Is "starvation mode" a real thing?

Options
Please don't make fun of me and forgive my ignorance.

I read this guy's post from forever ago, and now I'm genuinely curious. Is this a real thing?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

I also stumbled upon this site, which essentially says the same thing the OP in the other thread said, but in simplified way.
http://www.betterlifeunlimited.com/healthnews/newsletters/issues/myth_of_starvation_mode.aspx

And then there's this, doing some math and stuff for you.
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Also, how does your metabolism work? If it slows down, does it ever improve? Is boosting your metabolism a real thing?!
Has my entire life been a lie?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    starvation mode as it is commonly referred to is a myth.

Your body will not hold onto or create fat from nothing...

Yes if you eat to low calories you metabolism slows down...and will continue to slow down if you continue...and by Low calorie I mean sub 1000 a day...

Yes you can improve you metabolism if you have "slowed" it due to lack of food...you increase intake slowly and exercise.

As for boosting....not this "instant boost" some thing claim but you can increase it as mentioned above.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    This link provides another interesting read…

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    The term starvation mode refers to one taking a huge step into eating minimal amounts of food to what the body needs, the body thus tries to slow down it's own metabolism. That's all really..
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I had to follow a very low calorie diet from my doctor for medical reasons and I was worried that I would damage my metabolism and struggle to continue to lose weight and even maintain my loss.

When I came off the diet I did gain about 5lbs and stay the same weight for a number of weeks (maybe 4) despite being in a calorie defecit (based on my height / weight / age etc). But after 4-5 weeks I started losing again. So I guess the body adapts the best it can to whatever you throw at it.

Having said that, although it was for a medical reason, I wouldn't do very low calorie diets unless absolutely needed. I was miserable and hungry! lol.
  • therealjtc
    therealjtc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's mostly smoke but there is a warning that should be headed.

It is worth noting you body stores fat as an emergency source of energy - if we eat more than we use or can use/process/metabolize, it is stored and this is how people put on fat-weight. If you eat too little your metabolism slows down and this can cause a fat build up as your body becomes less able to process that fat.

Basically, eating too little is bad for you. The worst part is that after eating too little then eating a decent amount your metabolism will still be slow for a while so you will put on weight as your body readapts to the new level of food intake. Dieting is a balancing act between not eating too much and making sure you eat enough for the exercise you do. Just make sure you give yourself enough fuel so your engine doesn't break down :)
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone who answered :)

Edited to add:

The concept of eating way to less = bad for you is simple enough to understand, but I'm an information *kitten* so I insist on trying to understand the "why/how" of everything. I was just really surprised to see starvation mode deemed as a 'myth', since I've been taught about it all my life in pretty much every health class I ever had to sit through.

Thanks again for explaining it a bit better to me everyone!
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What I am really confused about is what is considered a metabolically damaging deficit. I have been told that 5000kj (1200 cals) will damage my metabolism by some, whereas I have seen it recommended by professionals in other places.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What I am really confused about is what is considered a metabolically damaging deficit. I have been told that 5000kj (1200 cals) will damage my metabolism by some, whereas I have seen it recommended by professionals in other places.

I think context is important. One study determined that adipose tissues would supply about 30 calories per day per lb of stored fat, and it is this energy release that has to meet the deficit. So a 1200 cal deficit can be met by over 40 lbs of excess fat - almost any woman over 200 lbs for example. A 125 lb young woman fretting about the last 5 lbs of vanity fat is a different scenario altogether.

Illustrations of what the professionals do include use of 600 - 800 calorie VLCDs in obese subjects (approved UK practice for limited period) which are going to have a deficit of at least 1000 calories. The world record for a longest fast was a man eating nothing for over a year, so his deficit would be at least 1200 (he kept it off for several years afterwards).

I haven't seen a specific dose-dependent relationship that suggests a threshold or even proportionate response - any calorie intake restriction will probably lead to some reduction in energy expenditure but in many cases willpower can outrun this.