Losing Inches Not Pounds

Options
Hi everyone, so I'm confused. Over the past 3 weeks I have gained .5lbs but I have lost around 3 inches. I'm maintaining a 3500-3700 calorie/week deficit so I should be losing about a pound a week. I'm 24, 5'3", 162.5 lbs and my calorie goal is set at 1300 and use a fitbit to monitor my activity, I typically eat back my exercise calories on weekends but not often on weekdays. I've already lost about 26lbs from my highest (15lbs since using MFP) and I remember plateauing at this point before. Any suggestions?

*I don't buy the "starvation mode" myth so please don't tell me to eat more calories. Deficit is deficit.
**I workout hard and eat 80-100g protein a day, so yes I am probably gaining muscle but shouldn't I also be losing weight?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is progress, not a plateau! Inches lost = fat loss, smaller clothes, visible progress!! A lower scale number can mean water weight, fluctuating hormones or any number of things.

Inches lost is way better than pounds lost. Stick with the tape measure, much better gauge of progress. I went six months without my scale changing, but dropped a full size due to lost inches during that time. Don't put so much stock into that scale number - it lies!
  • ktmcnerney
    ktmcnerney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, i'm going through the same thing. I've cut out all pop, and sodium also plays a part in weight loss. Inches is definitely better than pounds:)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches than LBs. I'd rather look like I weigh less, than look like I weigh more...if you get what I'm saying.

It could just be water retention ... inches are a good way to measure when our body's are fluctuating.

Keep it up, if you are at a deficit, the weight will come.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

This is a good thing. The number on the scale doesn't matter so much--and neither does BMI, since it doesn't take into account lean body mass (LBM). According to its scale, I'm borderline overweight lol.

Keep up the good work!
  • bravatava
    Options
    IMO people pay way too much attention on the scale and it can really de-motivate! If you are losing inches you are on the right track! Put away the scale and only weigh yourself once a week ...Inches lost and how clothes fit is the best way to measure your success! You seem to be doing great! And if you truly feel like you are plateauing than change your workout routine to shock your muscles. If you are "eating back" the workout calories on weekends than I would suggest cutting that amount of extra calories in half during this plateau period. Good luck!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's tough to give advice without all the information. Opening your diary might help us to see something you're missing. Otherwise, I'm just going to tell you to use a food scale, drink plenty of water, and hope things move in the right direction.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so I'm confused. Over the past 3 weeks I have gained .5lbs but I have lost around 3 inches. I'm maintaining a 3500-3700 calorie/week deficit so I should be losing about a pound a week. I'm 24, 5'3", 162.5 lbs and my calorie goal is set at 1300 and use a fitbit to monitor my activity, I typically eat back my exercise calories on weekends but not often on weekdays. I've already lost about 26lbs from my highest (15lbs since using MFP) and I remember plateauing at this point before. Any suggestions?

*I don't buy the "starvation mode" myth so please don't tell me to eat more calories. Deficit is deficit.
    **I workout hard and eat 80-100g protein a day, so yes I am probably gaining muscle but shouldn't I also be losing weight?
    1. Losing inches is great and shows NSV (Non-scale victory).

2. If you don't buy the starvation mode myth that myfitnesspal advertises there is nothing many people here could give you advice on because you shut the door before it could be opened.

3. With a private diary /who knows what you are really doing to yourself

Bravo on losing 15 lbs so far but cmmon things that are thrown around is don't go below 1200 calories, exercise and eat often. Bottom line, you do what you want to do or you open up and see other points of view (calorie deficit vs starvation mode). Or simply do your thing privately because most of the starvation mode responses will be overlooked anyway.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

DON'T CHANGE A THING. BE PATIENT.

Though, you may want to double check the "stride length" that FitBit is using for you. What's your AVERAGE weightloss since you've been eating at -3500/week?
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You are losing fat. The scale just isn't reflecting it yet, which can be due to plenty of things - normal daily fluctuations, a bit of water retention, slight higher sodium intake, hormonal shifts, need to evacuate your bowels. . .

You have measurable progress, literally. That is all you need worry about.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is a victory in my book! :-)
  • grumpyldo
    grumpyldo Posts: 21
    Options
    Be happy with it!! I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks, but went to a smaller belt loop this morning, so was happy!!
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

If working hard is a daily thing, you're body/muscles are retaining water to help repair the normal damage that is done by exercising. I bet if you didn't go to the gym for 2-3 days, you'd see a 3-4 pound drop in weight.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am on a plateau now too (10 days no movement on scale). It is so frustrating, I get it. I hate the following advice but I think it is accurate. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I know if I eat any less I will not be able to doing my Crossfit workout or my running. I need the fuel... And I am 44 lbs down from my heaviest so my body just doesnt want to lose like it did before.

If the scale hasnt moved in the next 10 days I will reevaluate.. But I am trying my hardest to be patient!.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am on a plateau now too (10 days no movement on scale). It is so frustrating, I get it. I hate the following advice but I think it is accurate. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I know if I eat any less I will not be able to doing my Crossfit workout or my running. I need the fuel... And I am 44 lbs down from my heaviest so my body just doesnt want to lose like it did before.

If the scale hasnt moved in the next 10 days I will reevaluate.. But I am trying my hardest to be patient!.

10 days is not a plateau.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Unless you walk around with your scale and stand on it to show everyone what you weigh constantly, I'd be a lot more happy with inches lost.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If working hard is a daily thing, you're body/muscles are retaining water to help repair the normal damage that is done by exercising. I bet if you didn't go to the gym for 2-3 days, you'd see a 3-4 pound drop in weight.

1. Your*.
    2. Working out daily makes you retain water? Excess water weight is what repairs your muscles? Skipping the gym will cause you to lose weight?

Can you show me any studies that support these claims? Please don't just state random information if you don't know what you're talking about lol. I understand if you're uneducated in certain areas or if you've been misinformed, but spreading information like this onto someone else is another thing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly losing inches and not pounds is the best thing you could possibly hope for for your fitness. I think it means one of two things:

Either

A) You are lifting weights and in response your body is retaining water in your muscles leading to an increase in weight that is offsetting the loss of fat. Water can replace the weight you are losing but not the inches given it will be in muscular tissue and is considerably less dense than fat.

B) You are gaining muscle in addition to losing fat in which case you are boosting your metabolism and greater accelerating your fat loss leading you to better health and overall fitness.

Honestly the goal should ALWAYS be to lose inches not pounds, people are way to obsessed with their scale weight.

I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't lost a pound over the last month and a half but my waist has dropped an inch and a half. Am I upset by that? Heck no I'm ecstatic.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Unless you walk around with your scale and stand on it to show everyone what you weigh constantly, I'd be a lot more happy with inches lost.

Hah hah hah, great mental image.