Is 1200 Calories That Bad? I feel Satisfied?

Options
Hello, I know there is a lot of talk around 1200 calories, Is it enough? So on
I am 5'11 1/2, 18 year old female, with 100pounds to lose. This is my old profile so the stats aren't updated. I started my WLJ on Jan 26 this year and have since lost 10 kgs about 20 pounds. I have done this by eating 1200 calories on most days, working out 5 days a week. I have no problem whatsoever with hunger by eating 1200 calories, I eat a big breakfast that keeps me going till a small lunch, then dinner. I usually eat back 1/2 or more of my exercise calories back. I feel full and make sure I get enough protein and also I take a Shake called Reliv that supplements you with every single vitamin and mineral.

Is 1200 that bad I mean, I feel great. On the weekends i will go over a bit. I have been losing 1kg a week consistently.

Thank you

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The fact you've asked the question means you know the answer. As someone who is 5 ft 11" If your happy to lose muscle mass and cause possible long term health problems carry on.
  • mariejoy1995
    mariejoy1995 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not loosing muscle mass, I do strength training like crazy, Eat a well balanced diet which has all nutrients in it. In fact I am toning and building muscle well. I was just asking your opinions?
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the bare minimum a female should consume. So if you want to eat at a deficit… you need to eat more calories.Trust me I know the struggle most days I struggle to reach my calorie goal.
  • mariejoy1995
    Options
    Bump
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you eat that low for that long you slow down your metabolism. Sure you aren't hungry, but the burn isn't great either.

I only realized when I ate one day at 3000 calories and then my next day at 1200. I was starving when normally I wasn't.

So just not being hungry isn't a sign that you are eating enough.

Eat more.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and eating 1500-1600 calories and exercising...I am losing 0.5 kg (1lb steady every week) why the hurry if you can enjoy food and still be able to lose weight?

As you can see I lost 17 kg ( 38 lbs) I lost the first 10 kg by eating 1200 calories and lost them in 2 months BUT after 2 weeks of eating normally (1600-1700 which is my maintenance) I gained back 4 kg !! in 2 weeks!! because my metabolism slowed down.

So I lost the 7 other kg by eating 1600 calories (mostly more on sunday) and still lost weight and it took me 3 months so GREAT! But I do fast some days of the week when i eat so much the day before.

For weightloss 1200 is great but what would you do after you hit your goal? How will you maintain after that? Trust me you won't be able to eat normally.

Next week I will be having surgery and I will be lying down in bed for 2 weeks (not allowed to move except to the bathroom) so that is the ONLY REASON for me to consider eating 1200 calories in those 2 weeks.

It is your choice though so good luck :)
  • mariejoy1995
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies.

I will be eating like this forever, so I am not worried about when I hit my goal. I will eat a few more calories and workout less.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I am not loosing muscle mass, I do strength training like crazy, Eat a well balanced diet which has all nutrients in it. In fact I am toning and building muscle well. I was just asking your opinions?
    skeptical-cat.jpeg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

the person you replied to was just giving their opinion....

strength training won't stop loss of lean mass if your deficit is too big. Eating the most nutritious foods that exist isn't going to stop loss of lean mass if your calorie deficit is too big. And you're not building muscle if you're eating at deficit. You can get stronger without building any new muscle tissue, in fact most strength gains in beginners are from neuromuscular adaptation, not from any new muscle tissue, so the fact you're progressing in terms of how much you can lift does not mean you're building muscle and it doesn't mean you're not in danger of losing muscle and it doesn't mean you're not undereating.

your appetite isn't always a reliable indicator of whether you're eating enough or not. People can be undereating and not hungry.

But the main thing I want to know is why so many people want so much to be eating just 1200 calories a day. I mean what's so great about it, compared to, say, eating 1700 calories a day? At your height, weight and activity levels, you can eat a lot more than 1200 calories a day and still lose weight. My question is why you don't want to do that.