drop bodyfat can be done with both "clean" or "unclean" foods however you want to define those terms

This.
  • Nininina24
    Options
    I know this is an old post but, did you cut out stevia as well when you cut out sugar? and fruits? very curious!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Only time I had amazing abs was when I was super lean and basically starving.
    I'm much fitter now with a much stronger core but the abs are covered with a sheen of fat :laugh:
    I decided ultimately that it wasn't worth the hassle and deprivation. I'm never going to be a fitness model and I wear a bikini maybe once a year max.
    Having abs is completely useless for my career or daily life - almost no-one except me saw them. Some people can cope with a very restricted diet for a specific goal. For me, life's too short and other things are more important.
    PS I hear that many fitness models etc don't necessarily have tip-top abs all the time and only 'clean' up the diet close to times when they have shoots, competitions etc.
  • gossipkween
    gossipkween Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump!