Paleo and calorie counting! Your results?

Hey friends,

I've been paleo for almost 2 years now, but the last 5 month did gain weight because of excessive eating, I mean A LOT. Now I want to start counting calories. Did anyone have good results with the combination. I will be very happy to see or read your results. Please if you are not paleo, dont start the discussion if it is good or bad. It healed a lot of my problems and I am not turning back to the bread and grains. :)

So? :)
And... how did you do it?
What stats do you have now/did you have?
How long did it take for you?
Did you cut nuts?
What about training? What and how much?
Best tip you can give me?
:)

A big big big big THANKS :)

Hugs :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I don't do paleo...nor will I comment on it as a diet.

All I will say is that if you choose to count calories and stay in a reasonable deficet you will lose weight regardless of the types of foods you eat...as it's not about the type but the quantity...

You don't have to cut nuts and you don't have to exercise...you can exercise but you don't have to.

Best tip eat in a reasonable calorie deficet, set weekly weight loss goal to 1/2lb and eat those calories given by MFP and if you exercise log it and eat back 50-75% of them.
  • Thanks for the answer. But it will be very helpful for me to hear some more paleos :)

P.S. 250 calories a day - is very little because I can undereatimate the eaten calories. 1/2 per week would be too little. 1 Ib or even 2 will keep me motivated... I wasnt always fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Thanks for the answer. But it will be very helpful for me to hear some more paleos :)

P.S. 250 calories a day - is very little because I can undereatimate the eaten calories. 1/2 per week would be too little. 1 Ib or even 2 will keep me motivated... I wasnt always fat.

Feel free to wait for those people to answer but for weight loss it's not about what you eat...it's about how much...regardless of the types of foods...

1/2lb a week is healthy and sustainable and will ensure you don't lose LBM along with fat....

ETA: 10kg of extra weight does not make you fat....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    I eat LFHC, but don't calorie count, however I think the two do go hand in hand.

There are others on this site that use the combination of the two successfully, so I would definitely give it a go.

You can set your macros to whatever you want, the default will be something like 50 C / 30 P / 20 F, so you can switch them around to suit the Paleo diet.

If you're eating a lot of nuts, you could always cut back on them (no need to cut them out though - if you like them)

Good luck.
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    I am doing more LCHF than Paleo right now since I am eating dairy but I have been counting calories and have been losing at a reasonable rate. I have lost 16 pounds since the beginning of the year. I do find that if I eat as many nuts as I want it slows weight loss down for me. Ditto with alcohol. I recently added intermittent fasting a few days a week. Usually this has been pushing my first meal of the day back to 2:00 or 3:00 and occasionally even later. That seems to have sped up the weight loss a bit without being too difficult for me to do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Thanks for the answer. But it will be very helpful for me to hear some more paleos :)

You might want to check out the Groups section as there are a few Paleo groups.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    LFHC - I assume is LOW FAT HIGH CARB??

What sort of things do you eat on a typical day???
  • tennisdude2004

LOL sorry LCHF - should have proof read.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

While I don't actually HAVE a thigh gap, because my hips are pretty narrow, I do find that managing my weight and squats have given my thighs an overall more attractive appearance.
  • tennisdude2004

While I don't actually HAVE a thigh gap, because my hips are pretty narrow, I do find that managing my weight and squats have given my thighs an overall more attractive appearance.

Seems very off topic. Lol:wink:
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    I do Primal rather than Paleo and also restrict carbs. I count calories as well, but mostly to track my carbs and make sure I'm getting the amount of protein I want. For me, that usually breaks down to 15/30-35/50-55 C/P/F. I'm seeing a weight loss of 1.5- 2lbs per week, but only been doing this correctly for a month or so. I've been eating Primal for a lot longer, but recently found out I have a thyroid issue and insulin resistance that made the weight really hard to take off -- I've only been properly medicated for a month or so -- and that's why I restrict carbs (for the insulin resistance).

As for exercise, I lift heavy twice a week (3x5 program), do hill sprints twice a week and walk/hike a lot (18-25 miles per week). I also eat nuts, but I am careful about them as they add up quickly.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I follow the Primal Blueprint and calorie count. It works for me. I cheat more than I should, but I'm still making lots of progress.

My biggest drops are if I can go low-carb for over 4 days straight.

On the 5th, 6th day it starts melting off, but then I have to give in and have beer, chocolate, ice cream etc...

Primal is a good thing to strive for and I cook primal, but I'm not so hard core that I won't do things like a normal person like hit the drive through or visit a normal restaurant at times, as long as it's gluten-free. (I'm allergic.)

Good luck!

I dropped a ton of weight going primal at first without logging at all, but then I plateaued, and decided to calorie count, then found I was indeed eating a ton of calories a day even being primal (not gaining, but plateauing). My hope is to someday go primal with no calorie restricting to maintain a lower weight, but we shall see how it goes.

I'm basically going to do whatever works.

I will say that I feel much better, fuller and sated on Primal sans the calorie restriction, but, at the moment, I need to lose more weight and I've become such a handy Paleo cook that I could practically fatten someone up on it!

:drinker:
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    I started paleo 17 days ago. No dairy, breads, sauces, etc. Fruits every other day. Water and lemon only.

I don't allow myself cheat days.

In those 17 days down 12lbs and 3 inches in my waist. Clothes fit different already. Started p90x hybrid on Tuesday.

Find a system that you can follow and stick to it. Everyone on the site has a different opinion based on what worked for them.

The biggest difference to me is finding a friend to do it with you. I am lucky to have that.