Plateau :(

Options
I got a fitbit for Christmas. Starting Jan 2 I logged steps and shortly thereafter began watching calories and nutrition with MyFitnessPal. All was great, I lost around 10 lbs in the first 6 weeks or so. Now - Nada, Zilch, Zippo. I can get that scale to budge.

I joined the YMCA and am meeting with a wellness coach. I do cardio, weights and yoga. Still I am stuck. I am getting discouraged and want to hit the ice cream.

What do you do to get the weight loss happening when you hit a plateau?

By the way, I am 54, 5'2", still weight 157 and want to get to 135.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since the scale moved??? 1 week? 2 weeks? if so it's not a plateau...weight loss is not linear....

But with that being said...if it's been weeks and weeks..ie 2months then it typically means you are at maintenance calories...

with your diary closed it's hard to tell...

Do you weight your food? measure liquids? log consistently and accurately?

Typically a plateau means you are eating at maintenance...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your calories at all since losing the 10lbs? How long have you been doing the workouts at Y? Changed intensity or duration lately? What is your daily calorie goal, and do you meet it? Eat back exercise cals?

Making your diary public would make it easier to offer advice. :smile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I look at the last month of food and exercise logging and look for any trends. I try to be more accurate in my logging and perhaps only eat foods for a while that I can rely on the calorie count (i.e. no local restaurants where I don't know how many calories go into making something). Usually it's about the accuracy of my calorie count.

Also, I don't know how long it's been, but if it hasn't been a month or so of being the same weight, it's not a plateau.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with Steph. 6-8 weeks is a plateau, and you may need to really shake something up to see the scale move. Sometimes that means adding intensity to how you workout, try doing a HIIT workout instead of just steady state cardio, or add more weight to your lifting. You may need to eat more calories...choose foods high in fiber and protein to keep you full, that can sometimes instigate a release of stored body fat. Make sure you are sleeping enough, drinking enough water. Examine your macros, are you getting the majority of your calories from carbs? are they complex or simple?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit for Christmas. Starting Jan 2 I logged steps and shortly thereafter began watching calories and nutrition with MyFitnessPal. All was great, I lost around 10 lbs in the first 6 weeks or so. Now - Nada, Zilch, Zippo. I can get that scale to budge.

I joined the YMCA and am meeting with a wellness coach. I do cardio, weights and yoga. Still I am stuck. I am getting discouraged and want to hit the ice cream.

What do you do to get the weight loss happening when you hit a plateau?

By the way, I am 54, 5'2", still weight 157 and want to get to 135.

There is no such thing as a plateau. This is a made up replacement term for not eating at a calorie deficit. Hit the ice cream all you wish. As long as you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.