Why do so many women lift such light weights?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OK I'm sorry but if you're on a weight loss journey the best thing you can do is lift weights... so...

Oh, and this was for the lady who said that people don't want to or need to.

Apparently my original post did not contain this quote I intended it to. This is what I was replying to and all the muscle heads jumped all over me.........

whoooohoooo I HAVE REACHED MUSCLE HEAD STATUS!!!!!!

FU*K YES!!!! NSV FOR ME!!!!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Because they aren't familiar with things that weigh more than a frying pan.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

conan_thumb.gif
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and open up a copy of SHAPE or Fitness Magazine. That's why women lift tiny weights.

It's true. I am always on the lookout for new exercises to throw into circuits or just for some variety, and looking at those sites is usually a complete waste of time--the majority of my female,clients are aged 55-70, overweight, with little experience lifting (at the start), and most of the exercises on those sites are a waste of time FOR THEM.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I don't know. I've got a 6 qt All-Clad sauté pan that's almost heavy enough to use for kettlebell swings. :happy:
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Stealing this!

LOL
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Go to the store and open up a copy of SHAPE or Fitness Magazine. That's why women lift tiny weights.

We have a new magazine in Canada for women called STRONG Fitness Magazine. And there is muscle and fitness hers, oxygen, I see one called FitnessRX. Lots of magazines for heavy lifting ladies now.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Stealing this!

LOL

Cant... stop... watching
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    giphy.gif

Stealing this!

LOL

Cant... stop... watching

This cracks me up! lol
  • RecklezzBeauty
    RecklezzBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just curious to hear the reasons..

I've been in the gym on and off for about 3 years. In that amount of time, I've seen very few women actually lifting "heavy" weights. Occasionally, I'll have someone ask me about an exercise I'm doing, or how to do an exercise that targets a certain body part. Inevitably, when I choose a weight for them, without even trying it, I usually hear, "thats too heavy!"

However, I've never once suggested a weight that was actually too heavy. In fact, I tend to recommend lower than what I actually think they can do. Their concern usually turns to wonder when they realized than actually can lift more than 5lbs..

So ladies.. why are so many afraid to lift heavy weights?

(btw, this applies to many of the men I see in the gym also)

I see the same at the gym when i go to the gym, i leg press about 150lbs maybe 40-5- which is 10 reps x5 sets then i do arms at about 75 i started at 30 but i worked my way up and that was 2 weeks in the gym. my friend goes with me and only lifts 30lbs shes afraid to look like the She Hulk LOL!! i KNOW that resistance training helps burn fat after your exercise while your sitting. Of course you dont want to go and do 90lb curl ups because you can hurt yourself but weights arent bad for you LADIES!! I am not a man looking female I just have toned and thinned out my arms with the weights.

Eating right doing cardio and weights leads to a healthier you and firmer and toned you!

LIFT WEIGHTS START AT 20LBS AND WORK YOUR WAY UP!

MORE REPS LESS WEIGHT IS THE KEY FOR FEMALES TO LOSE WEIGHT AND STILL TONE OUT
  • RecklezzBeauty
    RecklezzBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's just fear and inexperience. Most women dont dare go near the free weights with all the beef cake men, and then if they do wander over there they have no idea where to start.

I started lifting 2 months ago and keep a journal that I record all my weights in so I know my progress. But I started light too, because I didnt know my potential.

Be nice to them they dont know better!

That's funny I am the only girl that goes by the grunts lol and does weights Of course not as heavy but i get my *kitten* in there and work them muscles til it burns baby!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OK I'm sorry but if you're on a weight loss journey the best thing you can do is lift weights... so...

Oh, and this was for the lady who said that people don't want to or need to.

Apparently my original post did not contain this quote I intended it to. This is what I was replying to and all the muscle heads jumped all over me.........

whoooohoooo I HAVE REACHED MUSCLE HEAD STATUS!!!!!!

FU*K YES!!!! NSV FOR ME!!!!

Congrats on that...

To the name caller holy crap seriously????

edited to remove my 2nd strike.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

We have a new magazine in Canada for women called STRONG Fitness Magazine. And there is muscle and fitness hers, oxygen, I see one called FitnessRX. Lots of magazines for heavy lifting ladies now.

really I will have to look for that...last time I was at the magazine stand looking for one there wasn't any...untapped market wow...
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

really I will have to look for that...last time I was at the magazine stand looking for one there wasn't any...untapped market wow...

Muscle and Fitness HERS still has a lot of the same light weight, high reps, low fat diet bull**** that SHAPE, Women's Health, Oxygen and Cosmo have.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No, it's not "THE KEY". It's just one good method.

Weight loss only requires a calorie deficit. Building muscle or strength requires resistance. Lifting heavy weights at low reps is one way to create resistance. There are others.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

It's true. I am always on the lookout for new exercises to throw into circuits or just for some variety, and looking at those sites is usually a complete waste of time--the majority of my female,clients are aged 55-70, overweight, with little experience lifting (at the start), and most of the exercises on those sites are a waste of time FOR THEM.

Everyone that has any knowledge of this subject KNOWS that those fitness models bust their humps and sling some heavy iron around.

Basically they show fitness models who have lifted heavy to get their physique doing exercises with itty bitty pink dumbbells.

But really, this is a smart business move, much like Planet Fitness. Cater to the larger percentage of the population.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Weight loss only requires a calorie deficit. Building muscle or strength requires resistance. Lifting heavy weights at low reps is one way to create resistance. There are others.

to stay "toned"- it appears you missed that part.

and no- unless you are doing some significant resistance training-in some fashion or another you are going to lose muscle "tone".

So yes- deficit is how you lose weight- but if you just use a deficit- you are going to lose fat and muscle.
  • bcattoes
    Options

and no- unless you are doing some significant resistance training-in some fashion or another you are going to lose muscle "tone".

So yes- deficit is how you lose weight- but if you just use a deficit- you are going to lose fat and muscle.

That was my point. Resistance training is needed. Heavy lifting is just one type of resistance training.
  • JoRocka
    Options

That was my point. Resistance training is needed. Heavy lifting is just one type of resistance training.

ehhhhhhh- body weight training is still heavy- if you just keep doing the same base move over and over again- you aren't getting stronger or developing muscle- you just can GO longer. you MUST move on to a heavier progression for progressive training- and you are still move forward with the "heavy" part. and it still qualifies as heavy lifting.
  • bcattoes
    Options

ehhhhhhh- body weight training is still heavy- if you just keep doing the same base move over and over again- you aren't getting stronger or developing muscle- you just can GO longer. you MUST move on to a heavier progression for progressive training- and you are still move forward with the "heavy" part. and it still qualifies as heavy lifting.

I wasn't discussing what was required for heavy or progressive resistance training. I was discussing what is required for weight loss and being "toned" for women.

I suppose "toned" is subjective, so how about I just leave it at one does not need to always keep increasing resistance to be fit and healthy.